does anyone use a MINIDISC anymore?

seifukusha

• Members

I got a nice CD player right when Minidisc players were coming out, and by the time that was getting a bit aged, decent MP3 players were out. I went straight from the CD player to a 20GB Creative MP3 player.

Once the creative crapped out (6 months later), I stupidly bought another Creative. The next one, what do you know - crapped out after another 6 months. Returned it and bought a Zune 30GB.

The Zune, while it has a lot of hiccups, is a pretty decent player. I'm really liking it now that Microsoft updated all the firmware on the 30GB models.

Basically, I missed the minidisc thing entirely. :idk:

It seemed pretty short lived IMO.

• Members

Yeah they're wonderful for recording and have sound quality that's close to a cd player's. Those are the two big advantages that they have. And go for Hi-MD if you decide to buy one, it's a much larger storage format than the standard MD.

• Members

Yeah they're wonderful for recording and have sound quality that's close to a cd player's. Those are the two big advantages that they have. And go for Hi-MD if you decide to buy one, it's a much larger storage format than the standard MD.

• Members

I totally skipped the MD phase. I won't argue how good they are, but I honestly think that if it wasn't sony behind the brand, it just wouldn't have taken off. I use an Edirol flash based mp3/wav recorder and it kicks ass, good stereo mics built in too.

• Members

I used to have a minidisk 4-track recorder, it cost far too much but at the time i thought - ah this must be the future and so i bought one. Not long after everything changed to hard disk recording and my minidisk one was out of date. Now i record everything on my Mac.

Also i used to use normal minidisks for storing my tracks instead of tape, again it seemed like the way forward but now it seems as redundant as tape.

Can't stop the relentless march of progress i guess.

• Members

I use mine for snowboarding as i doubt an ipod could take the abuse that it does. Once it fell out after a rough landing, and sat in the snow for a whole run, just laying there playing. Still works fine. Also good for recording, just hook to the outs of a PA. If only sony didn't make it hard to extract songs for them, bastards.

• Members

I had my MD players in the days of ATRAC 3-4. At one point I had a shelf unit 'cuz it had ATRAC 'R' or something like that. The compression was worse than a CD, better than an .mp3, I think. Anybody know the specs on different ATRAC versions?

Anyhow, MD was sexy as hell a couple years before the .mp3 player came out - mine also had the little in-line remotes so you could control it from your lapel. Beautiful. Best I had was the Sony MZR-55.

• Members

Sony MD >>>>> Ipod.

great recording tool. very nice for playback stuff as well

only con is it is much more sizeable and accessory dependent than an mp3 player. That said, i wear Bose buckets over my ears, so one would say the whole small and compact argument is lost on me

• Members

I never had one for recording purposes. But I did by a combo back that came with a component player/recorder for your stereo system, as well as a portable player.

Unfortunately they were the early version, and neither piece had a computer interface and I don't think they'd accept AAC or whatever filetype Sony starting pushing.

I need to dump them on eBay.

• Members

I used them a lot for a few years, but not much now. I still have my Yamaha 4-track mini disc recorder that I sometimes use for live shows. When I do solo concerts of ambient music, I'll be playing two or three synths and also do live mixing of backing tracks and sound effects that I've recorded. One thing I like about mini disc is that it is a very reliable medium. I also like the large lcd display on my 4 track that I can easily read on a darkened stage.

• Members

I have a Sony MD player and it has one big redeeming feature... It will play for nearly 40 hours on a single AA battery. Amazing in that it has to spin a physical disc. Never saw an all electronic MP3 player do that. Other than that they suck because of the crappy software to load the files.

• Members

I've been using my Sony since 1998 without a hitch. I have a nice-ish Sony stereo mic (with a boom) that I use for ambient, phonography, type recording. Nice little set up that has never let me down. Audio quality is excellent and it's really simple to use. I can't actively monitor the recording, but I've still managed to get some nice stuff that I've used here and there.

I used to have a Sony minidisc deck that I made lots and lots of mix discs on. Still have most of them.

I also have a Sony 4 track minidic player that I abandoned once I started recrding direct into the computer (It went away with my Alesis and Boss drum machines). Sounded great about 7 years ago and I still have most of the recordings I made with it -

It was nice technology before decent sized flash drives, etc. I'm still going to keep using my little portable for recording (until it dies).

(Oh, man - I think it just caught fire - - - )

Archived