DL4 vs. SMMw/h for looping

squareking

• Members

don't get the dd20 for looping. it's only sound on sound, meaning you record something and it just repeats forever until you stop it then it stops forever, you can't turn it back on.

i don't have any experience with the SMMwH, but with the DL-4, you can record at half speed, giving you 28 seconds of looping. the footswitches from L to R:

1. Records

2. Starts/stops the loop playing

3. Plays loop once

4. half speed, or reverse if you tap twice quickly

• Members

I really liked the SMM/H you have 30 seconds of looping when looping you can change the tempo of the loop with the tap tempo switch and if you bend down the pitch as well. Then you can keep the loop looping and switch to a different mode like 300ms+mod and have some cool chorus delay ambiance playing behind the loop or do the 1 second reverse and have a riff playing in reverse behind the loop for crazy effects :love:. Hope this helps now I got to go buy one after talking about it ;)

• Members

I'm having deja vu.......

SMMH! Dude!

I wish it could save loops though. I end up recording them onto ProTools cause some loops have come out so cool.

:wave:

:wave:

That's one thing I dug about the RC2. Why couldn't it have been just a lil better? :mad:

I like the DL4's dedicated reverse switch, though. Kinda nifty. Hopefully the podunk GC here will have both the DL4 and SMM for me to demo.

• Members

I like you.
:thu:

Moar in-depth review on the SMMH? What was good and what was bad?

alas, I didn't play much on it. however, to vouge (sp) for the dl-4 does double time/half time, reverse, reverse double time/half time. It can add delay before and/or after a loop has been recorded, and has one time loop features, and automatic restart, which is convenient in a band to restart each measure to insure being in time better than it playing continuously. It is indeed one of my favorite loopers.

• Members

alas, I didn't play much on it. however, to vouge (sp) for the dl-4 does double time/half time, reverse, reverse double time/half time. It can add delay before and/or after a loop has been recorded, and has one time loop features, and automatic restart, which is convenient in a band to restart each measure to insure being in time better than it playing continuously. It is indeed one of my favorite loopers.

The smmh does all of that. I'm not sure about the automatic restart thing but it will do the rest.

That said, I wouldn't get the smmh if you want a looping pedal. It's a very very feature rich delay with a little looper thrown on at the end... I would definitely get something that would allow me to save loops.

• Members

Put it this way,

Minus The Bear could not do what they do without DL4's. I love them!

This is true, BUT Dave has added a RC-2 in the mix and apparently uses both in tandem live.

Keep in mind that he also uses several DL-4's to do what he does.

That said, he definitely is a badass! :thu:

Archived