Wits end! Help me pick a Fuzz/Distortion.

Neon Soul

• Members

I'm getting pissed off with my sound and think I must be doing something wrong.

For drive I run an 80's MXR Dist+ into a ss Marshall(getting my first tube amp soon, most likely a 2x12 combo) and to heavy things up for solos or hard riffs with a Muff.

I'm guessing a Muff is the wrong pedal here cause I can't get any good sounds.

I'm looking for sounds ranging from RAGE to Sabbath to Jimi. Is there any dist/fuzz that'll cover these sounds for my heavy sound using a strat into previously mentioned amps?

• Members

My MXR dist+ sounded horrible into my SS...it's a pity I don't still have it now that I have tubes!

I would wait until you get the amp before you decide on a pedal because they will sound different when you do...sometimes much better, sometimes different in a way that you can't get used to. Getting a valve amp has made me totally rethink my pedals.

• Members

Point taken. I'll be getting my amp in the next month so i'll just hold on.

Any Muff or Dist+ settings for an ss amp anyone wants to recommend in the meantime?

I've got a gig in a couple of weeks and I don't know whether the amp I will be using will be tube or ss (Borrowing it from the other band for this show incase I don't have mine yet)

• Members

Point taken. I'll be getting my amp in the next month so i'll just hold on.

Any Muff or Dist+ settings for an ss amp anyone wants to recommend in the meantime?

I've got a gig in a couple of weeks and I don't know whether the amp I will be using will be tube or ss (Borrowing it from the other band for this show incase I don't have mine yet)

I used to think my big muff sounded good into SS, the problem you have using it for leads is because of the midrange dip, you are probably finding that it cuts through less than the dist+....try using them the other way round, muff on lowish gain, then kick the dist+ plus on for the lead distortion boost.

• Members

Now that's a true vintage classic combination, but not in a good way. Back when all you had to try to make your SS amp sound like something were things like the D+ and Muff, they really did seem kind of suck pedals.

However, as I keep suggesting, did up any modern silent-switching pedal and stick in front of the Muff so it doesn't load down your guitar and screw with the high end, at least then it gets somewhat natural sounding. You can also try an EQ after the Muff with 1K somewhat boosted to see what the flat mids mod sounds like. Also if the amp has any kind of distortion, sometimes that will smooth things off more than those pedals into the clean channel.

Archived