jazz recomendations

aeroslepperin

• Members

everyone's busting my ass for some sort of christmas list...since the only 3 things on the earth i really want are a les paul, orange amp and 4x12 cab, there ain't much that i really care about.

so i figured i'd take the opportunity to expand my music collection. enter the world of jazz. but i don't know much about where to start. there're 2 coltrane records i want and maybe a mingus record. i own 1 miles davis record and a charlie parker record.

where do i go?

thanks.

• Members

which album?

i forgot to say that the fact that most jazz guys have put out a 50 records makes it harder...

You can start with any one of a vast number of compilation and 'best of' type albums. My favorite one of these is "The Best of the Blue Note Years". You also can't go wrong with "Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane" or his live album from the 1964 Monterey Jazz Festival.

--Edit--

I should also note that the Monk is definitely an 'acquired taste' type of sound. It can be very dissonant and the chord changes sometimes make no sense whatsoever. But give 'em some time... the genius that is behind the music is worth the effort of seeking out.

• Members

It's a wide open world out there man. Do you know what you like/don't like at least a little bit? Bebop? Cool jazz? Fusion? More mellow stuff? Crazier atonal stuff? Classic piano rolls? Big band?

sorry. this post fell thru the cracks. not really. i mean, i know what i like when i hear it, but i haven't been exposed enough to really know the differences between the different types.

i mean, bitches brew has a great vibe, but as i understand it, that's more like jazz-rock than other stuff.

• Members

some excellent intros to various styles:

miles davis - kind of blue; in a silent way; bitches brew; sketches of spain

i've been really into piano recently, so I'll also say anything with:

-ahmad jamal (big influence on miles, even though he's younger, which I thought was cool)

-chick korea

-keith jarrett

... and if you like drums, anything with:

-elvin jones

-jack dejohnette (he's in a trio with keith jarrett, fantastic stuff)

guitar: bill frisell !!!

• Members

sorry. this post fell thru the cracks. not really. i mean, i know what i like when i hear it, but i haven't been exposed enough to really know the differences between the different types.

i mean, bitches brew has a great vibe, but as i understand it, that's more like jazz-rock than other stuff.

Fair enough. Let's see if we can help :) .

If you like Bitches Brew though I'd recommend Miles's In a Silent Way. It's one of my favorite records ever (it and Kind of Blue which if you don't have you need to get. Now. It's simply phenomenal. I have had periods of my life where it has been the only thing I've listened to. It's that good.). Recorded just a little bit before Bitches Brew, In a Silent Way is a little more accessible, not quite as frenetic, although still very much electric, and just an all around incredible record with stellar playing by all involved (Miles, Wayne Shorter, Herbie, Chick Corea, Joe Zawinul, Tony Williams, Dave Holland, and McLaughlin). It is most simply, beautiful music.

Others worth checking out:

Cannonball Adderley - So What (with Miles on trumpet on that one)

Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - Moanin' (another classic)

Stanley Turrentine - Up At Minton's and/or Blue Hour with the Three Sounds (both very, very bluesy, and really mellow, nice records with Grant Green serving up some really stellar guitar work on Minton's)

Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert (solo piano stuff, a little different but very good)

Sonny Rollins - Freedom Suite (excellent bop record, great sax work)

Coltran - My Favorite Things (I prefer this one to A Love Supreme actually, one of his best)

Hope this helps. Good luck on your search. Sorry, my favorite era of jazz is the 50's and 60's but this is a pretty good sampling of that era. If ya don't like them then come on back and I'll recommend some others. :thu:

• Members
Fair enough. Let's see if we can help
:)

If you like
Bitches Brew
though I'd recommend Miles's
In a Silent Way
. It's one of my favorite records ever (it and
Kind of Blue
which if you don't have you need to get. Now. It's simply phenomenal. I have had periods of my life where it has been the only thing I've listened to. It's that good.). Recorded just a little bit before
Bitches Brew
In a Silent Way
is a little more accessible, not quite as frenetic, although still very much electric, and just an all around incredible record with stellar playing by all involved (Miles, Wayne Shorter, Herbie, Chick Corea, Joe Zawinul, Tony Williams, Dave Holland, and McLaughlin). It is most simply, beautiful music.

Others worth checking out:

Cannonball Adderley -
So What
(with Miles on trumpet on that one)

Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers -
Moanin'
(another classic)

Stanley Turrentine -
Up At Minton's
and/or
Blue Hour with the Three Sounds
(both very, very bluesy, and really mellow, nice records with Grant Green serving up some really stellar guitar work on
Minton's
)

Keith Jarrett -
The Koln Concert
(solo piano stuff, a little different but very good)

Sonny Rollins -
Freedom Suite
(excellent bop record, great sax work)

Coltran -
My Favorite Things
(I prefer this one to
A Love Supreme
actually, one of his best)

Hope this helps. Good luck on your search. Sorry, my favorite era of jazz is the 50's and 60's but this is a pretty good sampling of that era. If ya don't like them then come on back and I'll recommend some others.
:thu:

that helps a ton...thanks man....as i sit here trying to digest the 20 lbs of food i just ate, i've been listening to whatever i could find on allmusic, reading, etc....

this entire thread helps. i appreciate it.

• Members

I'll recommend some great albums in various jazz styles from the top of my head. You're safe as long as you stay away from Pat Metheny and Kenny G, though.

Big Satan - I Think They Liked It Honey

Ornette Coleman - Free Jazz: A collective improvisation by the Ornette Coleman Double Quartet

Ornette Coleman - The shape of jazz to come

John Coltrane - My Favorite Things

John Coltrane - Giant Steps

Miles Davis - Miles Smiles

Miles Davis - In A Silent Way

Marc Ducret - News From The Front

Herbie Hancock - Headhunters

Nacka Forum - Nacka Forum

Return to forever - Return to forever

Sun Ra - Space is the place

The Thing - Garage

Weather Report - Heavy Weather

Frank Zappa - Hot Rats

Frank Zappa - Waka/Jawaka

Also, everything by Charlie Parker you can get your hands on.

• Members

that helps a ton...thanks man....as i sit here trying to digest the 20 lbs of food i just ate, i've been listening to whatever i could find on allmusic, reading, etc....

this entire thread helps. i appreciate it.

No prob. I think I'm in a "food coma" myself right now. :D I discovered in high school that I really love jazz and I also really enjoy turning other folks onto some of these gems. There're some other really good recommendations in here too.

Archived