Reverb choise

z1o

• Members

i'm looking into buying a reverb, i mostly play drone / ambient and some postrock... check out www.myspace.com/machinistdrone

setup is lots of pedals into a Fender Bassman 50 215...

money is an issue, so i'm thinking about either a Holy Grail, or a Digitech Digiverb...

i'm considering the Holy Grail because lot's of people use it, but the problem is the volumedrop at higher verb settings...

the Digiverb is cheaper and has more options, but i've never played a Digitech pedals...

what would you do?

• Members
i'm looking into buying a reverb, i mostly play drone / ambient and some postrock... check out
www.myspace.com/machinistdrone

setup is lots of pedals into a Fender Bassman 50 215...

money is an issue, so i'm thinking about either a Holy Grail, or a Digitech Digiverb...

i'm considering the Holy Grail because lot's of people use it, but the problem is the volumedrop at higher verb settings...

the Digiverb is cheaper and has more options, but i've never played a Digitech pedals...

what would you do?

...You're trying to choose between ELECTRO-HARMONIX and Digitech? For realzies?

Go with the Grail and never look back.

And, out of my own curiosity (as I play the same type of music as you do), what other pedals are you running?

• Members

that's cool, do you have a website?

my current guitarboard is: dod compressor - mxr blue box - woolly mammoth clone - super hard on clone - dod meatbox - ibanez de7 - akai headrush e2 - Bassman

the SHO also works as an Y and sends the signal to a feedbackloop, a boss gt3 and a PA..

what's so much better in the EHX? i know it has more mojo...but still...

• Members

if you're prepared to spend a little bit more $
you really should look into the Line6 Verbzilla
has very convincing classic verb sounds and some unique extreme reverb sounds, it just doesn't do the flerb sound like the Holy Grail
anyway, I was plannig to get the Holy Grail, but when I A/B's both I bought the Verbzilla, still glad I did

other than that, it has a lot more to offer, a lot of users complain about noise issues, but I have no real complaints there (Voodoolabs Pedalpower2 does the trick)

• Members
that's cool, do you have a website?

my current guitarboard is: dod compressor - mxr blue box - woolly mammoth clone - super hard on clone - dod meatbox - ibanez de7 - akai headrush e2 - Bassman

the SHO also works as an Y and sends the signal to a feedbackloop, a boss gt3 and a PA..

what's so much better in the EHX? i know it has more mojo...but still...

No website yet. I've only got a cheap computer mic to work with for recording, so I can't track any good sounding drums. I use line-in for guitar bass and keys, which sound decent, but the drums not being mic'd properly is holding me back.

How do you like the Blue Box? I've been thinking about getting one lately, as well as a Fender Blender...

Good choice on the DE7 too. I use one as well and IMO, it's the best delay you'll find under $100. :thu:

As for the Holy Grail, I honestly just prefer the sound of it. It's simple, yes, but it also sounds amazing. I've always found Digitech pedals to be very lackluster. I played around with a full board of them a while back (10 pedals IIRC...) and not one of them impressed me. I'm pretty sure the Digiverb was on the board as well. I've always found EHX stuff to be pretty high-quality. Almost all of their pedals are true-bypass, which I like, because they won't suck tone. The switches are good, the pedals sound great, and in general they're just well built. My board right now is mostly EHX, and the rest of the pedals I want are mainly EHX.

Just my opinion. I'd still recommend trying them side-by-side if at all possible. :wave:

• Members

the blue box is pretty cool, but it does have a volume drop, it really works well in combination with the wooly mammoth, the WM brings out the octaves even more... but on its own the blue box has some cool fuzz sounds, i like the gated sounds it produces...

how's the volume drop on the holy grail?

testing them side by side is my next step :)

the Verbzilla looks really interesting but it's just too expensive...

• Members
the blue box is pretty cool, but it does have a volume drop, it really works well in combination with the wooly mammoth, the WM brings out the octaves even more... but on its own the blue box has some cool fuzz sounds, i like the gated sounds it produces...

how's the volume drop on the holy grail?

testing them side by side is my next step
:)

the Verbzilla looks really interesting but it's just too expensive...

I've never heard anything about a volume drop on the Holy Grail. :idk:

Even if there is one, it probably wouldn't be much of an issue. Reverb will be on most of the time, so unless you're flipping it on and off in songs a lot it shouldn't affect anything - and that's just if there is a volume drop.

As for the Verbzilla, IIRC, it's $10 cheaper than the Holy Grail. It may be worth checking out as well. :thu:

• Members

no volume drop? i've heard people talk about a drastic volumedrop when the level is above 12 o clock... but you're right on that it will be on all the time anyway :)

10 dollar cheaper? that's weird... i'm from the netherlands and i can get the Holy Grail for 115 euros and the Verbzilla for 155 euros...

• Members
no volume drop? i've heard people talk about a drastic volumedrop when the level is above 12 o clock... but you're right on that it will be on all the time anyway
:)

10 dollar cheaper? that's weird... i'm from the netherlands and i can get the Holy Grail for 115 euros and the Verbzilla for 155 euros...

Ah...I'm in America, so I'm just looking on Musician's Friend. I didn't realize that the Verbzilla would be that much more.

• Members

I have the Holy Grail and the only issue is the volume drop. the sound is very good and simple of using it.

I dont like the Digitech x-series, made in China pedals are not that reliable... got myself a used Digidelay and it broke in 2 months of use...

Archived