Officially Licensed Circuits and Amp Selection

HMKRich

• Members

Alot of pedals nowdays are made not just to replicate distorting tubes, but to emulate the tone and plying characteristics of specific amps. Many makers do this, from Zvex to Line6, but Officially Licensed Circuits focuses on actual amp sounds more than most.

What types of amps work best with these 'preamp' type pedals? I guess using an AC-30 pedal in front of an AC-30 would work, but what happens when you put a Plexi pedal before an AC-30? Obviously a triple rectifier pedal through a Bassman isn't going to sound like a Mesa stack, but can I make a Twin growl like a Marshall?

• 1 month later...
  • Members

From what I've read and seen on the runoffgroove.com parent site, they model the tonestack of the amp in question, as well.

So, theoretically, they would sound most like the amp they are modelling if you place them AFTER the tone stack(like an effects loop or audio in, or even a PA if you have a speaker emulator), or by setting the tone stack settings to have zero effect on the tone (with fenders and voxs (voxii?) this can be accomplished by setting the treble and bass to zero in both, and the middle where ever on the fender.)

Of course, the speakers and power section might not be the same(and these can have a big effect on the sound), but the closest emulation will be after the tone stack or with the tone stack set to essentially zero.

Of course, let your ears be your guide!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived