Ring Modulators? HOW DO YOU USE THEM?!

Dannibal Corpse

• Members

This seems ridiculous, and it IS ridiculous. I just bought a Moogerfooger ring mod, and I can't figure the thing out. I know it can do a warm tremolo effect... Which is great, but I bought it to sound NUTS. Problem is, even after reading the manual, I still can't figure out where to throw it in any song, because the tones are so disgusting and horrific... At least what I come up with is. I have an expression pedal plugged into the frequency input, but I still don't know what I'm doing, and I really don't understand what difference it makes where I turn the frequency knob, it still just sounds gross! Anybody got any advice on how to use this insane effect in a cool way, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks

_Danny

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It may sound more musical if you tune it to the key of a given song, e.g., C, G, E, etc. This can be done using a tuner or by sustaining notes on your guitar and matching pitch.

I usually set the ring mod on my Magicstomp to near ultrasonic frequencies/low blend so that it sounds like a simplified decimator/bit reducer-type effect.

• Members
This seems ridiculous, and it IS ridiculous. I just bought a Moogerfooger ring mod, and I can't figure the thing out. I know it can do a warm tremolo effect... Which is great, but I bought it to sound NUTS. Problem is, even after reading the manual, I still can't figure out where to throw it in any song, because the tones are so disgusting and horrific... At least what I come up with is. I have an expression pedal plugged into the frequency input, but I still don't know what I'm doing, and I really don't understand what difference it makes where I turn the frequency knob, it still just sounds gross! Anybody got any advice on how to use this insane effect in a cool way, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks

_Danny

That Moog Ring Mod Sucks!!! Do yourself a favor and get rid of it. ill give you $100 for it right now.:thu:

• Members

It multiplies two signals. It has this odd mathematical property that results in some weird {censored} going on in the frequency domain. You get something like the sum and difference of the frequencies of the signals out of it, so you will get odd modulation and freaky noise out of it. You want to figure out what frequencies you are feeding into and calculate the output so it produces something musical, or just odd noise if that is your thing. You need two signals, usually one is from an oscillator like a sine wave, the other is an instrument or another oscillator.

you get something like

freq1+freq2, freq1-freq2 out of it if I recall. It can sometimes sound like FM modulation, if you ever heard that. That is for a pure sine wave. A guitar doesn't put out a pure sign wave.

• Members

Well it's actually amplitude modulation, and it is literally multiplication in the time domain, which turns out to be convolution in the frequency domain, but I didn't want to freak the guy out too much.

In analog it is just a couple of diodes in a ring, which is why it is called a 'ring' modulator.

In digital it is really just a multiplication, and usually oversampled because of aliasing.

• Members
they can be fun to sing through...
:idea:

I just recorded a band and they have a waltz...we ran the lead vocal through the Frequency Analyzer and the lead guitar through a Ring Tone...never heard a Waltz before with Ring Modulation, but it sounds cool...not over the top, but adds a slightly 'off' vibe.:thu:

• Members

I LOVE using a ring mod type sound. On my Flanger Hoax there are quite a few ring mod settings that can be used, and I'll turn them on and just jam out with it now and then.

A favorite of mine is to put it on, then play a tritone heavy, bizarre riff. It sounds especially cool when the rest of the song is normal sounding, then the bridge comes in with just a single guitar with an oddball ring mod flavored riff. :thu:

• Members

I just bought a Moogerfooger ring mod, and I can't figure the thing out. I bought it to sound NUTS. Problem is, even after reading the manual, I still can't figure out where to throw it in any song, because the tones are so disgusting and horrific... Anybody got any advice on how to use this insane effect in a cool way, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks _Danny

First try playing a dirt pedal after it, setting the Ring Mod MIX about 50% to 60% clean. So you have clean guitar and ring mod into the dirt pedal. This makes for controllable playing of pitch.

Like was said, tune the pitch to a note. If you set it for A for instance. All A notes on the guitar will give you different sounding ring mod. You can play D in pitch and kinda fake out the turn around of E. So you can play 12 bar blues ring modulated.

The grand trick to do is using the Carrier IN. Input an another sound source into the Carrier IN. The sound source replaces the pedals internal oscillator. Try inputting a Drum Machine pattern, Synth arpeggiator, CD or a Loop sample into the Carrier IN. Now play the MOOG. If it was the Drum Pattern you can play drums ring modulated and change their pitch playing different notes on your guitar. Play a 6 note chord and hear the drum pattern in 6 pitches. Slide your hand around bending notes. Very modern sounding and all and great fun! :)

Archived