Dano Fab series - Initial Impression

killyridols

• Members

WARNING - LONG POST :p

So yesterday, I went down to the nearest guitar center, to see what I could pick up w/ my 20% off coupon. The place was a madhouse, so I didn't get to try anything out, and almost left without pikcing up anything, but then I saw a 4 pack of the dano pedals so I figured "what the hell," If I dont like them I can probably ebay 'em and get my money back anyways.

So with the 20% off the total price was $40 bucks, or ten bucks a pedal. Geez, I wish they had packs like this when I first started playing, I would have eaten this up!! My first pedal (a DOD classic Fuzz) cost me about $50 new 13 years ago.

So I opened up the boxes to inspect the pedals in the car (my girlfriend was driving), they're made of plastic, but seem really solid, in fact much more solid than my old Ibanez Ts-5 tubescreamer, and dano hashbrowns flanger (both of which never gave me problems). I treat my pedals well, so I'm not worried about them breaking. Oh the bright blue LED's were cool, and the fact that the knobs are mounted on the front of the pedal (not the top list most), is cool beacause it make it harder for you to accidently change settings. However the tradeoff for this, is that its hard to see where the knobs are set when experimenting with settings.

On to the sounds!!! I played with each of these pedals (individually) for about a half an hour, using my epi sg into my Little 6v6 single ended Supro amp.

Fab Metal - Does what it says, a pretty razor sharp metal distortion. In fact the pedal is so bright, the tone knob is unusable (execpt maybe for special effect) past 11:00. On the other hand, set it too low and it gets muddy and undefined. The sweet spot is pretty limited, from about 9:30 - 11:00. There is loads of gain in this pedal, I felt like there was plently of gain @ 10:00. The output defintely isn't lacking either. Sound wise, the pedal produces really strong palm mutes, and its easy to hit those artificial harmonics (like a good metal pedal should). It's not very dynamic (sound doesn't clean up when you turn down the volume), but the sound is distinct when switching between pickups. For high gain soloing and chugga-chugga power chords, it sounds great. It's also pretty quiet for a pedal with this much gain Comparison wise, it can't match the dynamics and range of my metal muff, but I do prefer the FAB to a BOSS metalzone (it just sounds more real, and is easier to dial in). Perhaps it would fare better through a 2x12 or 4x12 cab (my supro has one 10 inch speaker). Personally i think this pedal would really shine in a recording environment, plugged straight into the board (and where you have the benifit of outboard eq's), to get those super heavy black metal / industrial type tones. Overall, a good choice for a metal player on a budget.

Fab Echo - WOW!!! This one really impressed me. Think "rockabilly" in a box. The "mix" knob has to pretty much be dimed for the effect to come through, but it essentially gives you about a 50 ms fixed delay with adjustable repeats. A one trick pony, but what a great trick. I was playing some blues licks through it with the repeats set @ 12:00, my neck pickup on and the tone rolled down halfway, and my father thought It sounded like "Lucille." With my bridge pickup, and the repeats cranked, I was able to get a tone similar to Trey Spruance's sound on Mr. Bungle's None of Them Knew they Were Robots. Not sure if its analog or digital, but it sure sounds great. Apparently theres a simple mod to add a delay time knob to these things, however the SMD parts are so small, I'm leery of messing anthing up while modding the pedal. Definetely a keeper!!

Fab Flange - Although it has the same controls as the hashbrowns flanger, the circuit must be different, because it doesn't sound the same. When I first plugged this pedal in I put all the knobs @ 12, and the effect was very subtle, I could hardly notice it. Once you start playing with the knobs, thats when the sounds come out. I was able to get the standard "jet-plane" sound, a cool hollow tube sound, and some neat warbly modulation sounds. Try as i may, however, I could not get any steel drum sound out of this thing (bummer), and it sounds strange (dunno how else to put it) at the end of its sweep. Although this pedal can produce some unqiue sounds that the boss can't get, I much prefer the range and versatility of my old BOSS BF-2 to the FAB. It also doesn't sound quite as rich as the Hashbrowns.

Fab Chorus - I'll keep this short. An excellent, versatile chorus pedal, that easily rivals much more expensive units. The range of both the speed and depth knobs is very wide, and it has a mix knob which allows you to mix in clean signal, which is usually only found in very pricey chorus pedals. Can easily cover the classic Rush and Police chorus tones, plus it does decent faux leslie sounds, and a freaky seasick vibrato with both depth and speed cranked. One niggle, with the mix knob maxxed (i.e. all effected signal), it does seem to boost the level a bit. This seems like the gem of the series. Another Keeper!!

• Members

Forgot to mention, for the price of these things, ALL 4 of them are great:cool:

However, the only one that really has a chance on my board is the chorus. (I'd consider the echo, but my DE-7, can do what the echo does + plus much much more, and I don't have the space for an additional pedal)

• Members

Yeah, I really want to try the distortion, it gets much love around these parts.

I don't know why they stocked the pack with the metal pedal rather than the distortion. Oh well, I still got a good deal for $40.

Hey If anyone wants to trade a fab distortion for a fab metal, I'd be willing to oblidge.

• Members

Yeah, I really want to try the distortion, it gets much love around these parts.

I don't know why they stocked the pack with the metal pedal rather than the distortion. Oh well, I still got a good deal for $40.

Hey If anyone wants to trade a fab distortion for a fab metal, I'd be willing to oblidge.

Here's a clip I made after reading your post :D

Archived