Opinions YOU have about gear, that may be unpopular...

shaun126

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I hate the sound of a Big Muff on chords, and only sometimes like it on leads.

I hate how hollowbody guitars look.

I think Behringer is a good idea, and can coexist with "Real" pedal makers.

If done properly, robot-assembled SMD circuits can be indistinguishable from hand-wired circuits. There is no "mojo" in that sense.

• Members

I think Fender-, Gibson/Epiphone- and Ibanez-guitars are boring. :o

But this is largely because it's what "everyone" uses over here and it's what you see in all shops.

most of the Ibanez-line = boring

Sigh. I want to see some Godins, more Yamahas, different kinds of stuff..

• Members

--I like some solid-state amps very much

(now, I'm not really a rocker, this could hve something to do with it)

--I don't Think True Bypass cures cancer (I mean I don't find it a panacea)

a) it's mitigating effect is realized only when...bypassed

b) engaged/bypass modes will have different impedence/gain structures (so system-influenced tonal characteristics can be inconsistent between the two modes)

appropriate sometimes, other times...not as much

So, I find bypass issues arebest approached don a case-by-case basis

• Members

I like the ice-shard like quality a lot of Solid State amps and distortions have. At the same time, I don't like the way modern CDs are "in your face", with all the high frequencies. I guess I prefer kind of a middle ground here, nothing too hi-fi, but still with a certain harshness. I guess that's why Bauhaus appeal to me so much, they're exactly that.

Though for some stuff you definitely need hi-fi mixing.

• Members

I don't really care for the Dual / Triple Rectifiers. Boogies used to be cool... those aren't - at least not the way a lot of people have theirs set.

So true! Soundgarden was only band that got a good sound with Rectifier and I'm pretty sure Kim set the gain way lower then modern bands do.

• Members

1) PCB amps can TOTALLY rock.

2) Amps with a solid state rectifier (or really a solid state anything!) can totally rock.

3) Plywood IS a top-notch tonewood.

4) The more options/mods/tweakability your rig has the less time you'll spend using it to make music.

5) A lot of the best gear on the market today is made in countrys that aren't popular on guitar forums by people who can't afford a decent life for their familys and it STILL rocks.

6) Pedal boards & power supplys suck. I only want to run through the pedals I plan on actually using that night & I want to run 9Vs and I want to change the order of my pedals & where the knobs are OFTEN. Yes, I know this conflicts with #4, but so does my whole signature. Oh well.

• Members

I don't like the sound of Dual/Triple Recs. For that matter, most Mesa's have way too much gain on tap which leads to people overusing gain. I have a Boogie and never turn the gain up past 3.

Reverb is an effect that kills the liveliness of your sound and buries it in the mix.

I don't like TS-style pedals all that much.

Don't even get me started on the Big Muff and Fuzz Faces.

I prefer bolt-on necks.

After a point, tube and pickup swapping becomes frivolous.

Solid state doesn't really sound all that bad, its just like anything, dial it in.

If you spend over 15 minutes dialing in the sound, it isn't the gear.

People tend to buy way higher wattage amps than they need. Too many people end up just using preamp gain.

I don't get Wilco. (I do play in a band that sounds a lot like them, but I really don't get the appeal)

I don't get the appeal of Gretches. I never liked the feel. I really like the sound though.

I don't get the need for millions of pedals. I actually like bands that kind of have set clean, crunch, and lead tones, and don't sound like they have a guitar player with MDD. Don't get me wrong, I like variation, but subtle variation where you know it still is the same guy playing.

I'm sure there's more. :D

• Members

Celestion Vintage 30 speakers are {censored}.

Strats are {censored}.

Joy Division are {censored}.

Flamed woods and quilted finishes look {censored} (generally...)

That's the '2am having just had a nightmare about being attacked by a bunch of xenomorphs from the Alien movies' opinion. I was Sigourney Weaver in this dream, one of the xenomorphs bit me and I ended up growing an alien claw out of my vagina. So I'll also say my dreams are {censored}. Ugh.

• Members

I thought of another one that is SURE to be unpopular around here.

Reverb pedals SUCK, I hate them.

There, I said it.

I totally agree with these points. I played a Dual Rec years ago when they first came out and fell in love with it. Didn't buy it, tried another one years later and couldn't dial in a decent (to my ears) sound, and the whole PRS/Les Paul ---> Dual/Triple Rec is very pedestrian and overused. And I never liked reverb, period. On board, outboard, overboard, pedalboard. I prefer a very subtle echo... Don't know why.

Archived