PEDALBOARD ADVICE HELP! (Ordering & placement?) what goes where?

noirengineer

• Members

-Compressor
-WH1 (Might want to get this true-bypassed by Analogman, so it won't screw with your fuzz factory)
-Nebula
-Hotcake
-Fuzz Factory
-EB Volume
-DL4

Basically the logic is like this, the compressor evens out your original guitar signal and sents a strong, even, compressed signal down the line to your other effects. The WH1 needs to see a good, natural signal from the instrument to track well - so it should usually be first, but if the signal is nicely compressed, it will still be fine, maybe even better. The nebula typically should come before dirt, since it's a phase shifter. I personally like overdrive before fuzz, but you can do whatever you want regarding the fuzz factory and hot cake.

YET, this brings up a big issue. The Fuzz Factory is HUGELY sensitive to the signal it sees, which it prefers to be directly from a guitar, therefore any buffers (i.e. non true-bypass pedals) before it in your chain could potentially change its sound. You seem to be fine, except for the WH1, but the problem is that the Whammy won't track well with the fuzz factory before it in the chain. So you might want to get it true bypassed to get the most out of it.

From here it seems like your volume pedal should follow, so that it controls the overall volume for everything except for delay, which can come after it and give some nice ambience and echo to everything including swells since it comes last. If you want to put the delay in the effects loop, that's your decision - its just a matter of taste.

• Members

I find that Wha Wha, Phaser and Whammy effects go better before compression.

In my board this is the way that I have it:

Morley Wah, Digitech Whammy IV, EVH Phase 90, MXR Super Comp

I find that the these effects benefit from being placed before the compressor for once they go through waht comes out is evened out, so no nasty peaks and valleys from the whammy tracking.

• Members

Comp

Hot cake

Fuzz factory

DL4

The whammy and nebula I'd say are the ones subject to your own taste. For instance, the nebula will give a good sound before or after your dirt pedals, but it's a very different sound. If you pick up a Klon, you'd probably want it after the comp. The chorus would go after the FF.

I'd recommend NOT getting the Klon. IMO there's a lot of pedals at 1/3 the price that do the same thing just as well, and many that'll do the same thing plus a few other tricks too. Do some searches for clean boosts and low gain overdrives to find alternatives. If you're not totally certain you need a chorus, pick up an Arion SCH-Z. They're usuallly $30-40 on ebay and supposedly sound really good. One's in the mail on its way to my house right now.

• Members

Is having a completely "TRUE BYPASSED" setup hurting my signal

or helping my signal? Do I need an RC Booster or Clean Boost of

some sort in this equation?

Does the difference in clean tone through your board vs. straight to amp bother you? If not, then don't worry about it. You're asking a lot of questions that come down to personal preference. What people are saying work well as starting points, but they're by no means laws you have to follow.

About the Klon, check out a Rocktron Austin Gold or Zoom PD 01. Having owned these pedals, they both rock. They have a reputation for sounding similar to a klon for, comparatively, pennies.

Archived