Behringer V-Amp 2 into Fender Champ (speaker input)?

Sutto

• Members

I have a Fender Champ 600 and I'm looking at getting a Behringer V-Amp 2 for playing around and possibly using live from time to time. I know the V-Amp 2 isn't intended for use through an amplifier so I was wondering if it would work to plug the V-Amp 2 into the speaker jack on the back of the Champ so I would bypass the pre-amp. Would that work? I don't know anything about Ohms and all that kind of stuff.

• Members

speaker jack = bad idea. you need to plug the v-amp into an effects return, or poweramp in. I don't think the champ has an effects loop. You can try running the v-amp straight into the amp's normal input, but it might not sound great.

IMHO you should save up for a better amp instead.

• Members

It works best going through a preamp. Be sure to turn off the speaker emulation and you are good. I think the X-vamp is better for this, since speaker/cab emulation can be turned off globally...makes it easier to go from direct config to live config. Not sure if the Vamp 2 can do that, but if it's like the Vamp Pro, then you have to do it for each setting.

• Members

.....the speaker jack on the back of the Champ so I would bypass the pre-amp. Would that work? I don't know anything about Ohms and all that kind of stuff.

although you put a spkr's plug into it, that is a speaker output jack, meaning speaker-level signal comes out of it.

• Members

although you put a spkr's plug into it, that is a speaker
output
jack, meaning speaker-level signal comes out of it.

Ohhhh yeah. :idea: I guess I lost my head there for a minute...that jack is so you can use the amp with a different cabinet. Well, there goes that idea.

What kind of speaker could I use that wouldn't color the V-Amp 2's sound at all?

• Members

What kind of speaker could I use that wouldn't color the V-Amp 2's sound at all?

Ideally you need a flat response system. A keyboard amp or maybe an acoustic guitar amp. A powered PA speaker works pretty well too.

I've ran mine through the effects return loop of guitar amps and it just isn't the same.

• Members

trying to use the 600 as what should be a 'clean' system (read: PA or similar) is gonna be kinda pissing up a rope. which aint to say good/great tones cant be had, but its an endeavor kinda similar to trying to use a can opener to mix pancake batter.

a used powered PA spkr, or keyboard amp, is probably the best bet for this app, which is strictly amplifying a modeller. a guitar amp (being voiced for guitar, from preamp to power amp to spkr voicing) really has no place in the equation, and the simple design of the 600 even less so.

• Members

Ideally you need a flat response system. A keyboard amp or maybe an acoustic guitar amp. A powered PA speaker works pretty well too.

I've ran mine through the effects return loop of guitar amps and it just isn't the same.

Sounds great through a home stereo :) I have even ran mine through an FM transmitter like for IPods (portable radios, etc) and jammed through my jambox with mine :)

After looking through at the 600, it will work best through the low gain input, but like what has been expressed here, it sounds best through a fairly clean setup...I run mine through my Vox Pathfinder with very good results.

• Members

I have a Fender Champ 600 and I'm looking at getting a Behringer V-Amp 2 for playing around and possibly using live from time to time. I know the V-Amp 2 isn't intended for use through an amplifier so I was wondering if it would work to plug the V-Amp 2 into the speaker jack on the back of the Champ so I would bypass the pre-amp. Would that work? I don't know anything about Ohms and all that kind of stuff.

you have to remember that the V-amp2 is kinda old for a digital effect... sounds "old" to my ears, if you know what I mean. I've tried some new digital fx processors (BOss, Digitech) and they sound way better.

I agree with the guy who told ya to save the pennies for a good amp. :cop:

BUT theres lots os things one can do with a V-amp. even that it looks like is made for rock and roll/hard/heavy sounds, it sounds better for other kinds of music IMHO.

• Members

I have a few other amps, including a '65 Fender Vibrolux Reverb, so I think I'm set in that department. I'm looking at the V-Amp 2 mainly for headphone practice at night and was just wondering how I'd go about using it for a small gig if I wanted to go that route.

• Members

sorta depends on what you wanted to accomplish (specifically) at the gig. if you wanted to say, have the sound of a marshall rig thru the mains, you could send the vamp right to the board and voila. by using a tuner (or similar) as a signal splitter, running it gtr-->tuner you could have one output go to the vamp--->PA, and the other output go right to your 600. this gives you the ability to use the 600 as a (straight guitar) monitor, as well as a 'feedback generator' sorta thing with the speaker right there. fx from the vamp could be used, but wouldnt go through the 600.

something like that maybe?

• Members

I have a few other amps, including a '65 Fender Vibrolux Reverb, so I think I'm set in that department. I'm looking at the V-Amp 2 mainly for headphone practice at night and was just wondering how I'd go about using it for a small gig if I wanted to go that route.

cool man, nice amp.

for practice as you want it, I guess it will work perfectly. it has lots of effects, guess all a guitarist wants.

I still have mine but the thing that really makes me trash it is the fact that it "kills" the sound of your amp. it has a pre-amp bypass but still I dont like the tone out of it. could never use live for rock and roll sounds.

• Members

Please allow me to offer a different opinion than the ones above.

I will agree with the flat response comments, mine sounds great through the P.A. live... although the high end needs a slight cut before running through the main's horns.

For my live rig I currently run through a 20 watt w/8" speaker Rogue amp & a 150 watt w/ 15" Laney Bass amp.

Using the L2 settings one channel is dry (no effects) and I run it to the Rogue, and the other is wet (full effects) and run it to the Laney, then from the Laney's balanced output to the P.A.

I try to run the Rogue with EQ set to "5" or flat... but the bass amp has a few frequencies adjusted to balance the sound more to guitar frequencies. Speaker emulation is used, and I run directly from the line outs on the V-Amp to the passive or low impedance inputs on the front of the amps. No effects loops or anything, just plug them in like an instrument.

I get wonderful, full, warm clean sounds on songs like "Drift Away" or Hendrix blues type tunes, and gutsy midrange punch on Bad Company tunes... then singing distortions for the Ozzy stuff.

Its an amazing toy, this V-Amp 2, and I am looking forward to living the rest of my life as a guitarist without ever waiting for tubes to warm up or fail in the middle of a set again.

• Members

.....living the rest of my life as a guitarist without ever waiting for tubes to warm up or fail in the middle of a set again.

never seen a tube/tube amp just fail in the middle of a set, and thats after 10+yrs constant gigging with tube amps (as well as the amps used by other band members and other bands on the bill), and going to shows for 25+yrs. going back through my collection of bootlegs, even in the early yrs of zep/aerosmith/beatles/fleetwood mac/who/kinks/etc, there was a surprising lack of spontaneous/mid-set tube amp failure.

as for tubes warming up, if one plugs the amp in as soon as its in the venue, the warmup thing is a non-issue. when one gets to the practice space, fire it up before jackets are off or beer gets to the fridge.

using a tube amp is much less dramatic than your post makes it seem, or at least can be, if one approaches it with logic and a bit less fear. i mean, i still cook omelettes with old-fashioned eggs, even though an egg could break on the way home from the store, or could go bad within so many days. i approach eggs with a bit of care and logic, and dont waste time fearing worst-case scenarios. its a very small price to pay for a good omelette. :)

the vamp2 rocks though, i'm with you on that. :thu:

Archived