EH Holy Stain

KjStrat62

• Members

the fuzz is straight fuzz, the distortion is straight distortion

no gain control

but is sounds good

same with the other effects, tremolo hall and room reverb and pitch shifter

there are some good sounds to be had

(pitch shifter clean sucks though, it has to be used with the fuzz or distortion)

but overall, it is easy to get great sounds

but it is not at all easy to finetune those sounds, not enough control over it

fun pedal though

my fav pedal for the past 4 weeks

definitely worth the 85$ or what (I paid 95

• Members

The two reverb modes sound the exact same tone wise. Not bad reverbs, but not amazing; they are unique though. The tremolo is good, but nothing too special. The pitch shifter is crazy (in good and bad ways). It is very tweakable. The fuzz isn't too bad, but I don't like the dirt. In the end I returned mine after a month of not using it that much. Would rather have a Boss reverb.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Did anyone notice that if you set the COLOR knob in between the notches and play in FUZZ or DRIVE modes, you get a bigger louder better sound?

Kinda cool. Maybe not enough improvement to make me keep this pedal, but I live a few blocks from a Gcenter, so I took one home for a demo tonight.

We'll see.

• Members

I have absolutely no need for one at all. I mean, none whatsoever. I have four fuzzes in a row, a DE7 that does echoes/light reverb fine, amp reverb that's not too bad, and a Flanger Hoax for all modulation. I'm also going to add a SMMH and LPB-1, and probably a Polychorus as well in the near future.

And yet....I Still want a Holy Stain. :cry:

• Members
I have absolutely no need for one at all. I mean, none whatsoever. I have four fuzzes in a row, a DE7 that does echoes/light reverb fine, amp reverb that's not too bad, and a Flanger Hoax for all modulation. I'm also going to add a SMMH and LPB-1, and probably a Polychorus as well in the near future.

And yet....I Still want a Holy Stain.
:cry:

This is our disease.

• Members

Did anyone notice that if you set the COLOR knob in between the notches and play in FUZZ or DRIVE modes, you get a bigger louder better sound?

Kinda cool. Maybe not enough improvement to make me keep this pedal, but I live a few blocks from a Gcenter, so I took one home for a demo tonight.

We'll see.

I'll try that setting in the am. Thanks for the tip

• Members

I have decided to take my EH Holy Stain back to G-center.

None of the sounds really work for me-- I think of this as a toy, not a piece of gear that I would use.

The lack of control, inability to save patches like other "multieffects," and the poor quality sounds make this pedal a poor choice for my live playing-

Maybe I could find a few fun solo sounds to screw around with, but for recording purposes, I have vintage and boutique fuzz, real tube reverb, analog delays, and higher quality tracking modulation effects- plus real amps to get my crunch tones...

Even if I didn't have any of the gear that I have-- I would rather spend the money on a little practice amp with some DSP capabilities than on this pedal- At least I could control the amount of gain/drive.

my 2 cents.

• Members

Look guys, that holy stain, even tho i admit i havent tested it yet, seems to me like that fluke pedal called the worm. EHX multieffectx tend to give 3 or 4 second rate multieffects that you can tweak, but they never sound the real thing. Like someone said, thats a toy, not a music gear.

As soon as I read that it included revebr, trems and dist,I knew right away, that this pedal is not for me

• Members
Look guys, that holy stain, even tho i admit i havent tested it yet, seems to me like that fluke pedal called the worm. EHX multieffectx tend to give 3 or 4 second rate multieffects that you can tweak, but they never sound the real thing. Like someone said, thats a toy, not a music gear.

As soon as I read that it included revebr, trems and dist,I knew right away, that this pedal is not for me

we've been told.:o

• Members

I picked up one of these from another forumite a couple weeks ago.

$100 shipped and paypalled with a PEEP and a lavacable ... but I sold the PEEP & cable for $40 .... so I only paid $60 for it really. *Nice*

I have to say that I really like mine, but generally speaking, I've only used the reverbs and the trem so far. Once I get a MicroPOG I plan to use the detune with that (similarly to how you'd use a Shallow Detune setting on the Whammy), but I haven't really experimented with that much.

What sucks most so far is trying to incorporate a mulitFX box in a stomp rig. I'm a "set it and forget it" kind of guy usually, so bending over to adjust things is kind of a pain... It also is frustrating for placement. I had this before my DL-4 cause I thought I'd use the FUZZ more .... but delayed reverb SUCKS live. Then again, when I'm looping with my DL4 ... I want some reverb in places ..... but because it's after my delay, it's all or nothing.

I generally run it on clean, but the fuzz is real nice ... so I'll kick that in too, but not with any of the other FX usually (sometimes the trem, but that's it). It's cool because I can have a reverb or a tremolo ... and then a fuzz box if I want it for leads or whatever. But still, there's all that knob twisting between songs.

I'm not much into the Drive setting ... I like my modded BD-2 or my amp better.

It's a good little box for $100 new ... lots of fun FX, but not something you'd want to bend over and change before every song. I usually just have it set for a nice reverb. It's cool to know that I could have all the other stuff... but I bought it for the 'verb.

----

PROS: Sounds great, daisy chain-able, lots of features

CONS: Only 1 effect at a time, lots of knob twisting, no gain control

----

Also, if you twist the 'Mix' knob past half, there's a LAME-O delay between your note and the reverb'ed note. Mine is usually right at/under half. Something to know.

• Members

I picked up one of these from another forumite a couple weeks ago.

$100 shipped and paypalled with a PEEP and a lavacable ... but I sold the PEEP & cable for $40 .... so I only paid $60 for it really. *Nice*

I have to say that I really like mine, but generally speaking, I've only used the reverbs and the trem so far. Once I get a MicroPOG I plan to use the detune with that (similarly to how you'd use a Shallow Detune setting on the Whammy), but I haven't really experimented with that much.

What sucks most so far is trying to incorporate a mulitFX box in a stomp rig. I'm a "set it and forget it" kind of guy usually, so bending over to adjust things is kind of a pain... It also is frustrating for placement. I had this before my DL-4 cause I thought I'd use the FUZZ more .... but delayed reverb SUCKS live. Then again, when I'm looping with my DL4 ... I want some reverb in places ..... but because it's after my delay, it's all or nothing.

I generally run it on clean, but the fuzz is real nice ... so I'll kick that in too, but not with any of the other FX usually (sometimes the trem, but that's it). It's cool because I can have a reverb or a tremolo ... and then a fuzz box if I want it for leads or whatever. But still, there's all that knob twisting between songs.

I'm not much into the Drive setting ... I like my modded BD-2 or my amp better.

It's a good little box for $100 new ... lots of fun FX, but not something you'd want to bend over and change before every song. I usually just have it set for a nice reverb. It's cool to know that I could have all the other stuff... but I bought it for the 'verb.

----

PROS: Sounds great, daisy chain-able, lots of features

CONS: Only 1 effect at a time, lots of knob twisting, no gain control

----

Also, if you twist the 'Mix' knob past half, there's a LAME-O delay between your note and the reverb'ed note. Mine is usually right at/under half. Something to know.

Word

• Members

I love the tremolo on the Holy Stain. It's kind of nasty and can get nice and choppy. There's some 'verb in that trem. I wish I could save presets though...
I've had a Diaz Tremodillo (too smooth for me) and a Wiggler (nice pedal, but more of a vibrato) that I should not have sold, but this fits the bill. IMO well worth $100 bucks.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived