BYOC Fuzz

bvester

• Members

I believe they are as follows:

Large Beaver = Big Muff

MKII = Sola Sound Tone Bender MKII

Ultimate Fuzz = Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face

Hah, I know that. It says it on the website. Just wondering if anyone has opinions on which are good..I'm not exactly sure what I want in a fuzz though so that's no help.

• Members

Hah, I know that. It says it on the website. Just wondering if anyone has opinions on which are good..I'm not exactly sure what I want in a fuzz though so that's no help.

I built the Large Beaver. I did the Creamy Dreamer mod (put a switch in so I can toggle between the stock sound and the CD mod) and I put in a switch that boosts, scoops, and has a stock position (3-way switch) for the Mids. But the newer LBs will have this as part of the build.

I'm not a fuzz guy, but I really like my pedal. It's pretty versatile - you can turn the fuzz down and the volume up for a low-fuzz sound, and then crank it up for some synthy sustaining sounds - especially w/ the CD mod.

Mainly I use my BYOC Screamer that I built w/ some mods to boost my leads. I find the LB and my MESA Tremoverb's dirty channel don't play nicely together. But on the clean channel, fuzzy goodnes:thu:

• Members

Theyre all good pedals but the muff is a little off sounding with the film caps.

can you elaborate on this?

I bought a LB that was already built and im thinking of doing some mods on it. It has a mids switch but im not sure if its wired right because i dont notice any difference at all. If i go in to fix that and clean up the wiring, what are some good mods to do?

• Members

If I were going to do one of those I'd just buy the PCB and source the rest.

+1

The GGG boards are actually smaller and nicer if you want to go that route.

Vintage muffs used all ceramic disc caps which give a harsher tone to the fuzz which makes them sound more like... a big muff I guess. I would keep your BYOC one stock and build a GGG one with some socketed parts so you can do all the muff comparisons and see what you like.

• Members

i built the mk ii and the fuzz face, have an usa reissue muff and a little big muff...

all 3(4) sound different, i'm not a fuzz face guy i think but thats personal taste. i can't live without muff and mkII...

no matter what you buy first, if you start liking fuzz you will get somewhen one off each type anyway :D

• Members

Large Beaver vs. MKII vs. Ultimate Fuzz

:confused:

The large beaver will get you floyd and pumpkins tones, MKII will get you Zeppelin tones, Ultimate fuzz will get you Hendrix tones. I'm generalising here, another generalisation would be to say that the large beaver is the most complex sounding and the ultimate fuzz is the more basic sounding fuzz.

• Members

+1

The GGG boards are actually smaller and nicer if you want to go that route.

Vintage muffs used all ceramic disc caps which give a harsher tone to the fuzz which makes them sound more like... a big muff I guess. I would keep your BYOC one stock and build a GGG one with some socketed parts so you can do all the muff comparisons and see what you like.

How are a lot of the GGG stuff vs BYOC?

Ive thought about buying up a bunch of boards lately to start building some stuff...

• Members

If you buy the MKII kit it's not hard to mod to Ultimate Fuzz specs (1 DPDT switch and some wire, or an additional resistor if you want to be really precise), although you'll be stuck with Germanium transistors, no Silicon ones included with the MKII. Most of the Beavis mods for the Ultimate Fuzz will work on the MKII kit as well. The only downside is that it's positive ground, so will not work if you daisy chain it with other effects, most (all?) of which are negative ground

By that reasoning, the MKII kit gives you two fuzzes in one, so if you're looking for a general use fuzz and you're not particularly taken with the Muff sound or desperate for the option of a Si Fuzzface, it might be the one to go for :thu:

Archived