Tonestack?

HMKRich

• Members

It's the part of the circuit that deals with the tone knob(s).

On my 5E3, the tonestack was quite simple it's one knob (potentiometer) which attaches to the volume of one of the inputs. Later in the circuit both chanels share the cathode of the first tube, so each channel would be impacted by the position of the knob, but obviously the one directly connected had a greater impact (the tone knob did very little on the "mic" channel).

My MKIV has a much more complecated tone stack including knobs for treble mid and bass for the lead channel, and seperate mid knobs for clean and crunch...let's not forget the shared clean and crunch bass and treble knobs.

Where the tonestack is in the circuit also has an impact. I believe the MKIV tonestack is before the gain stages (tubes) so it interacts differently than if it were placed later in the chain (like the graphic EQ is on that particular amp).

It really boils down to the fancy way of saying tone controls. It includes the pots, resistors, and capacitors as well as their placement in the circuit.

I think.

• Members

So when talking you're about "tonestack mods', you talking about modding the amps tone control/ eq section? When I see a 'tonestack amp kit' that just means that the kit has tone knobs?

Yes to the first. As for the second - I think that's probably what they mean - includes external tone controls. Or maybe just a kit to mod the tonestack in an existing amp?

• Members

So when talking you're about "tonestack mods', you talking about modding the amps tone control/ eq section? When I see a 'tonestack amp kit' that just means that the kit has tone knobs?

it could have the pots....it could also contain capacitors and resistors. yeah it's the eq section or sections (multiple channel w eq).

Archived