OT: PEEPS WHO GAVE UP ON PC's

sdresdre

• Members

People who bash windows needlessly are as stupid as those who think macs suck.

Each platform has its benefits and drawbacks. Personally, I would never buy a mac desktop--they are way overpriced and underpowered (unless you get a Mac Pro, which is overpriced to the point of being ridiculous)--especially since I build my own PCs for easy upgrading and maximum power/dollar. I run Windows XP Pro and Ubuntu linux on my desktops.

Laptops, on the other hand, are a different matter. Macbook Pros are one of the best portable computers you can buy, period. They are powerful, not *that* expensive (well, ok, they are, but its not as bad as the desktops), and great for media production.

Each operating system has benefits and drawbacks. If you think that mac offers the software you need to get your day-to-day stuff done, go for it. I highly suggest investing in a MBP rather than, say, a regular iMac, just because you get a good laptop instead of a mediocre desktop.

• Members

People who bash windows needlessly are as stupid as those who think macs suck.

Each platform has its benefits and drawbacks. Personally, I would never buy a mac desktop--they are way overpriced and underpowered (unless you get a Mac Pro, which is overpriced to the point of being ridiculous)--especially since I build my own PCs for easy upgrading and maximum power/dollar. I run Windows XP Pro and Ubuntu linux on my desktops.

Laptops, on the other hand, are a different matter. Macbook Pros are one of the best portable computers you can buy, period. They are powerful, not *that* expensive (well, ok, they are, but its not as bad as the desktops), and great for media production.

Each operating system has benefits and drawbacks. If you think that mac offers the software you need to get your day-to-day stuff done, go for it. I highly suggest investing in a MBP rather than, say, a regular iMac, just because you get a good laptop instead of a mediocre desktop.

Fair enough. We use IMacs at work and they rule for all our graphics and editing apps. The few windows computers we had were crap by comparison. I mainly prefer macs because they run smoother and have fewer problems.

• Members

Build your own PC. Get good parts. It's really simple. Install Windows Xp. If I suffered from crashes, I'd buy a Mac but this thing runs enough audio bits and bits and downloading things and games and hasn't blown up on me.

I like the {censored}aboutability of PCs. I like pulling out cards and switching things over. Mostly though it's price. Oh, and car driving games. I need my fake tarmac adventures.

• Members

Build your own PC. Get good parts. It's really simple. Install Windows Xp.

+100

but there are many problems both ways, just pick your poison. personally i've used PC's for years and can troubleshoot and work around pretty much anything, macs on the other hand i just get confused an angry. but vista is just as bad...

• Members

Fair enough. We use IMacs at work and they rule for all our graphics and editing apps. The few windows computers we had were crap by comparison. I mainly prefer macs because they run smoother and have fewer problems.

I guess it depends on what the hardware setup is and what you're doing. I own several PCs running Windows XP, (1 used to run Vista) and Linux. I work in an environment where I use Macs and Linux PCs all the time. I am very comfortable fixing all 3 operating systems, so that counts for something. Overall, the custom-built Windows PCs are faster (both with Linux and with Windows) than the Mac PCs, just because the Macs have slower hardware (for the same price).

Also, the Windows PCs tend to freeze far less frequently than the Macs, which is kind of counter to the popular lore. When windows crashes, it is almost ALWAYS a hardware or driver problem. This doesn't happen with macs nearly as much because all the hardware is designed to work with the operating system, but the Macs have application level crashes FAR more frequently than my windows PC.

The stigma that windows crashes more than Mac is probably due to the older versions of windows being less stable, and the vast number of technically incompetent people running Windows who don't know how to properly maintain their operating system.

OSX is a great operating system, but I will always be a windows user primarily, in part because of the 100x more free and shareware software available for Windows (especially in the area of sound manipulation) and because I like being able to upgrade the internal parts of my computer. Nevertheless, if I could afford a mac laptop, I would have one, because of their great hardware and superb OS integration with that hardware. They have a good mix of style and functionality (no, they are not the fastest laptops around, but they are plenty fast), and with a Windows virtual machine using VMWare, the lack of good mac software becomes a non-issue.

I used Ubuntu Linux on my laptop for a while, running Windows in a virtual machine in order to run my necessary productivity apps which didn't have a Linux crossover. I eventually ditched that for Windows XP just because XP is so much more stable and compatible with my hardware. Other than hardware driver issues, though, Linux was great.

If you want a computer that will work all the time, and you don't want to know how to deal with computers, bottom line get a Mac. If you do want to have power over your computer, build your own PC. If you go that route, Windows XP pro is the best operating system out there. Vista is horrible in terms of speed and compatibility, and Linux, while a good idea in theory, will plague you with wasted time configuring misbehaving drivers and looking for alternatives to your old software.

/rant

• Members

I guess it depends on what the hardware setup is and what you're doing. I own several PCs running Windows XP, (1 used to run Vista) and Linux. I work in an environment where I use Macs and Linux PCs all the time. I am very comfortable fixing all 3 operating systems, so that counts for something. Overall, the custom-built Windows PCs are faster (both with Linux and with Windows) than the Mac PCs, just because the Macs have slower hardware (for the same price).

Also, the Windows PCs tend to freeze far less frequently than the Macs, which is kind of counter to the popular lore. When windows crashes, it is almost ALWAYS a hardware or driver problem. This doesn't happen with macs nearly as much because all the hardware is designed to work with the operating system, but the Macs have application level crashes FAR more frequently than my windows PC.

The stigma that windows crashes more than Mac is probably due to the older versions of windows being less stable, and the vast number of technically incompetent people running Windows who don't know how to properly maintain their operating system.

OSX is a great operating system, but I will always be a windows user primarily, in part because of the 100x more free and shareware software available for Windows (especially in the area of sound manipulation) and because I like being able to upgrade the internal parts of my computer. Nevertheless, if I could afford a mac laptop, I would have one, because of their great hardware and superb OS integration with that hardware. They have a good mix of style and functionality (no, they are not the fastest laptops around, but they are plenty fast), and with a Windows virtual machine using VMWare, the lack of good mac software becomes a non-issue.

I used Ubuntu Linux on my laptop for a while, running Windows in a virtual machine in order to run my necessary productivity apps which didn't have a Linux crossover. I eventually ditched that for Windows XP just because XP is so much more stable and compatible with my hardware. Other than hardware driver issues, though, Linux was great.

If you want a computer that will work all the time, and you don't want to know how to deal with computers, bottom line get a Mac. If you do want to have power over your computer, build your own PC. If you go that route, Windows XP pro is the best operating system out there. Vista is horrible in terms of speed and compatibility, and Linux, while a good idea in theory, will plague you with wasted time configuring misbehaving drivers and looking for alternatives to your old software.

/rant

Great post. I agree.

• Members

I switched to a Mac about two weeks ago. It's kind of like learning a new language. I feel like an idiot when I have to go to the help menu to perform some simple operation that I've done countless times in windows. Then again, I am an idiot, so it kind of works out. If you do decide to switch, I recommend going to www.austrailianmac.com. It has a ton of short little tutorial videos. Option B: Force your brother-in-law to hate you because he's worked with Mac's for years so you call, email, and text message him a really excessive number of times a day and ask him questions like "How do I do this?" and "What's the OSX term for this Windows term?" and "Can this be set up like this?".
I hope something in there was helpful.

• Members

Conversely you never see Mac users saying "I wish I had saved money and cobbled together a {censored}box PC only to have to have years of experience learning how to patch the OS together to make it work correctly."

Mac users generally have their computers work for them, instead of the other way around.

/thread

• Members

/rant

Application level crashes are my biggest peeve but usually you just force quit and reopen. With hardware crashes you have to complketely reboot and that takes too much time when Im on a 5-10 minute deadline.

• Members

I've never owned a mac. They are expensive. If I had the money, I'd try one, but I like my pc for games. If it wasn't for games I probably wouldn't buy a mac, I'd probably just go back to running FreeBSD or whatever. Cheap and good. I haven't upgraded to xp and really have no desire to do so. There does seem to be some elitism with the mac crowd, though.

edit:
Oh yeah, I was talking about mac laptops. I wouldn't get a mac dekstop, but if I ever get the money for a laptop, I might try a mac instead. It's not like pc laptops aren't {censored}ing expensive as hell either.

Archived