Sovtek Mig 60 pedal recommendations

apoxacilin

• Members

anyone got one of these amps and had good experiences with certain pedals.

Nearly all I've read about it is written by people who don't seem to use pedals or think that the Sovtek was built for stripped down, amp-overdriven, crunchy punk (which it may have been). But, I'm just curious what your opinions are, about any kind of pedal if you'd like, but more particularly concerned with reverb, od, and fuzz.

I play a japanese strat from the 80s through it mostly.

• Members

I don't know about the Mig 60, but I just acquired a Mig 50 and it's glorious. My Rat pedal just sounds amazing through it. I found that I don't need to have the drive as high to get the same effect I would if it were with my Fender Twin. It is great for just a stripped down no nonsense sound. My DMM doesn't sound too fantastic with it, but without an effects loop it's the best can do. Plus my CE-2 chorus has never sounded so good. real organic and easy on the ears.

• Members

thanks ya'll. I've been meaning to try the rat; all of my favorite early nineties guitarists seems to use it. For whatever reason I've just never tried one.

I did get decent sounds out of a Japan-version Boss Super Feedbacker pedal (Which i guess is just a Japanese DS-1 really), but unfortunately I sold it, stupid. I also sold one of the russian big muffs, which seemed to do well also.

I have yet to try any type of tube screamer through it.

• Members

I had one briefly and from what I remember, it took pedals well. I really liked the BOR through it.

I flipped mine to buy a 69 Bassman. The money Sovteks are going for is crazy!

c

edit: forgot that mine was a Mig 50H...

• Members

^^ they may sound great but the build quality and components are pretty cheap.

I've had one for 12 years, gigged with it, gone through many moves, and I've never had a problem, apart from occasional retubes.

From what I understand, they're pretty easy to repair/upgrade as well.

I'd love to pick up a Mig 60 sometime.

• Members

I've had one for 12 years, gigged with it, gone through many moves, and I've never had a problem, apart from occasional retubes.

From what I understand, they're pretty easy to repair/upgrade as well.

Thats great but really none of this has anything to do with the cost of the parts that were used in making the amp..they are cheap parts. There is a reason that they sold for so cheap new and that reason wasn't the high quality parts. Would I buy another sovtek...sure would if the price was right. Would I consider it a quality made amp...no.

and btw....I am not callling them "cheap pieces of crap" -- I disagree with the "crap" part.

• Members

Thats great but really none of this has anything to do with the cost of the parts that were used in making the amp..they are cheap parts. There is a reason that they sold for so cheap new and that reason wasn't the high quality parts. Would I buy another sovtek...sure would if the price was right. Would I consider it a quality made amp...no.

and btw....I am not callling them "cheap pieces of crap" -- I disagree with the "crap" part.

Relax, I'm not disagreeing with you--just wanted to point out that, despite using cheap parts, I, and other people I've known, haven't had reliability issues over the years. But, YMMV....

• 1 month later...

Archived