Similar amps to a Deluxe Reverb?

veil

• Members

So I've decided that a more portable solution to my Twin Reverb for small gigs is a Deluxe Reverb. But, at the benefit of cheaper price, I'd like to consider knock-offs or other branded amps with the similar sound and features? What's out there? :wave:

• Members

Look at old gibsons from the 60's, like a GA35RVT or anything similar. For instance:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1964-Gibson-Hawk-GA-25-RVT_W0QQitemZ330192350013QQihZ014QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

These are great amps, well built with PTP wiring, nice tube reverb and tremolo. They're usually about half the price of DR's, or even less. I played this one and it sounded great. Not a lot of drive on its own, even dimed, but great reverb and a nice fendery clean tone.

It's funny, when I played that one they were selling it for $350 ?

• Members

Look at old gibsons from the 60's, like a GA35RVT or anything similar. For instance:

These are great amps, well built with PTP wiring, nice tube reverb and tremolo. They're usually about half the price of DR's, or even less. I played
and it sounded great. Not a lot of drive on its own, even dimed, but great reverb and a nice fendery clean tone.

It's funny, when I played that one they were selling it for $350 ?

Ahh, that's what I'm talking about. Anything in the series that has just a 12" or something? 12"x8" is still a bit much

• Members

I use an Ampeg Super Jet as my main amp, and it really has an beautiful 3D clean sound. I also have a silverface twin which needs some work at the moment, but I do have some experience comparing them. Big beautiful cleans from both amps, although I would say the Ampeg is a little deeper sounding.

The only issues I have with is it's lack of a tone controls (It only has a tone control, but it is well voiced, so it hasn't been too much of a problem) and its reliability. I have am actually on my 3rd super jet, as I have had two fail on me before. But they do give you a 5 year warranty, and they did renew that warranty for me when they replaced my amp. But still, it sucks to find yourself without amp while they get you a new one.

• Members

an amp you may want to look into is a peavey delta blues. they come in 2x10 or 1x15 and go for $640 on MF. it's a 30W 12AX7-EL84 amp w/ a clean and lead channel and w/ reverb & tremolo. not sure about the sound but the features are comparable to a drri and it's cheaper.

• Members

an amp you may want to look into is a peavey delta blues. they come in 2x10 or 1x15 and go for $640 on MF. it's a 30W 12AX7-EL84 amp w/ a clean and lead channel and w/ reverb & tremolo. not sure about the sound but the features are comparable to a drri and it's cheaper.

Ahh, that's interesting. How does it compare to the Classic series, like the Classic 30?

• Members

it's in that same series i believe. it's the same as a classic thirty but with a different cab, speakers and it has tremolo IIRC.

That's awesome. I'm listening to clean clips of the Classic 30 and I actually think it sounds great, so if it sounds like that I think it would be perfect. Also, it has the advantage of a 2nd channel and an effects loop. Hmmmmm

• Members

don't quote me on the delta blues being the exact same design as the classic 30 but i think it is. it has the same pre and post gain controls on the lead channel like a classic 30.

drri = '65 deluxe reverb reissue

Alrighty. I think I'll check them both out after work today, if I can find them. :idea:

Archived