Using multiple stereo effects

haroldthegreat

• Members

Hello everyone, longtime lurker, but first time poster here.

Tonight I finally got around to running two amps in stereo through my delay and chorus pedals. I tried both my Malekko Echo 600 and my Maxon CS-Pro through my Ampeg SJ-12T and my old Fender Champ at once, and all I have to say is that I am a stereo convert. What a huge sound!

Anways, my question is if there is any way that I could be running both my delay and chorus pedals in stereo, since not only is the huge stereo sound amazing, but the true stereo chorusing and having one amp for dry and one for wet on the delay is rad, and I want it all. Can anyone here help me out?

• Members

Hi, welcome to the forum. I'm not really sure how to solve your problem but I've been gigging with a stereo rig for years and I'll tell you how I do it.

I run a bunch of boutique dirt boxes and a few other effects into my old Boss GT-3 multi effects unit. From there it goes into two Mesa Mark Series amps. I don't use any of the preamps, overdrive/dist or amp modeling on the unit. Only the delay, chorus, modulation, reverb, slow gear and delay. I have all my delays set to ping-pong and all of my effects parameters are assignable to the expression pedal. I get some really amazing sounds.

To me delay with two amps spread at least five feet apart seems like a waste of sound. Once you get used to running stereo it's really hard to go back.

• Members

Hello everyone, longtime lurker, but first time poster here.

Tonight I finally got around to running two amps in stereo through my delay and chorus pedals. I tried both my Malekko Echo 600 and my Maxon CS-Pro through my Ampeg SJ-12T and my old Fender Champ at once, and all I have to say is that I am a stereo convert. What a huge sound!

Anways, my question is if there is any way that I could be running both my delay and chorus pedals in stereo, since not only is the huge stereo sound amazing, but the true stereo chorusing and having one amp for dry and one for wet on the delay is rad, and I want it all. Can anyone here help me out?

W/D/W setup

• Members

Being that I'm too lazy to Google that chorus and delay to get the specifics... I'm assuming the problem is that both are Mono-in?

If you don't want to try and add anything to to the setup, I'd recommend the chorus, then mono into the delay (which is pretty typical) and stereo out to your amps.

Otherwise, I think the only potential solutions would somehow have a signal splitter so that the chorus and the delay were essentially running in parallel and get the signal from your dirt signal at the same time, in which case you'd have 4 signals (2 lefts, and 2 rights) that you'd need some sorta 4-in 2-out mixer to mix back together. However I don't know if there are any phase or ground loop issues with something like that. And also the repeats in your delay wouldn't have the chorus on them.

Another scenario would be to split into stereo at the chorus, and then feed the delay signal with only one side. So one amp would have the dirt + chorus, the other would have dirt + chorus and delay. In esscense it's more like a "split" setup than a traditional stereo, but in my experience you get alot more interesting results with a bigger sound, because each amp has it's own sound.

• Members

So it seems I can't really have my cake and eat it too eh? That's too bad. Now I guess I have to decide whether I want stereo chorus or stereo delay...

Does anyone know anything about the Pedalboard furman makes? I seem to recall hearing something about it haveing some kind of a stereo patch bay. Could that possibly be the answer?

Also, thanks so much for the responses guys! I have been to lots of forums where getting any feedback is pretty rare. Much obliged!

And sorry Zachman, pardon my noobishness, but what exactly is a w/d/w setup? wet/dry/wet? And how exactly would that work?

• Members

So it seems I can't really have my cake and eat it too eh? That's too bad. Now I guess I have to decide whether I want stereo chorus or stereo delay...

Does anyone know anything about the Pedalboard furman makes? I seem to recall hearing something about it haveing some kind of a stereo patch bay. Could that possibly be the answer?

Also, thanks so much for the responses guys! I have been to lots of forums where getting any feedback is pretty rare. Much obliged!

And sorry Zachman, pardon my noobishness, but what exactly is a w/d/w setup? wet/dry/wet? And how exactly would that work?

No worries... Basically the middle "Dry" cabinet is your unaffected pure amp tone. That tone is then routed into your effects and then routed to a separate power source (Usually a stereo power amp), which runs 2 speaker cabinets Stereo ("wet")

Go here and check out some of the design concepts:

http://www.customaudioelectronics.com/frequently_asked_questions.htm

Archived