Looking for a good multi-effects pedal for a decent price

TheDrewzer90

• Members

Ok, so i'm doing research on what effects pedal I should buy. They're many brands out there and I've never owned one so I donno what I like. But I just want a good one. I heard digi-techs arent that great but thats just what I've heard. Please help!

p.s. lately i've been looking at the Tubed effects pedals. those look BA

• Members

Magicstomp, a very underrated unit in my opinion.

For me, MS is great with discrete effects, but I don't think it's that great as a multi. Kinda limited when you use it that way (and kinda unlimited when you use it for single effects).

I like the Boss multi's ME-50 is really good, and the ME 20 is similar in quality, but cheaper and with fewer effects.

• Members

I own the GT-8 and PODxt. Tried the ME-50 and Vox tonelab LE. If I needed a multi-effects I would get the Tonelab. Second choice would be PODxt Live floor pedal. I hear the DigiTech GSP 1101 is a breakthrough but never tried it.

Otherwise I would stick to individual pedals with true bypass.

• Members

I've owned a POD, many Digitechs (RP300, GNX3, and GNX4) and the Tonelab. I like the Tonelab the best. Editing is really easy in the Tonelab, you just twist the knobs like you would a stompbox. It's also got a 12ax7 preamp tube, which I think enhances the dynamics of your playing. The only knock on the Tonelab is the super high gain tones - it takes some tweaking to get some usable sounds.

Coincidentally, I have a Tonelab for sale. PM me if you're intersted. I'm selling it because I'm getting rid of all my modelers/mfx.

• Members

^^^^Macfar14, the 12AX7 isn't being used as a preamp tube, it's being used in a dynamic circuit which changes with the amp currently selected to model the power amp response characteristics, like a low wattage virtual power amp - that is what makes the Tonelab have such a tube-y feel to it, though it honestly doesn't sound very different at all from the Korg AX3000G when you record the two of them - there are differences, but they're more in the player's perception of the feel of playing than in the recorded output (not to say that the feel of playing doesn't contribute!)^^^^

If you're going for something genuinely inexpensive, the Korg AX3G and AX5G are mad cheap and sound great (Korg, aka Korg/Vox/Marshall: it uses the same preamp modeling as the Tonelab, but it doesn't use the Tonelab's "Valve-Reactor" circuit, just regular digital modeling of the power stage). I use an AX3G at the end of my signal chain for its great reverbs and as a tuner. It can be had brand new for like $50 or so, shop around.

The Tonelab SE/LE is fine, but I really love the Zoom G9.2tt. Extremely underrated modeler, thanks to zoom's rather unimpressive amp modeling in the past - they've bounded far, far beyond their previous efforts with this one. Awesome MFX unit, great effects on it too. It has, bar-none, the best stompbox modeling of its price-point competition. Not only did they take the time to accurately model some hard-to-find effect boxes, they actually made them sound great used as intended - in front of an amp, as a boost or overdrive or whatever. The Klon Centaur model is great, and the Hotbox+ is a better amp-warmer than I've ever used on another modeler. The Tonelab and AX3G+, the Boss GT-8, and even the Line6 Pod XT/X3 do not have comparably good stompbox models. It was a major selling point for me.

• Members

^^^^Macfar14, the 12AX7 isn't being used as a preamp tube, it's being used in a dynamic circuit which changes with the amp currently selected to model the power amp response characteristics, like a low wattage virtual power amp - that is what makes the Tonelab have such a tube-y feel to it, though it honestly doesn't sound very different at all from the Korg AX3000G when you record the two of them - there are differences, but they're more in the player's perception of the feel of playing than in the recorded output (not to say that the feel of playing doesn't contribute!)^^^^

If you're going for something genuinely inexpensive, the Korg AX3G and AX5G are mad cheap and sound great (Korg, aka Korg/Vox/Marshall: it uses the same preamp modeling as the Tonelab, but it doesn't use the Tonelab's "Valve-Reactor" circuit, just regular digital modeling of the power stage). I use an AX3G at the end of my signal chain for its great reverbs and as a tuner. It can be had brand new for like $50 or so, shop around.

The Tonelab SE/LE is fine, but I really love the Zoom G9.2tt. Extremely underrated modeler, thanks to zoom's rather unimpressive amp modeling in the past - they've bounded far, far beyond their previous efforts with this one. Awesome MFX unit, great effects on it too. It has, bar-none, the best stompbox modeling of its price-point competition. Not only did they take the time to accurately model some hard-to-find effect boxes, they actually made them sound great used as intended - in front of an amp, as a boost or overdrive or whatever. The Klon Centaur model is great, and the Hotbox+ is a better amp-warmer than I've ever used on another modeler. The Tonelab and AX3G+, the Boss GT-8, and even the Line6 Pod XT/X3 do not have comparably good stompbox models. It was a major selling point for me.

You are correct. I meant to write that it was a poweramp tube. I haven't tried anything from Zoom since the the 505 days. My biggest knocks on the Tonelab are that I find the ultra high gain tones a little weak and the fact that you can only choose one effect from each group. I saw the G9.2tt - it looks awesome. Glad they included a USB interface.

• Members

There's a Digitech Valve RP7 on the spams right now. It's not mine,but the seller's a geat guy -- I've bought a couple of pedals from him.

I know they get panned a lot here sometimes, but some of the old RP series Digi's are awesome, specilaly for the price they fetch right now.

• Members

I'm in the same spot I want to get some fx but... all in one is where I want to start until I understand the electric world a little better. Alot of options out there so I finally closed my eyes and told the wife I wanted a Boss ME 20. Having a modeler would be nice but I will start with the Boss. My brother has a digitech and it seems nice although I too have read all the crap about the digi's. I guess I'll let you know after Christmas.

• Members

See, I tested the G7.1 a couple of weeks ago and I didn't like it. It does a couple of things very well - the Brit tones and the Rectifier tones were really good, but aside from that I didn't care much for it. I certainly don't think its sounds better overall than the GT-8 but that my opinion. The G9 has two tubes in it and that might make a difference but as for warmth, I'd take a Tonelab SE in a second over the Zoom G7. I can't speak on the G9 as I have not used it myself. Its all just personal preference. The Digitechs get a bad rep. I demoed the RP350 last week and if I could find one used for $100 or so, it would be worth it.

The Boss ME-50 is a very nice piece for the price.

Archived