all i want for christmas is...

rock-lobster

• Members

effects! lots of em. i don't know if i wanna go multi or single yet, but i'm leaning towards multi since my budgets pretty limited (and will be for a while). assuming i capped my budget off at 200, what should i get? i currently only have a crybaby original wah, which i would recommend to nobody. what i'm looking for is:

A good wah (when i think of good wah, btw, i think of jimi's stuff in voodoo child/all along the watchtower and joe satriani's work with the wah)

Delay that i can control the amount/timing/etc of one

good phaser, with an EVH type quality to it (flanger isn't so important to me though)

nice chorus

reverb isn't important either, as i'm fine with the verb on my marshall dsl50

a decent harmonizer

a volume pedal would be very nice too

that might be a little too much on the plate for that kind of budget, but what do you guys think and what would you suggest?

:wave:

• Members
I didn't fully read the thread
;)
my b!

I assumed this was a "All I want for Christmas is..." thread as the title suggests
;)

I'd use the wah you got, find a used Small stone and Small Clone and a DD20, though that puts you about 50$ overbudget depending on of if you can find MF on a good sale day.

ah! :lol: ehh, there's enough of those already :lol:

i seriously dislike the crybaby though. it picks up extreme radio noise and drops the volume when used, and it generally isn't a good wah sound.

so you think i should be looking at single boxes instead of just a big old board then?

• Members

As an ex-tonelab se owner, I can say that I just really don't like the sound of multi-effects pedals... You're using a good enough guitar/amp that using one would probably only be a negative to your overall tone. You could probably mod your Wah pedal pretty easily and cheaply... http://www.torresengineering.com/duncrybabmod.html has some good options, otherwise good wahs don't usually come too cheap... try to just flip your pedal for a vox, that might suit you better anyways.

If you buy a multieffects pedal (especially digitech) you will have to deal with little resale value later on if you decide to flip it to get something different... and trust me, within a few months you will get pretty tired of the multieffects unit, they just sound like they choke people's tone to me.

Oh hey, you're from Atl... come out to smith's on the 10th, we'll be there on our tour that day and I'd love to have some hc people there.

• Members
As an ex-tonelab se owner, I can say that I just really don't like the sound of multi-effects pedals... You're using a good enough guitar/amp that using one would probably only be a negative to your overall tone. You could probably mod your Wah pedal pretty easily and cheaply...
http://www.torresengineering.com/duncrybabmod.html
has some good options, otherwise good wahs don't usually come too cheap... try to just flip your pedal for a vox, that might suit you better anyways.

If you buy a multieffects pedal (especially digitech) you will have to deal with little resale value later on if you decide to flip it to get something different... and trust me, within a few months you will get pretty tired of the multieffects unit, they just sound like they choke people's tone to me.

Oh hey, you're from Atl... come out to smith's on the 10th, we'll be there on our tour that day and I'd love to have some hc people there.

dont go for multi, you will regret it, wait some time until u get some money and buy single stompboxes... the multi sound its just not good

• Members

The disadvantages of multi-effects pedals are that they can be very fiddly to set up and adjust on the fly mid-gig, and the effects modules can be a real mixed bag- one effect might be awesome while another on the same unit sounds like turd, only you're stuck with them all regardless :cry:

My advice? Prioritise what effects you need, research here and elsewhere on the internet to find out what's out there, what's good and what sucks, try out anything you can (your ears are worth a hundred internet reviews) and buy the best sound/build quality you can afford.

DIY can save you a fair bit of cash. If you feel up to having a go at building a kit, check out www.buildyourownclone.com, www.olcircuits.com and www.generalguitargadgets.com. I've got two successful BYOC projects on my board, and I know next to nothing about electronics aside from which end of the soldering iron not to grab hold of ;)

• Members
  • Members
The disadvantages of multi-effects pedals are that they can be very fiddly to set up and adjust on the fly mid-gig, and the effects modules can be a real mixed bag- one effect might be awesome while another on the same unit sounds like turd, only you're stuck with them all regardless
:cry:

My advice? Prioritise what effects you need, research here and elsewhere on the internet to find out what's out there, what's good and what sucks, try out anything you can (your ears are worth a hundred internet reviews) and buy the best sound/build quality you can afford.

DIY can save you a fair bit of cash. If you feel up to having a go at building a kit, check out
www.buildyourownclone.com
www.olcircuits.com
and
www.generalguitargadgets.com
. I've got two successful BYOC projects on my board, and I know next to nothing about electronics aside from which end of the soldering iron not to grab hold of
;)

ehh, DIY, i'm not good at anything like that. maybe DUI... :freak:

but anyway, right now i'm thinking of getting a dunlop 535q, and a boss dd-3 in the near future, and then build on my set-up more when i get the cash. is that a good choice?

• Members

All I want for Christmas is probably just a Pedaltrain 2. I already spent $250 of my budget on an amp, asking for a light meter, and now I have some left over. I have all the effects I want (well, not really, but I'm not going to ask my parents for an Eventide, but maybe for the birthday I will) right now, so I just need something good to put them on, dig?

I actually am pretty happy with my set up as it is right now. I might have to sell the RAT to pay for my amp, depending on how much I get in return for the Orange Rig and everything. But maybe not. I don't want chorus, flanger, or any of that. Once I get my Twin, I'll have reverb on board, and will have a temporary vibrato until the GK2 comes out, whenever that is.

So yeah, just need a pedalboard.

• Members

I bought a 535Q last year to replace and old VOX pedal. It gives me almost too many options to play with. The circuit board inside is double sided, and that helps immensely in getting rid of noise...meaning no more picking up radio stations. The pedal tension is nice too, that part I really like.