What is the Carvin V3 s'posed to be ???

SirJackdeFuzz

• Members

OK Guys, maybe someone can explain to this "non-metal-head" what this amp is all about !

Because i am confused why it is even there :freak:

http://www.harmonymusic.cz/images/Carvin_V3.jpg

I remember when it came out, thinkng, "WOW...at that price it is gonna sell by the proverbial 'truck-load' !", but no-one seems to own one, or even talk about the V3 !

I also thought that with Steve Vai being linked to Carvin, that it will deff help the Carvin Co. to get a much higher profile in the "publics eye", and that too would boost the popularity of the new Mega Monester V3 - looks like i was very wrong at the time :confused:.

I also though that most hi-gain players would flock to this amp . . . but it does not seem to be trend ?

Is the V3, for Carvin, what the Mode Four & Metal Head is for Marshall n'Fender ?

Yes, i know those are SS, but everyone thought that it is gonna sell well with the Nu-Metal crowd :idea: - but got to the scene 4 years too late !

Everyones thoughts are very welcome !

Thanx Guys

:thu:

• Members

This is all just my opinion, but I think Carvin overall has a "Love-them"/"Hate-them" reputation. Those that are open to their guitars and/or amps will always love them, and defend them. Those that think they're cheap knockoffs of other guitars/amps or that they don't really hold a shine to other custom shops work won't want them, ever.

I think the V3 suffers from the same love/hate stance. Their earlier work, namely the X100B models, are praised by some as low cost alternatives to early 80's Marshalls. The Legacy Vai models are considered to be low cost alternatives to Bogners or something (rumor has it the design was based on his Bogner IIRC). So the V3 comes along, and some are gonna pick it up because they see Carvin as a good value, and some are gonna dismiss it because it's a Carvin.

And I think there still are a lot of fans, if you search the amp forum you may find a lot of other threads about them. But probably just as many detractors, too. As for the confusion on what this amp is about, I don't think it's based on anything else, but it's probably slated to compete with high end four channel amps like the Diezel VH4 or Mesa Road King, etc.

• Members

. . .ahhh, understood !

But if what you say is correct, that some folks don like this amp, because they feel the RoadKing & VH4 is "better" it means that the V3 is targetting THAT hi-end market, and for that price, as apoused to the Mesa, or Diezel price it sure sounds like a good deal to me !!!

That also means that Carvin has one eye firmly on the Hi-Gain market sector !

http://www.carvin.com/products/group.php?cid=6 . . . and at these prices, they are well worth a look, IF you are in the hi-gain market !!!

LOL, they even look bad-arse, and intimadating . . .

;)

• Members

OK Guys, maybe someone can explain to this "non-metal-head" what this amp is all about !

It's about suckering people into buying a poorly made, poopie sounding amp and making them think they got an amp that's 100 times better than a Mesa, Marshall or Fender for half the price.

And yeah...they make Steve Vai's signature model...but seriously...his tone isn't as impressive as his chops (which kind of get old once the novelty wears off). :o

• Members

So the V3 comes along, and some are gonna pick it up because they see Carvin as a good value, and some are gonna dismiss it because it's a Carvin.

I tried one out in their Hollywood store...It's three channels of really bad tone. I can't speak for the build quality of this particular model, but I've seen the guts of a few different Carvin amps that were made in the last decade or so...they're not very well built. I have no reason to believe this amp is built any differently.

Now their solid state power amps (at least the one my friend bought back in the early 90's) was built like a tank on the inside. :cool:

• Members

I tried one out in their Hollywood store...It's three channels of really bad tone. I can't speak for the build quality of this particular model, but I've seen the guts of a few different Carvin amps that were made in the last decade or so...they're not very well built. I have no reason to believe this amp is built any differently.

Now their solid state power amps (at least the one my friend bought back in the early 90's) was built like a tank on the inside.
:cool:

I guess i should have said "since you can't generally try before you buy, some people will love them/dismiss them based on the name." You're one of the rare people that lives close enough to a Carvin shop to try them out. I didn't mean to imply that people would dismiss them without good reason, ie you tried it out and didn't like it, just that most people don't even get the opportunity in the first place.

Build quality is an interesting thing. I'd have to agree that in order to keep these amps priced as low as they are, they've got to be using some of the cheaper components out there. But I once had a shop sales clerk state that Rivera amps use high quality parts ie one or a few of them would cost as much as all the parts in most Peavey amps (similar, in my opinion, to Carvin). I've loved the Peavey JSX and 5150II/6505+ amps that I've tried for high gain tones, but haven't liked the Rivera take on the same thing (Knucklehead Reverb and Tre). Cheaper components doesn't mean that Peavey's aren't made well, nor that the Carvin may not be made well as you infer. But I don't think it's always an indication of how an amp will sound/perform.

Finally, I think Carvin is trying to go after the high-gain market with an amp that has a lot of bells and whistles. I'm not saying they can actually compete in that market or not, I haven't tried the V3. Even though I referenced a few amps for the OP, I don't think the V3 could really cop those tones. But for a fraction of the price of either of those, could it fool your ears? Maybe. Or it might just fool you into thinking you had a high quality amp, when in fact.....

Archived