S/S Combo Amp, "Live" Amp-Only Setup, Modeling w/ Clean > Mild Distortion: Pedals?

FenderGuy53

• Members

Effects Pros:

I play a Strat and Tele thru the new Fender Frontman FM-212R.

For "live" amp-only setups (no mixers or PA system), how can I SUCCESSFULLY emulate the big amp sounds AND cover a range from clean to mild distortion with as few pedals as possible?

Thanks for any help.

• Members

I'm not sure how the clean is on that particular Fender, as I haven't played one. I do know, however, that it's a 2x12, so it can probably get a decent thick tone even being solid state.

Personally, if all you want is clean and mild distortion, I'd just pick up a single dirt pedal. :idk:

On the cheap, a Danelectro FAB Distortion may work for you. I've heard nothing but good things about it, and for $15 it may be just what you're looking for. :thu:

• Members

I've tried a FM 212 before. (not sure about the 212R). If your looking for great clean sound, I don't think you'll get it from that amp or any pedal. However your drive channel can sound decent. It always depends on what specific sound you need and what style you're playing. For a mild distortion you may consider an Ibanez TS-9 or Digitech Bad Monkey or MXR Micro Amp in front of your drive channel. (the "more drive" IMO doesn't sound good at all). Otherwise, any boost pedal will probably get you what you're looking for.

• Members

I've tried a FM 212 before. (not sure about the 212R). If your looking for great clean sound, I don't think you'll get it from that amp or any pedal. However your drive channel can sound decent. It always depends on what specific sound you need and what style you're playing. For a mild distortion you may consider an Ibanez TS-9 or Digitech Bad Monkey or MXR Micro Amp in front of your drive channel. (the "more drive" IMO doesn't sound good at all). Otherwise, any boost pedal will probably get you what you're looking for.

I don't know - overdrives can be picky with solid state amps in my experience. I wouldn't recommend an actual overdrive unless he can try it with an amp that's identical to his.

• Members

I don't know - overdrives can be picky with solid state amps in my experience. I wouldn't recommend an actual overdrive unless he can try it with an amp that's identical to his.

That's one of the truest things I've ever read.

If you want an overdrive pedal then I suggest the MI Audio Tube Zone. It works well with any clean amp that I've tried it with. These have been Roland Cube 30, Peavey Envoy, Marshall MG30DFX and a Trace Elliott Bratt.

• Members

That's one of the truest things I've ever read.

If you want an overdrive pedal then I suggest the MI Audio Tube Zone. It works well with any clean amp that I've tried it with. These have been Roland Cube 30, Peavey Envoy, Marshall MG30DFX and a Trace Elliott Bratt.

I also have a Roland 30, in addition to the Fender FM-212R.

So, you like the tonal qualities of the Tube Zone on your solid state amps? Does it make the amps sound and react more like a tube amp?

Thanks.

• Members
I'm not sure how the clean is on that particular Fender, as I haven't played one. I do know, however, that it's a 2x12, so it can probably get a decent thick tone even being solid state.

Personally, if all you want is clean and mild distortion, I'd just pick up a single dirt pedal.
:idk:

On the cheap, a Danelectro FAB Distortion may work for you. I've heard nothing but good things about it, and for $15 it may be just what you're looking for.
:thu:

I'm the rhythm player. Our band plays classic rock and blues. The amp has Clean-Drive-More Drive channels and Reverb. For being as solid state amp, the clean and drive channels are okay. I want to know if there's a way to get a richer, creamier, tube-like tone that will cover the range of music that we play.

Thanks.

• 8 months later...
  • Members
RHYTHM PLAYERS - don't use Effects, dumb ass!!!!!

:facepalm:

You resurrected to flame someone based on an incorrect and illogical bias of yours?

And you call him the dumb ass....

I play rhythm and lead. Commonly I'll have two or three pedals on at once for EITHER. If I have my big pedal board set up, even more.

:rolleyes:

Archived