Cheap guitar and amp, any reason for expensive pedals?

rpeterson

• Members

I'm using an SX strat (with upgraded electronics/pups) and a Danelectro 12 string through an Epi Valve Junior and was looking into some pedals. All I really want is an EQ pedal and something for a slapback type delay/reverb. Would I be fine getting a Danelectro Fish and Chips and a PB&J, or should I go all out and get a Boss DD-3/6 and a MXR KFK-1?

Is there enough difference even through low-end equipment to make the difference in price worth it?

• Members

The Dano Pedals sound spectacular and they are well made pedals, just don't jump on 'em with yer Doc Martins and you'll be fine:)

there's also something about having a CHEAP rig that sounds good, especially when you can make it sound as good or better than other rigs costing 10 times as much:)

• Members

You have decent gear. The only issue I've heard about SX guitars is bad electronics and poor setups. If you've remedied both of those, I don't see a problem at all with the guitar - cheap or not. Same goes for the Dano. It may not be very expensive, but it's unique and can be made to play well.

As for your Epi Valve Jr, why are you worried about that? It's a 5w Class A tube amp. I'd doubt you even *could* make much of an improvement on that for under $500. And even then, you're just gaining wattage, not tone. :idk:

I wouldn't worry about your setup at all. It may not be expensive, but it certainly isn't bad!

As for pedals, I'd recommend the Dano Fish and Chips if you really need an EQ. With the MXR, you're paying quadruple the price for three more sliders and a signature name.

I'd also recommend an Ibanez DE7 over the Boss pedals. The DE7 sounds much, much better IMO, plus it's a lot cheaper at $70.

That only puts you at $100 total over $220-$280.

Which leaves $120-$180 for other pedals. Like a Big Muff, a decent dirt pedal and a bit of modulation. :thu:

• Members

I'm not saying I have a bad setup, it's just a cheap setup :) I love my SX, took me a few days of work to get it into a good place, but now it's just about perfect.

Would something like this be a good beginner setup or is it not versatile enough? (Danelectro blues pedal kit) I was looking at all their pedals and I happened to notice it. Would it be good to get me started or should I just piece together what I want rather than getting a kit?

• Members
I'm not saying I have a bad setup, it's just a cheap setup
:)
I love my SX, took me a few days of work to get it into a good place, but now it's just about perfect.

Would something like
this
be a good beginner setup or is it not versatile enough? (Danelectro blues pedal kit) I was looking at all their pedals and I happened to notice it. Would it be good to get me started or should I just piece together what I want rather than getting a kit?

I'd recommend picking out individual pedals over getting a Dano kit. Some Danelectro pedals are good, but some are garbage.

What's your budget and what are you looking for soundwise? What kind of music do you play?

• Members
I'm not saying I have a bad setup, it's just a cheap setup
:)
I love my SX, took me a few days of work to get it into a good place, but now it's just about perfect.

Would something like
this
be a good beginner setup or is it not versatile enough? (Danelectro blues pedal kit) I was looking at all their pedals and I happened to notice it. Would it be good to get me started or should I just piece together what I want rather than getting a kit?

i wouldnt pay more than 60 bucks for that!
the only thing worth a damn on there is maybe that slap echo.
i had recieved the other dano pedal case (comp,metal,reverb,flange..). it sucked really bad, and i got rid of them all except the reverb.
get a fish n' chips, dd3, and a good dist. that should be around $200ish.

• Members

I don't really have a budget, I'm just looking for 2 or 3 pedals to give me something to work with without spending a whole lot. I do know that I want an EQ though. I like to play a bit of everything, but mostly I go back to post-rock and jazz/swing, I played bass guitar in a big band setting for 6 years, so I suppose that 50s revival rockabilly type stuff is my main focus.

And thank you for the opinion on the kit, I'll avoid it and go single.

• Members

I don't really have a budget, I'm just looking for 2 or 3 pedals to give me something to work with without spending a whole lot. I do know that I want an EQ though. I like to play a bit of everything, but mostly I go back to post-rock and jazz/swing, I played bass guitar in a big band setting for 6 years, so I suppose that 50s revival rockabilly type stuff is my main focus.

And thank you for the opinion on the kit, I'll avoid it and go single.

If you're playing Post Rock, I'd DEFINITELY recommend a fuzz. Particularly an Electro-Harmonix NYC Big Muff. They're ~$80 and are excellent fuzz pedals.

Next would be a delay that not only does standard delay sounds, but also washy, repeat-heavy sounds and self oscillation. For this, I'd still recommend the DE7.

Next, for the EQ, the Danelectro Fish and Chips should work perfectly for you.

And, finally, I'd suggest an overdrive pedal for low-gain sounds, as well as for boosting the Big Muff. I've heard good things about the Digitech Bad Monkey.

• Members

If you're playing Post Rock, I'd DEFINITELY recommend a fuzz. Particularly an Electro-Harmonix NYC Big Muff. They're ~$80 and are excellent fuzz pedals.

Next would be a delay that not only does standard delay sounds, but also washy, repeat-heavy sounds and self oscillation. For this, I'd still recommend the DE7.

Next, for the EQ, the Danelectro Fish and Chips should work perfectly for you.

And, finally, I'd suggest an overdrive pedal for low-gain sounds, as well as for boosting the Big Muff. I've heard good things about the Digitech Bad Monkey.

Bad Monkey:thu:

• Members

yeah, the fish n chips is a good pedal, i'd definitely recommend that one.

as for delay, i'd say go echo park. very versatile and sounds very good, better than the boss delays in both categories (imo of course). they can be had for $109 new now, or i know a couple people had them for sale in the spam thread here for $75ish. make sure you get some kind of power supply though...digital delays eat batteries like none other.

those two would be a killer setup that could keep you busy for a verrry long time.

• Members
for post-rock,swing/jazz,50's rockabilly??? hmm....id maybe try some kind of combination of these:

nano muff

blues driver

ts808

EH deluxe memory man
:thu:
Ibanez AD9

Dano Slap Echo

Boss TR2

Forget the nano Muff. The Double Muff is $10 more and twice as versatile. In single mode it's the same pedal as the Nano Muff. Double mode just stacks a second Muff OD circuit on the first, which gives a lot more fuzz.

In single mode it's by far my favorite OD. But, since it's a bit fuzzy sounding, it may not be the best for rockabilly, swing, or jazz. It's awesome for post-rock though.

Someone hasn't posted the picture of the Squier and the Captain Coconut yet? ;):lol:

Seriously, I'd say the Fish & Chips is a good EQ, no matter how good or bad the rest of your rig is. I have one on my board.

As for delay, I'd look at the Ibanez DE7. Good pedal, does a lot of things, sounds good, very reasonably priced as far as good delay pedals go. It does nice tape-esque slapback, which is perfect for rockabilly.

You'll also want an overdrive. Forget fuzz or heavy distortion for what you're into. A TS-9 (Tubescreamer) or variant / clone would be the most common place to start. If you're on a really tight budget, try the Digitech Bad Monkey.

Forget modulation for the moment - it's not really heavily used (except maybe tremolo) in those styles. Not saying you can't use it, but the big priority is that delay pedal. After that and the EQ, maybe consider a compressor. I like Orange Squeezer clones... they're great for getting that snappy tone. I had Mark at www.OLCircuits.com build me one last year with some custom graphics and a external bias and volume knob. IIRC, about $130, but it's a killer compressor.

There will be plenty of time for you to get into modulation later... :):wave:

• Members
You'll also want an overdrive. Forget fuzz or heavy distortion for what you're into. A TS-9 (Tubescreamer) or variant / clone would be the most common place to start. If you're on a really tight budget, try the Digitech Bad Monkey.

Forget modulation for the moment

:confused:

Aren't fuzz sounds and modulation big parts of usual Post Rock sounds?

• Members

Well, I picked up a Fish and Chips today, already brought some new life to my amp, I forgot how much an EQ can do for an amp. I tried an Ibanez Tubescreamer out, but the one they had was 200 bucks, and as an amateur, I didn't really want to spend more on a pedal than my guitar or amp.

• Members

I'd say get a Danelectro Tuna Melt Tremolo and Fix n' Chips EQ

Then I'd pick up an EHX Little Big Muff for fuzz, and a Digitech Bad Monkey for OD(tube screamer-ish on a budget).

For delay, listen to everybody else and pick up an Ibanez DL7

If you want a chorus, go with an EHX Small Clone.

And most importantly.....use ebay/the used market to pick up everything.

• Members

Cheap-ish overdrives/fuzzes/distortions to check out would include:

BOSS SD-1
Digitech Bad Monkey
RAT
Big Muff
MI Audio Crunch Box and Blues Pro

the GOOD Dano minis are generally agreed to be:

Rocky Road (rotary speaker)
Chicken Salad (vibrato/univibe)
Tuna Melt (Tremolo)
Fish & Chips (EQ)
Hash Browns (Flanger)
PB&J (delay)
French Toast (octave fuzz)

I'd also recommend you consider building some BYOC kits- if you don't mind the DIY aspect (which shouldn't put you off too much if you can solder), they're a good way to get some decent quality kit- classic designs, good quality components, build quality kind of up to you :D- without spending a fortune.

• Members

Music is a weird thing man...

15 years ago Boss was considered low end, cheap, stuff nobody wanted. They wanted the high end rack mount stuff, which is now ironically not worth a whole lot because of advances in digital processing, and the boss pedals are now highly sought after and not cheap.

The secret is to use what you got, and use it right. I have cheap guitars I can make sound great on a cheap amp, and an expensive guitars I can make sound bad on a good amp. You gotta know how to use the gear, you need to read up on the internet and find out what things do, and how they are best used. A cheap-o pedal used right can smoke a high end piece of equipment being used wrong.

• Members
C

I'd also recommend you consider building some BYOC kits- if you don't mind the DIY aspect (which shouldn't put you off too much if you can solder), they're a good way to get some decent quality kit- classic designs, good quality components, build quality kind of up to you
:D
- without spending a fortune.

I've actually been looking into those, I got my BS in electrical engineering, so I'm fairly competent when it comes to electronics, I'm just not knowledgeable when it comes to pedals. Any specific places I should be looking?

Archived