Using pedals on tube amps w/o an FX loop

• Members

What's the Conventional Wisdom re: using pedal with tubes amps that don't have an effects loop?

I'll be getting an Orange Tiny Terror later this month, and I want to add some reverb to my tone. The only place to put a reverb pedal is up front, between the guitar and the amp.

Obviously, things like OD pedals and Blues Driver pedals belong here, but what about other stuff like reverb or wah or delay?

• Members

Conventional wisdom is that delay-based pedals (chorus, delays, reverbs) work better in a loop, but that's not to say these type pedals can't work when run before the preamp. I have a Epi Valve Jr at the moment with a Holiest Grail and Boss Digital Delay in front and they works fine. I think the main problems with putting them out front are a) the preamp amplifying noise made by the pedals and b) low headroom of the pedals causing a reduction in the available signal strength you can hit the amp with. These two problems obvious vary on a pedal by pedal basis. Wahs typically want to be connected directly to your guitar.

• Members

If you're getting the dirt from a loop is crucial for placing your time effects after. But as long as you're not looping or using really long delays it could work fine. If you're using pedal dirt it doesn't make a huge difference in my experience.

• Members

the whole 'in front' thing, and its relative usefullness, is determined by the amount of preamp gain one is using. if you aint using a whole lot, theres no problem running time-based fx up front.

otherwise, no reverb pedal is gonna sound normal, if you run guitar-->reverb-->lot of preamp distoirtion. regardless of the pedal, that just doesnt sound normal, distorting reverberation.

Archived