Help me learn to use my Boss CS-3 Compression pedal!

Samnite

• Members

How do you set this thing up for evening out your tone, but not overcompressing it? If anyone else out there uses it, what do you have your setting on? So far, I haven't been able to get much in the way of usable tones out of it; it just seems to squash the tone, no matter what. Any example settings or suggestions?

Suggestions including the sentiment "throw it away. It sucks" are not really feasible at this time. :)

• Members

How do you set this thing up for evening out your tone, but not overcompressing it? If anyone else out there uses it, what do you have your setting on? So far, I haven't been able to get much in the way of usable tones out of it; it just seems to squash the tone, no matter what. Any example settings or suggestions?

Suggestions including the sentiment "throw it away. It sucks" are not really feasible at this time.
:)

I used it live for a bit with settings from volume=3/4 attack=0 sustain=1/3 to half for both. I found it only works well on funk and clean leads with no overdrive, however not well enough to drag it around to gigs.

I tried it on several amps and found it can help a bad amp sound better but only hurts a good one.

I hope some of that helps.

My opinion may be a bit biased because I went guitar and amp about a year ago and all effects (live) sound lame to me now.

• Members

Yeah, I've noticed that almost any higher setting on the attack or sustain knob just destroys the tone. I was looking for a way to get certain clean recorded solos to really pop. I guess the Boss ain't the way to go. It's not like the cleans on my Prosonic aren't godly anyway...

• Members

I used it live for a bit with settings from volume=3/4 attack=0 sustain=1/3 to half for both. I found it only works well on funk and clean leads with no overdrive, however not well enough to drag it around to gigs.

I tried it on several amps and found it can help a bad amp sound better but only hurts a good one.

I hope some of that helps.

My opinion may be a bit biased because I went guitar and amp about a year ago and all effects (live) sound lame to me now.

then you're in the wrong forum, bro :cop:

• Members

Everything at noon is your starting point - with all four pots at noon, CS-3 does almost nothing to your sound. From there, take any direction you want - if it's more sustain, move the "Sustain" pot to one or two o'clock... Etc.

Gearwire.com - Boss CS-3 Review & Test

[YOUTUBE]4mNQo1nRF54[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

The level knob is self-explanatory, you want it so that it's not boosting or reducing your levels, so keep plucking a note whilst adjusting the level knob and turning the unit on and off so there is little difference in volume when the unit is on and off. You will have to adjust if you turn your amp up or down.

Tone know gives it a more trebly or bassy sound.

Attack is how quickly the not decays (I think) but I'm not so sure about this one. I usually have it around 12 o clock.

Sustain will determine how 'squishy' your tone is. That thick, even, squishy sound will come with a higher Sustain setting but you will find unwanted noise coming into your sound if it is too high. Around 11-12 o'clock is a nice subtle squishy sound with minimal noise.

hope that helps a bit.

• Members

I used it live for a bit with settings from volume=3/4 attack=0 sustain=1/3 to half for both. I found it only works well on funk and clean leads with no overdrive,
however not well enough to drag it around to gigs.

You make it sound like a 4x12.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

+1

It's a very easy mod to make, even for an inexperienced person. Cost-effective, well-documented, good parts. Just follow the directions and don't rush it. You'll have a very usable pedal after the mod, very transparent and musical. :thu:

Archived