My calling in life is to be Iron Butterfly.

squareking

• Members
:love:
Capt. Beyond

Didn't have any Tension Tamer so I opted for mandarin orange spice. Stash makes great tea, but Celestial Seasonings has teh variety.

:wave:

yeah... they has big variety of good teas for cold rainy nights.

and Captain Beyond has big variety of riffs to entertain on these cold rainy nights. Strats and Marshalls? Hmmm, where did he come up with that idea?

• Members
yeah... they has big variety of good teas for cold rainy nights.

and Captain Beyond has big variety of riffs to entertain on these cold rainy nights. Strats and Marshalls? Hmmm, where did he come up with that idea?

Shame no one else has done that before...I mean, a Strat, a fuzz and some loud Marshalls has to be a good recipe for blues rock.

Jimi_Hendrix_02.jpg

• Members
Cool. How is that I've never heard of them before?

Where were you in 1972 or so? ;)

No answer needed, just explains why you may never have heard them. After they were billed as the next new supergroup, Captain Beyond put out three albums and slipped off into obscurity, until about eight years ago when they played at a cool little club in Clearwater, FL.

Supergroup, you might ask? Well, El Rhino was not the only luminary in that group. The bassist, Lee Dorman, also played for Iron Butterfly, the drummer Bobby Caldwell played for Johnny Winter And, and the singer was none other than Rod Evans.

The cuts on one side blended together into a long medley that to this day is well worth the listen.

The second album kinda messed with the formula, added percussion and tried to get a little bit more Santana-ish. I think Bobby Caldwell left, then. The third album lost Evans and added a new singer, Willie something, who was good but no Rod Evans (who goes down as one of my favorite Rock vocalists of all time).

They were definately a cool band - added lots of off times and syncopation to a decidely guitar driven hard rock sound, a true American progressive act (even if the singer was a Brit).

The band was really tight when I saw them in 2000 or whatever it was. Rhino can still play.:thu:

Archived