Ibanez FL9 vs. Maxon FL9

• Members

Maxon used to produce Ibanez FX. Ibanez is now made in Korea or China (I think mostly China), while Maxon continues to be produced in Japan. Maxon uses NOS or proprietary components more faithful to the original circuit designs while Ibanez currently uses "workalike" components that are most of the way there.

In my experience with the two flangers, the Maxon has more headroom and a cleaner sound. The Ibanez has significant artifacting and can sound downright awful. That said, I was able to dial in a good tone with both. I prefer the Maxon, but it is almost twice as much. A small (almost insignificant) niggle with Maxon TB... there is a micro-second of signal cut when you step on it. You get used to stepping on it to avoid this pretty quickly, but for someone used to a buffered pedal and sloppy stomping, it takes a few steps to get used to the mechanism.

• Members

I haven't experienced the weird bypass problem that was mentioned with the FL-9, but I have a Maxon AD9pro and it did it and I couldn't stand it. Made me crazy. I have had almost no volume drop or tone sucking with my FL-9 and I feel it has a great tone for a semi-common flange.

Archived