iPod or Fretless bass?

veil

• Members

So I finally don't have to buy my entire family presents this year, which means I can afford to be selfish and by myself something nice, which I never do.

I really, really want a fretless bass to record with, and I've been looking at the Squier Vintage Modified one, which has great reviews and is $280 new. On the other hand, my iShuffle finally {censored} the bed, and I'm thinking about upgrading to a classic iPod, the 80GB version for $250. My work commute is really really boring without music. I can only afford one right now.

But which do I get?? :cry:

• Members

when i saw the thread title, i seriously pondered the connection. i figured you might have a part in a song that needed to be played on a fretless bass [don't ask me why] and maybe you thought you could cover it live by using an iPod with the sample loaded.

i was way off. :freak:

either way, i never conciously bought an iPod, but when given one as a gift it definitely made me appreciate music more. especially when you can hold your entire collection on them. i say go for the iPod. of course...creating music is always better than listening to music, because you're playing exactly what you want to be hearing.:D

• Members
Yes, and quite a condundrum it is.

Could you live with another ipod shuffle? Then buy the bass, and find a used ishuffle.

Well, I debated that for a while, and decided that I'd rather go for the gold, and have my whole library at once. :idea:

• Members
Go for the bass and just hum to yourself during your commute
:)

Seriously, given the choice, I don't think that I would ever choose an ipod over an instrument. Although sometimes I use my ipod AS an instrument, but still............... bass>ipod
:thu:

Another thing to consider is iPods only seem to last a couple years, whereas a bass well-kept will last decades.

I played it in the store for the first time; it plays beautifully and sounsd great. :eek:

• Members

To me this is a no-brainer. IPod. I drive at least an hour everyday, and the IPod is such a neccesity. It's just, the best. Plus you can get a used squier bass for like $50.

I know man, it's a tough bet. My commute is over an hour a day, and doing it without music (I take the subway) is brutal.

• Members

I know man, it's a tough bet. My commute is over an hour a day, and doing it without music (I take the subway) is
brutal.

You know what I would do, (totally a matter of personal opinion, not sure if you are into stuff like this at all) I would buy a cheap, beat up, used squire bass, yank the frets out, and epoxy the board - Jaco style! I love a good project.

And I would buy the Ipod.

• Members

You know what I would do, (totally a matter of personal opinion, not sure if you are into stuff like this at all) I would buy a cheap, beat up, used squire bass, yank the frets out, and epoxy the board - Jaco style! I love a good project.

And I would buy the Ipod.

It's not a bad idea. I had a friend who did this to his bass. It was a white Peavey that he added gold hardware to and named Jamal.

Is it difficult to do this? I actually have a beat-up Squier P-bass that I bought for $50 a few years ago. The neck on it is pretty bowed, but if this is a project a beginner can do, I'd love to give it a shot. Are there any online tutorials or something?

• Members

It's not a bad idea. I had a friend who did this to his bass. It was a white Peavey that he added gold hardware to and named Jamal.

Is it difficult to do this? I actually have a beat-up Squier P-bass that I bought for $50 a few years ago. The neck on it is pretty bowed, but if this is a project a beginner can do, I'd love to give it a shot. Are there any online tutorials or something?

I really don't think it would be that difficult. I suppose the key thing would be to make sure you don't have a lot of excess epoxy on the board before it hardens, so it's not as difficult to sand afterward. Just google "jaco jazz bass" and see if anything comes up.

• Members

oh and get the ipod, it seems you need it more than a bass right now

then you could start your own project and make a fretless bass, (meanwhile start saving some cash) so if it turns out to be awful, you'll have the cash, or part of it for that awesome bass

• Members

:rolleyes:

Have any of you guys who are saying to just get a cheap, beat to {censored} squier actually PLAYED a Vintage Modified Squier? There is no comparison between a VM Squier and the lower end Squiers. A used, cheap Squier will always be that. The Vintage Modifieds START with specs as good or better than MIM Fenders and can be turned into basses that will give even MIA's a run for their money.

Also, if you're set on getting an MP3 player, get something besides an iPod. iTunes is garbage, and iPods are overpriced thanks to the name. I'd recommend checking into Zunes. They're a bit cheaper, and IMO, are much, much better players. Plus the Zune software is awesome to use. The Zune Marketplace is great as well.

Archived