anybody of you using a ZOOM G2.1u for direct recording?

Santuzzo

• Members

I have a Zoom G2.1u FX pedal, and it has a usb connection. It also has got a miked cab emulator for direct recording.

I was wondering who of you are using this pedal for direct recording?

Do you use it then like a soundcard and also route the output through it?

• Members

I have one and I've used it for direct recording. However, I don't use the usb port. I run a guitar cable out directly into my Mbox and ProTools rig - sounds fantastic. I know you were probably looking for info about the usb connection, but that's the only experience I have with it.

• Members

I have one and I've used it for direct recording. However, I don't use the usb port. I run a guitar cable out directly into my Mbox and ProTools rig - sounds fantastic. I know you were probably looking for info about the usb connection, but that's the only experience I have with it.

Can you tell me more about this?

What's an MBox? Is that a soundcard?

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Yes, use the booster on the EFX1 section. That's helpful.

Also lower the gain on the thing (most models have way too much gain to begin with).

If you need more gain kick them with the booster, it's probably going to sound better that way.

Other than that I don't really know... Depends on the sound you're going for, the 5150 sounds nice on it's own for both rythm and lead - others need the booster and/or a bit of EQ tweaking to work properly.

• Members

I recorded a guy who was using a Zoom G9.2tt the other day, he was using one of the Engl presets. I have to admit, it sound a LOT better run direct that I thought it would. It was for a songwriting demo for a tune he's trying to sell. I'm not at liberty to post it up yet since it's not my song and we aren't finished with it but I'm sure he'll let me post a link at some point once we get it done. We have to do a background vocal, which I think we're going to do today, then get started mixing. The sound he was using was not so much a high gain sound as a pop overdrive sound but it was pretty darn good for being a pedal run direct. I think if you mess around with your 2.1 you should be able to get a good number of usable sounds out of it.

• Members

I recorded a guy who was using a Zoom G9.2tt the other day, he was using one of the Engl presets. I have to admit, it sound a LOT better run direct that I thought it would. It was for a songwriting demo for a tune he's trying to sell. I'm not at liberty to post it up yet since it's not my song and we aren't finished with it but I'm sure he'll let me post a link at some point once we get it done. We have to do a background vocal, which I think we're going to do today, then get started mixing. The sound he was using was not so much a high gain sound as a pop overdrive sound but it was pretty darn good for being a pedal run direct. I think if you mess around with your 2.1 you should be able to get a good number of usable sounds out of it.

Thanks !

I'd be curious to hear it if at some oint you can post a link.

I guess the G9.2tt has so many more functions and sounds than my 2.1, but still you are right, if I tweak enough and try out different possibilities I should get pretty good sounds out of it.

• Members

Had it sold it...didn't like the digital distortions...they sounded, well...digital. As all modellers do.

I used to think like that, too.

And I remember when I tried my G2.1 in the store I thought it sounded very good, then at home I wasn't too happy anymore.

But somewhoe I found out, for direct recording the distortion sounds better than when I just use the pedal plugged into an amp, IMO.

So, for playing I would use my amps distortion and the Zoom's FX, but for recording I want to use the Zoom, at least as long as I don't have a decent soundcard, and a microphone and all that stuff that I'd need for miking the amp.

• Members

Can you tell me more about this?

What's an MBox? Is that a soundcard?

The Mbox is a recording interface box that you plug your instrument, mic, etc. into to record into ProTools via usb.

As far as the distortions on the G2.1u, I was disappointed at first, but after some serious (but user-friendly) tweaking, I got some awesome sounds.

Archived