Who has tinnitus?

EvilSoup

• Members

I'm 44 and have been in bands since high school. At various points I did it for a living. I never wear plugs. Yes, I get some ringing from time to time and if I'm in a completely quiet environment I can hear the "vacuum cleaner" if I make an effort at it, but even the average low level office noise overcomes it.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I do. I'm 18 and unlucky.
:(

I'm well past 18, but I have significant and permanent hearing loss as well as mild tinnitus. I often cannot understand speech, especially in a noisy environment, and must ask people to repeat what they said. The loss is not so much due to age as to exposure to LOUD music and noise.

I've found Gingko Biloba to help the tinnitus, but not the hearing loss. I've read that supplements of vitamins A, C, and E, and magnesium and lipolic acid, help prevent hearing damage from loud sound, but they are NOT a substitute for good hearing protection. Cotton in the ears helps a bit but is not sufficient - you must get good earplugs!

Once your hearing is impaired, it's impaired for life. Perhaps if the fools allow stem cell research to proceed they will find a way to regenerate the functioning cochleal cilia that are destroyed by noise exposure. Until then - what was that you said??

Guitar pedal design engineering, repairs, and custom mods:
http://howard.davis2.home.att.net/

• Members

ohh, i have high pinched feedback kind of sound in my ears from time to time. i dont mind it.

that'd be it, Like seriously i dont know if it is normal because no one has ever been in anyone elses body to notice what it is like to not have it. I have had it forever and i get used to it, when i sleep its frustrating though

• Members

yeah, had it for as long as I can remember. Must have damaged my ears from a loud bang or something a couple of years back. It's annoying as hell sometimes, to think that most people don't hear this stuff!! It's there constantly eveyr minute of every day. I don't notice it most of the time but when i do it's very loud. I don't abuse my ears now - I wear earplugs when drums are being bashed and have headphones on low volume.

damn it!!

• Members

I sometimes have a slight ringing after playing a loud set, right next to the drummer. I need to get some of the nice ear plugs that allow the highs though and don't make everything sound like mush. I do hear things differently out of my ears, though. For example, talking on the phone sounds completely different depending on which ear I've got it up to. My left hears less highs and does an annoying buzz at certain frequencies. :(

• Members

I don't have it. And I don't plan on ever getting it. I spent a lot of money on my molded plugs and earphones to try and keep it that way. They are really great at what they do... they cut sound by about 30 decibels and are largely 'colorless' so music doesn't really sound muffled at all. Hopefully they will continue to do their job. And I'd suggest that everyone here also invest in some high quality ear protection. After all, as musicians, our single most important asset is our hearing.

• Members

What do you guys recommend for earplugs that don't muffle everything? I tried the standard ear plugs early on for playing guitar, but they muffled everything way too much. I have a set of shooting headphones that I use for drumming that work well for drums, but take away nearly all highs, so they aren't really usable for guitar.

Any recommendations?

• Members

I've got tinnitus bad enough to where I can't sit in a silent room without feeling really uncomfortable. Like if there's no AC or fans on like in the winter I can't take it, but as long as I have a little fan on when I go to so sleep it doesn't bother me too much.

There was an instance a few years at band practice where I f'd up my right ear by getting a little too close to speaker while playing, felt a sharp pain in that ear, and have had a ringing in it ever since. I've also worn ear plugs religiously ever since.

Those Pantera and Metallica concerts I went to as a teenager without wearing earplugs didn't help.

The guy we record with put a dB meter up to my amp a few weeks back. 120 dB coming from the speaker :eek: and that's only from a 50 watt head on medium volume. Might be time to turn down a bit. ;)

• Members

Yep, I've got a contant high pitched hum in my left ear. A Deep Purple concert a couple of years ago made it noticeably worse.

Like that dude earlier in the thread I've got TMJ too, which may or may not contribute depending who you read. I'm a mess...

• Members

I've had very slight tinnitus since I was a young child.

It only happens with very specific frequencies, I haven't got a clue what, but all I know is, once in a blue moon a particular frequency will emit and I'll get this high-pitched sine-wave sounding ringing in my ears.

I still play my guitar fairly loud (have only been doing so for the last few years) and work in an extremely noisy environment (drill rigs).

• Members
What do you guys recommend for earplugs that don't muffle everything? I tried the standard ear plugs early on for playing guitar, but they muffled everything way too much. I have a set of shooting headphones that I use for drumming that work well for drums, but take away nearly all highs, so they aren't really usable for guitar.

Any recommendations?

Good question.

I've noticed that earplugs intended for industrial use, such as around drilling rigs, deliberately filter out the high frequencies. The machines tend to create a very harsh bright ear-splitting sound which damages the ears. The low thud sound doesn't do as much damage, so it is let through the ear plugs to allow you to hear what's going on around you.

But it takes out the sound of the heavy crunch frum teh br00tuhlz m3t4lz :rawk::cry: :cry:

There must be some kind of music-specific ear plugs.

• Members

Earplugs for Musicians

I use the older version of these back when they only came with two filter levels. I haven't played loud enough to need ear protection but I wear them if I go to clubs or anywhere with stupidly-loud music. With the noise level in those environments I can hear more clearly with them in because my ears aren't getting overloaded.

• Members

I never had a problem with my hearing until one night about five years ago when I went to a loud concert by a Pink Floyd tribute band. I didn't wear earplugs and when I left my ears were ringing - and have never stopped. It's like being in a room with a tea kettle whistling 24 hours a day. I can easily see how people are driven to the brink of suicide by this condition. I only hope that people who are reading this thread who don't have tinnitus, will learn from our mistakes and take precautions.

• Members

I went to a Collective Soul concert in a small venue back in the 90's, and got permanent Tinnitus. Sounds like a million crickets all chirping all the time. I went to Aussie Pink Floyd last week and used some cheap 32db attenuation earplugs. $2 for 4 pair. They worked great!

Archived