Who has tinnitus?

EvilSoup

• Members

and I'm starting to have trouble hearing people talk to me. Especially if I'm not looking directly at them.

^That sounds just like me, especially if i'm in a pub or something where there is lots of background noise.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have it, not to mention the severe headaches and even migraines that often follow loud band sessions. I've tried earplugs before and always hated the experience, the guitar sounded muffled and dull and I couldn't feel connected with the music.

Last night I wore these from the start ... http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx

They seem to attenuate the noise in a much more even way than other plugs I've tried, comfortable too and very reasonably priced. I think Mr Sage through this link out for me, can't recall exactly, but well worth checking out.

• Members

I'm having it in both ears, playing loud is sureley one of the reasons. but a stiff neck can be a reason too.
I'm always wearing earplugs now. anyone not doing that is - I'll put it straight forward - just stupid. you will get tinnitus, your hearing will become worse, you might get deaf. is that worth it? at first, earplugs are unusual, you don't like the sound etc. but you get used to the sound, and when you are used to earplugs and take them out during rehearsal you'll notice how loud everything actually is, esp. cymbals.
wear ear plugs!

• Members

I have it mostly in my right from a few months playing with my band. I wised up very quickly. Now, if I forget plugs (rare) i stuff tissue in there. Just not worth it. I hate sleeping alone at night, that's when I hear it the most. And my left ear kind of alternates between two notes, like the end of Karma police. And no it's not nice.

Even if they found a cure, your hearing deteriorates from a very early age, and we live in a world full of noise. Just get used to being mortal I spose.

• Members

mine fades in and out, but it's always been a problem, especially when i am trying to sleep. i sometimes pick up strange noises from TV's, my mother used to have a tv that if it was on anytime i was home i wanted to stab myself in the ear it was so annoying yet everyone else claimed they didn't hear anything, it seems to be a thing with me and older TV's.

• Members

mine fades in and out, but it's always been a problem, especially when i am trying to sleep. i sometimes pick up strange noises from TV's, my mother used to have a tv that if it was on anytime i was home i wanted to stab myself in the ear it was so annoying yet everyone else claimed they didn't hear anything, it seems to be a thing with me and older TV's.

wow man, thats crazy, you ok??

• Members

What you're hearing is the high-pitched whine of the transformer in the TV. Most young people can hear it but you lose that high-end sensitivity as you age.

I have a tinnitus but it's in my brain rather than in my ear, which makes it even stranger. It's thought to be due to "noise" in my brain from other systems spilling over into my hearing system.

And here I was thinking it was only my music gear that had to be shielded...

• Members

I might have a bit of hearing loss but no ringing, a touch of hissing but I can clear it up usually by popping my ears so I don't think it's tinnitus.

my wife wants me to think I'm going deaf but honestly it's just her because I can hear everyone else talk just fine. She {censored}ing mumbles while looking the other way or when her heads in the fridge or whatever then when I ask her to repeat herself she makes fun of me... whateva bitch!

(just kidding sweetie!)

• Members

I might have a bit of hearing loss but no ringing, a touch of hissing but I can clear it up usually by popping my ears so I don't think it's tinnitus.

my wife wants me to think I'm going deaf but honestly it's just her because I can hear everyone else talk just fine. She {censored}ing mumbles while looking the other way or when her heads in the fridge or whatever then when I ask her to repeat herself she makes fun of me... whateva bitch!

(just kidding sweetie!)

My girlfriend does the exact same thing but she gets pissed off at me for it. We should start a club.

• Members
My girlfriend does the exact same thing but she gets pissed off at me for it. We should start a club.

Put me in that club.

When they moan about work, they dont actually want you to come up with a rational solution to the problem, just listen. BUT when they're mumbling to themselves with their head in the fridge, you should be listening. :confused:

• Members

I've been playing guitar in bands for 15 years but I think it's the years of being in marching band that did the worst damage. I was a low brass player taht was always in front of the percussion. Now, I'm a band director in a small room at a high school. When we practice marching band tunes the drums are loud enough to take your head off. I try to fall asleep before my wife is finished getting ready for bed so that the tv is still on.

• Members

I just got home from band practice so I do have the ringing in my ears. but it goes away after a day or two. It seems to take longer to go away every time, and I'm starting to have trouble hearing people talk to me. Especially if I'm not looking directly at them. I'm 21 and kinda bummed about it, but earplugs just ruin the tone of everything, I can't stand 'em.

If your ears ring, it means you've damaged your ears. If you don't wear earplugs, it will only get worse. Shop around, there are some earplugs that sound better than others. Your ears will thank you down the road.

• Members

... my wife wants me to think I'm going deaf but honestly it's just her because I can hear everyone else talk just fine. She {censored}ing mumbles while looking the other way or when her heads in the fridge or whatever then when I ask her to repeat herself she makes fun of me... whateva bitch!(just kidding sweetie!)

Mine's exactly the same! Which worries me, can this many women really be wrong? Perhaps we are all suffering extreme hearing loss and simply don't realise it.

• Members

I think after you're with the same woman for a while her voice actually causes the tinitus. Maybe we're biologically predisposed periodically change from one woman to another in order to do the least amount of damage to our hearing. Another support argument for the "Men should be whores" line of thinking (of which, I support in theory but not practice).

• Members

I've got slight in both ears. Not enough to really bug me when trying to fall asleep but always there for sure. My 15 year old nephew is playing drums and guitar now. For a while it was all about how loud he could play. We had a nice chat and now he's wearing ear plugs. Saved him from going my route!

• Members

i'm in the club too :(

my hearing is pretty bad too; left ear is about 60% what it should be, right about 85%.

the strange thing is my hearing loss is around 1k. makes hearing people talking really tough. my high end is still great though, better than what it should be for my age (25).

i damaged my hearing through multiple stupid things. being in the construction industry and using drills every day for about 6 years with no hearing protection. and playing 100watt heads, again with no protection.

my ear drums are also scared from having grommets as a child. oh and i perforated my left eardrum about 2 years ago at a gig. that was unpleasant.

you only live once though :D

• Members

If your ears ring, it means you've damaged your ears. If you don't wear earplugs, it will only get worse. Shop around, there are some earplugs that sound better than others. Your ears will thank you down the road.

Well, your ears can heal that damage to some extent. If you're getting it on a regular (say, weekly) basis though you're not giving them a chance to. It's still far better to be safe than sorry, also, if you're wearing earplugs you won't have the natural compression that your ears use to cope with ultra-loud noises distorting your perception of how you sound.

Archived