Board problem. What to do with Magic Stomp?

ninjaaron

• Members

problem.png

My current board is as above. It's pretty cool. Mostly cheap effects, but they show me a good time. Anyway. I've had the MS on duty for a lot of jobs over the years. First alone, as a multi, then for some delays, and POG style effects.

Since I got the micro POG, it seems like I don't really need it anymore... for anything I was already doing...

In one way I'm happy, because the bypass wasn't great. However, I'm thinking that maybe if I put the EQ (which I always have on) after it, I might be able to counter-act some of the tone sucking.

I think the main thing I would use it for would be to have additional delay presets and reverb... and maybe a clean boost setting... though I could conceive of using some of the modulations and dyna effects. This would require different pedal positioning...

what do you guys think?

• Members

Don't leave it off. The MagicStomp has soooo much potential for making or adding great textures. I actually have two of them, but I'm scaling back to one, after figuring out how to use the deep editing software on the computer.

A possibility might be to get a simple bypass loop and stick it in there with some other effects (like the Behringer, which have tone problems of their own).

You also might think about putting it right before the volume pedal.

OT, but still wanting to know: Where does everyone get those pedal icons (like the ones in your poll)?

• Members

I thought I saw somewhere that the Micro POG was True-Bypass.

Even if it's not TB, the EHX Micro's are supposed to have amazing bypasses. I honestly don't think that the Micro POG is your tone-sucker.

I'd suspect either the MXR or the Behringer. I've had issues with Dunlop-owned MXR pedals' bypasses - to the point that I've taken them out of my chain and sold them because the tone-suck was so bad. The Behringer I'd suspect just because...well...it's a Behringer. :p

Try taking the MXR and Behringer out of the chain and see if the tone suck goes away.

• Members

I thought I saw somewhere that the Micro POG was True-Bypass.

Even if it's not TB, the EHX Micro's are supposed to have amazing bypasses. I honestly don't think that the Micro POG is your tone-sucker.

Eh... This thread is about the MagicStomp and tone suckage. The POG is bi-fet buffered bypass (some of the others are true, like the lil' big muff)...

But yes, the bypass seems to be very good on the POG... which has nothing to do with this thread.

• Members

Eh... This thread is about the MagicStomp and tone suckage. The POG is bi-fet buffered bypass (some of the others are true, like the lil' big muff)...

But yes, the bypass seems to be very good on the POG... which has nothing to do with this thread.

Ah - I misunderstood your post. I thought you were saying that the Micro POG was sucking tone.

Do you have an effects loop on your amp? That may be the best spot for the Magicstomp - especially if you're using it for modulation and delay.

• Members
In one way I'm happy, because the bypass wasn't great. However, I'm thinking that maybe if I put the EQ (which I always have on) after it, I might be able to counter-act some of the tone sucking.

The volume control on the MS is active even in bypass. You need to adjust the volume so that it sounds the same in bypass as it does with a straight guitar signal. I haven't noticed tone suckage, but I'll go back and check. There's been a few times when I thought something didn't suck tone until I did a double check.

Archived