New Pedal Day; I've learned three things today (Fender Blender Content)

Noise...

• Members

Ok, after tracking down which of my neighbors the UPS guy delivered my stuff from Musician's Friend to, and retrieving the three boxes, my new gear has arrived at it's new home. :wave:

Everything came exactly as I ordered it. A "blem" $75 Fender Blender, 4 pairs of $6 Converse (they got the sizes and colors right on all 4 pairs), and a LPB-1 which I'm not supposed to know about. ;)

Now, the first thing I learned is that I may be mildly retarded. I plugged the Fender Blender in, and went to get my guitar. Flipped on my amp, and checked the sound. Nice and clean. Hit the on switch on the Fender Blender, and the sound cuts out. I messed with the settings to no avail, so I figured the 9v jack must be broken, and that's why it's a blem. I go grab a 9v battery and put it in. Same result. No sound when it's on. By now I'm freaking out and damning MF to hell and such - just getting ready to call them to see what they'll do, and I look down at the pedal. I had the cables plugged in backwards. :rolleyes: On the Fender Blender, the line from the guitar goes in on the left, and line out to the amp is on the right. Backwards from most pedals. However, it was very plainly marked "AMP^" and "GUITAR^." I switched the cables around, and it worked perfectly. :poke:

The second thing I learned today, is that Fender Blender pedals are absolutely {censored}ing amazing, and are super versatile. It's got a huge range of gain on the pedal, then can be easily manipulated with the volume knob on the guitar. If you turn the volume down to just the right amount, you can have a clean sound with the added octave up. Very cool. It's also great for the wall-of-fuzz sounds. It's true-bypass, so no tone suckage, and it's quite a bit smaller than I anticipated. Maybe the size of my Double-Muff turned sideways. There is a slight volume drop without the boost switch on, but it's not an issue. It's an awesome fuzz pedal that's VERY different from the average ones. I recommend them to any fuzz-lovers here. Unfortunately, MF is now sold out.

As for the horrible blem that I got $25 off for, The box the Fender Blender came in had a small puncture from one of the footswitches. The pedal is in perfect condition - no scratches, dents, chips, nothing but fuzzy goodness. :thu:

The third thing I learned, is that the LPB-1 is awesome on solid state amps. I know it works like a clean boost on tube amps, but with solid state it's like a really low gain dirty boost with a slight fuzzy quality to it. Sounds AMAZING. I could only play with it for a few minutes, but I got a good idea of what the pedal sounds like on it's own. From what I could tell it's true-bypass. If not it has a killer buffer in it. Definitely a cool addition to my board - at least it will be on Christmas. :lol:

Now, I'm going to get back to playing. :wave:

• Members

This thing is MASSIVE sounding. Bigger than a Big Muff.

It also takes boosts incredibly well, as well as reacts with a delay very well. I actually used my Big Muff to boost the Fender Blender - insane sound. Think super-gigantic-Big Muff with an octave up.

Boosting with the Double-Muff gives it a slightly grittier tone. It doesn't effect it a whole lot, but just enough.

• Members

I've been thinking of that Fender Blender. Glad you like it. I've also been eyeing the Dunlop Fuzz Face Hendrix version. Got a good review in GP, but most stuff does.

I tried a BBE Free Fuzz the other day and didn't think it was very good at all.

• Members

I've been thinking of that Fender Blender. Glad you like it. I've also been eyeing the Dunlop Fuzz Face Hendrix version. Got a good review in GP, but most stuff does.

I tried a BBE Free Fuzz the other day and didn't think it was very good at all.

I'd avoid anything Dunlop. But that's just me.

I'd definitely recommend the Fender Blender if you can still snag one at the lower price.

• Members

MF Blem sales are great, I got a Nord Electro 2 73 for the price of a 62 because it's a blem. Where? I have no idea, looks mint to me.

I need to check out that pedal, I love fat fuzz tones. (But who doesn't, especially here?)

Yeah. I think they call overstocked stuff "blem" or "refurbished" sometimes. Obviously, other times there's actually some damage, so it's kind of a gamble. But, with a pedal, what could really be wrong? It's guaranteed to work, so that's a non-issue.

As for fat fuzz tones, I wouldn't really describe the Fender Blender as fat - It's definitely thick, but it doesn't have that fat wooliness that a Big Muff has. With high sustain, it's a sheer wall-of-fuzz. At min. sustain, it still sounds huge. Roll off the volume, and you have a low-gain octave up.

It NAILS the My Bloody Valentine sound though. :thu:

• Members

How does it sound for a fuzz without using octave?

The octave is always on. However, depending on the settings it becomes more or less pronounced. Without the tone boost on it's just barely there. I'll go by that fuzz sound.

It's very harsh, but not trebley. Even at min. sustain it's still heavy. It sounds huge, but in a different way from a Big Muff. In fact, it sounds nothing at all like a Big Muff. On single notes you can still hear a bit of the octave, which sounds pretty cool. It's thick, (just thick, not Big Muff wooly thick) and big sounding, and definitely gets the speakers moving.

With the tone boost on, it adds a lot more treble to the sound. It also adds a TON of volume and more fuzz, as well as making the octave effect more prominent. Min settings with the tone boost on sound almost robotic and semi-ring modulated. Max settings are just crazy. Completely out of control - just a massive wave of fuzz. In between, there are plenty of great, nearly normal fuzz tones. However, I'd like to make it clear that this pedal is really unique tone-wise. I haven't played another fuzz that can go so out of control, but quiet down so easily at the same time.

Overall, I'm really liking it. :thu:

• Members

That sounds great, I'm glad it's working out for you. Not sure if I'd ever be into a octave fuzz pedal with no ability to turn octave completely off though.

That's what I thought too - I figured I'd just be able to use it for parts that I wanted octaved as well, but it really isn't the case.

If you can find one, give it a try. If you're at all into fuzz, I'd say you'd probably like it. :thu:

Archived