Jake E. Lee - TONE?

ccdwiu

• Members

Ozzy Osbourne - "Bark at the Moon" Tour

*1980's Marshall JCM800 100watt amps - bone stock (2 in rack + 2 backups)

*1974 Fender Stratocaster Hardtail (also known as "Charvel Whitie")

*Charvel Holdsworth model (Light Daphne Blue with Black pickguard and natural maple headstock - tremolo bridge blocked with bar removed)

*Charvel Holdsworth model (Metallic Red with Mirror pickguard and natural maple headstock - tremolo bridge blocked with bar removed)

1977 100 watt Marshall head - This amplifier was used to record "Bark at the Moon".

Boss OD-1 Overdrive, Boss BF-2 Flanger, Boss GE-7 Equalizer,Boss PH-2 Super Phaser

• Members

I think gtrwiz nailed it. The only thing I could remember were Marshalls and Boss OD1, with Charvels. The MXRs were Randy, not Jake. IMO Jake is the most underrated of all the guitarists that played with Ozzy. I like his style WAY more than Zakk, and I have to admit that most of the time I like his playing better than Randy. I definitely like his tone more than Randy. Sacrilege, I know.

• Members

In the late 80's he was using a Dimarzio Very Metal pedal with Badlands on their first album. That's a good album, a bit schlocky but it's some good hard rock in the vein of Montrose's first album. The Very Metal is one of my favorite pedals.

I love Badlands! Jake's tone is great on those albums. It's very dry, not totally balls out distortion and his playing is fab. Also, when you say he was using a Very Metal pedal, do you mean that he's using it as his main distortion or just as a booster along with a dirty amp?

Also, what do you mean by schlocky?

• Members

Badlands...it has a bit of that cheesy hair metal vibe to it, or at least their videos did. But musically they were quite good, like I said they remind me of Montrose. Jake E. Lee was using the Very Metal as his main distortion at the time. Great pedal.

Ah yeah, I get ya. They kinda had a cowboy type look in their videos. Some other bands had that look in the late 80s early 90s too, although I can't think off hand.

Archived