So...phaser ideas?

BTBAM

• Members

I've been listening to Brendan& Jake's guitar in Umphrey's Mcgee...and I love the phase sounds...but I sold my PH-3 a few months back...and now I almost want one again. What phases sound similar or better? I cant tell what stage he uses. I also just sold my small stone, which I liked too...but I think I want something with a little....more.

• Members

Hm...

If you're looking for sheer versatility, a Flanger Hoax may work for you. :idk:

I can get a lot of phaser sounds from mine fairly easily.

I haven't tried it, but I've heard good things about the Phaser from the Ibanez Tone-Lok/7 series. I think it's the Phase Modulator?

• Members

ive got a ph2 and a ph3. neither one are the cats meow. look elsewhere.
:)

In the interest of not answering your question, I have written the following dissertation:

As always, Picklebottom speaks the truth. I have the PH-3 and nearly got rid of it. As you already know, this pedal is the opposite of smooth 70s subtle, groovin' phase. It is harsh and angry and full of contempt. It is modern and cold and unforgiving. If you want nice mellow phase look elsewhere. If you want a good sound phase, look elsewhere.

That said, I think it will stay permanently on my pedal board.

I have it at the very front of the chain. It works almost like a cocked-wah when it goes into distortion, which is pretty fancy. When running through other modulation and delay, it gives all the effects following it a melancholy feel. I've discovered its tap-tempo type ability for changing the rate. I usually set it for a long cycle, like 10-12 seconds. This keeps the cycle less noticeable and helps hide its phaser identity. I use the "Fall" and 10 stage settings. I also like to play with step filter when running through multiple delays and other modulation. Works great with soft picking.

So, I think the PH-3 has a lot of use, just not a traditional phaser.

Currently, I am cheating by using the MXR-90 setting on my MagicStomp for decent phasing, but I am in the market for something standalone.

I think a great phaser would be one that has a more 70s vibe, can "lock" a certain portion of the phase cycle and has a wet/dry mix. I also like to live in a fantasy world.

• Members

ibanez bpl -- 6 & 10 stage. will get you more, but without the thick shag carpet vibe of the small stone.

the maestro mp-1 phaser (big sci-fi lookin one) is the small stone that sounds awesome at every single setting for folks that arent just into weird sounds. 4 stage OTA (like the stone), but the controllable depth, er, balls, opens up a ginormous range of stuff the stone only hints at.

what is it you want more of? control? stages of phase? options?

Archived