THD Hotplate dummy load--issues with line out into effects pedals

jschweid

• Members

Hey,

I am using a marshall superlead into a THD hotplate (set to load). Then I am using the line out directly into my effects pedals-- in essence letting me get the maximum overdrive of the amp without distorting the effects. The output from the effects is then being run into a Carver Pro solid state amp--which will drive the cabinet. Obviously my goal is to crank the marshall for the best distortion without making my ears bleed...but still make use of the effects.

The problem I am having (I think) is matching the line output level with the effects pedal inputs. What is happening is that the effects on each of the pedals are simply not being heard--if I lower the line out level, they become overwhelmhing. If I turn up the line out level, the effects all become muffled, and I lose them.

The order is Overdriven amp-->Hotplate (as dummy load)--> MXR 10band EQ-->MXR Phase 90-->MXF Flanger-->Echoplex EP3-->Carver amp-->Cabinet

Is there a way to fix this problem--ie, would adding a compression prior to the Phase 90 help to level the outputs? I'm new at tinkering with this amp in this setup--but was told that it was a good way to get the maximum overdrive from the amp without having the power tubes distort the effects signal. Plus I get great cranked marshall tone. Please help!

Regards,

Jonathan

• Members

Hey,

I am using a marshall superlead into a THD hotplate (set to load). Then I am using the line out directly into my effects pedals-- in essence letting me get the maximum overdrive of the amp without distorting the effects. The output from the effects is then being run into a Carver Pro solid state amp--which will drive the cabinet. Obviously my goal is to crank the marshall for the best distortion without making my ears bleed...but still make use of the effects.

The problem I am having (I think) is matching the line output level with the effects pedal inputs. What is happening is that the effects on each of the pedals are simply not being heard--if I lower the line out level, they become overwhelmhing. If I turn up the line out level, the effects all become muffled, and I lose them.

The order is Overdriven amp-->Hotplate (as dummy load)--> MXR 10band EQ-->MXR Phase 90-->MXF Flanger-->Echoplex EP3-->Carver amp-->Cabinet

Is there a way to fix this problem--ie, would adding a compression prior to the Phase 90 help to level the outputs? I'm new at tinkering with this amp in this setup--but was told that it was a good way to get the maximum overdrive from the amp without having the power tubes distort the effects signal. Plus I get great cranked marshall tone. Please help!

Regards,

Jonathan

Eddie? :wave:

• Members

do you know if the line out on the Hotplate is line level, or instrument level?

if it's line level, you need some sort of buffer (like a VHT Valvulator) to get the signal to instrument level. the effects loop on my Flexi is like that (i haven't actually tried the line out, though).

• Members

^^ yep. Hotplate is line level so you would ideally need an instrument level D.I. to go between the amp and the hotplate ... take that line and run it to the pedals. THD univavles have the option of instrument or line level so you can run them in front of pedals very easily.

• Members

The impedance and level of the signal coming out of the Hotplate is wrong for pedals. I would only run line level rack effects after a Hotplate.

If you absolutely want to run the pedals, you will need something like this before the first pedal:

http://www.radialeng.com/di-xamp.htm

After the pedals, the level and impedance will be wrong for the input of the power amp. But a good buffer at the end of the pedal chain might fix this. I would recommend the Axess BS2.

• Members

You definitely need a level shifting circuit. Custom Audio Electronics makes them

Level Shifting Circuits.

Often it is necessary to boost or cut signal level to and from various devices. For example, you may want to use instrument level pedals in the line level effects loop of your amp (or between your Preamp and power amp). Or perhaps you want to use a piece of line level (rack) gear between your guitar and amp. They can provide the necessary circuits to make this happen.

• Members

Thanks for the help so far...so basically to do this setup I need to take the line level down to instrument level.......run it through the pedals.....then boost it back to line level......run it into any rack effects I have...then take the thing to my amp--correct?

Or would I be able to run the instrument level directly into the rack effects without boosting?

Which devices are the best for doing this?

Also I was reading about the THD Hotplate itself--per their website "THD Hot Plates

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Hi,

Please help with any info. I am running a Goodsell 17 watter with my Hotplate. I love the way it sound when pushed like this. I use 1979 tube screamer for gainier stuff and shut off for cleany/breakup things. PROBLEM IS: I need a volume boost for solos. I want to know if its possible to use my hotplate sent to my Clean boost Katana to a separate power amp back to amp for volume boost??? Help I even had voodoo mod the amp with FX LOOP..bad idea no headroom left and literally soaks up the tone when anything is plugged into loop

Thanks

Rob:cool:

• Members

You can't run the signal from the Hotplate line out back into the amp. The Hotplate sits on the speaker output of the amp, so that amp is then "used up". What you can do is run the Hotplate as a load box (with no speaker connected to it - check the manual to see how that's done safely), pass it through any fx you want, send that to a power amp which then feeds a speaker.

Maybe that was what you were suggesting in the first place, now that I re-read your post. Anyway, that's the only way to do it, but you'd run into the same issues as the OP (effects pedals need instrument level, while the power amp needs a line level input).

• Members

The reason they're "overwhelming" when you turn the level down is they're post-distortion -- stronger effect than running into a a dirty amp. I dislike many effects that have no way to tone them down. You could move some back to pre- dirt. There is no reason they would effect the sound more than "normally".

Once you're down to instrument level, almost anything with seperate output level control can get the level high enough to drive a power amp to decent levels, maybe not max. Maybe the Echoplex and definitely the EQ. Last in chain. My RP155 and all my rack effects have had no problem with a power amp either.

To calibrate a signal to instrument level, compare with the guitar output.

Impedance (vs. volume level) shouldn't be an issue since you're using no fuzzes.

• Members

your pedals should go in front of the amp obviously. you will still get a boost in volume, as long as your amps headroom isn't depleted from being cranked to it's limit. if it is cranked to it's limit then what you would need is a line level booster, after the hotplate. simple enough I guess. the Ho's Electronics attenuator has a footswitchable "solo boost" that does exactly this. I have an "operating level switching device" that has two channels of conversion, from +4 to -10 or visa versa. pedals though expect to see -35 or so, I think that's the output of passive pickups, I think active pickups can get to -10.

Archived