I've just finiahed my first pedal mod, and it still works!!

melx

• Members

I've just finished this small stone vibrato mod.

http://www.kyletompkins.com/wp/?p=355

I'm sorry I can't remember who posted this, but thanks to that person. :thu:

Rather than drill a hole for the switch, I put the switch in the jack socket hole...I use batteries so it's no problem, the jack socket is still inside taped up anyway if I wanted to put it back.....I think it's a neat place to have it anyway. :)

SL270629.jpg

SL270627.jpg

SL270628.jpg

it sounds pretty cool with the colour switch down and the rate up pretty high, you can get a really cool wobbly effect.

• Members

Lookin good, Melx! I've been talking to another forumer about doing somethuing similar with a Small Clone, but changing out the depth switch for a variable pot too.

Is it quite a subtle vibrato, or balls out weird?

yeah it's pretty subtle....with the colour switch up it still sounds more like a phaser....but different from the regular phaser sound, then with the colour switch down, it sounds like a subtle vibrato, but it gets pretty wack with the rate up high...it's not amazing but for the price of a cheapo switch and a couple of bits of wire, it's a cheap way of getting a couple of different sounds for next to nothing. :)

• Members

Where's the gutshot???

hahaha, I thought about that after I'd put it all back together, I can't really be bothered to take it apart again!! there isn't much to see to be honest. :)

it just looks like the pics on that link, but I have green and pink wires and electrical tape rather than heat shrink!

• Members

I've looked at that website before. Is Kyle Tompkins a forum user?

Yes and a regular one, I feel bad that I can't remember the guy's forum name.....as you can see he put Keith SIO's clips on there. There was a thread a while back about this mod, that was posted by Kyle as far as I can remember.

• Members

yeah it's pretty subtle....with the colour switch up it still sounds more like a phaser....but different from the regular phaser sound, then with the colour switch down, it sounds like a subtle vibrato, but it gets pretty wack with the rate up high...it's not amazing but for the price of a cheapo switch and a couple of bits of wire, it's a cheap way of getting a couple of different sounds for next to nothing.
:)

sounds interesting, i may do this mod to mine.

congrats on your 1st mod too :thu:

reading that page you linked to in the original post, it says that wet and dry levels are set with a pair of resistors, so i'm thinking that instead of (or as well as) a switch, i could install a blend pot :idea:

i've seen on the BYOC Forum where people have posted 'blend knob' mods for the chorus where the two level (wet & dry) resistors connect to a pot.

but, wouldn't it be simpler to replace one of the resistors (probably the dry level controller) with a 50k pot... this would allow you to increase or decrease the amount of direct sound going to the output, which would have the opposite effect on the wet level.

hopefully one of the experts here can clarify if this'll work.

• Members

Yes and a regular one, I feel bad that I can't remember the guy's forum name.....as you can see he put Keith SIO's clips on there. There was a thread a while back about this mod, that was posted by Kyle as far as I can remember.

Kyle is kismet78

• Members

congrats on your 1st mod too
:thu:

reading that page you linked to in the original post, it says that wet and dry levels are set with a pair of resistors, so i'm thinking that instead of (or as well as) a switch, i could install a blend pot
:idea:

i've seen on the BYOC Forum where people have posted 'blend knob' mods for the chorus where the two level (wet & dry) resistors connect to a pot.

but, wouldn't it be simpler to replace one of the resistors (probably the dry level controller) with a 50k pot... this would allow you to increase or decrease the amount of direct sound going to the output, which would have the opposite effect on the wet level.

Kev... have been meaning to reply to youe messages the other day and keep not getting around to it. I'm not ignoring you, honest!

• Members

Very cool, Melx!

You've got to post a clip for us. I want to hear the results.

that's what i'm working on for christmas...I've seen these little things that you can plug a mic into then plug that into a usb, and record onto your computer with the supplied sofware. I might try to do a video demo with my camera also, I don't know what the sound will come out like, but it would be fun to have a go anyway. :)

• Members

congrats on your 1st mod too

reading that page you linked to in the original post, it says that wet and dry levels are set with a pair of resistors, so i'm thinking that instead of (or as well as) a switch, i could install a blend pot
:idea:

that sounds really cool idea. I've just been playing around with it and with the mod switch on you can almost get a tremolo sound too, it kinda has that thumpy pulse sound. It's really cool actually, I think I'll be using the switch a lot now, the colour switch dramatically changes the sound of the mod too, it's like a different effect altogether.

I'd definatly recommend doing the mod, it's a win win situation and very easy to do, the only bit I found a little tricky was soldering the wire to the end of the resistor....but that's more to do with my basic soldering skills than anything else.

• Members

that sounds really cool idea. I've just been playing around with it and with the mod switch on you can almost get a tremolo sound too, it kinda has that thumpy pulse sound. It's really cool actually, I think I'll be using the switch a lot now, the colour switch dramatically changes the sound of the mod too, it's like a different effect altogether.

I'd definatly recommend doing the mod, it's a win win situation and very easy to do, the only bit I found a little tricky was soldering the wire to the end of the resistor....but that's more to do with my basic soldering skills than anything else.

you've definately sold the mod to me, i'll be doing it to mine at some point: i'll probably try it out using the switch and 'blend' knob... i'm pretty sure my idea will work :thu:

have you been caught by the pedal-modding-bug?

do you have a Small Clone as well by any chance?

the same simple mod - removing one resistor (or putting it on a switch) - turns that in to a vibrato too!

• Members

you've definately sold the mod to me, i'll be doing it to mine at some point: i'll probably try it out using the switch and 'blend' knob... i'm pretty sure my idea will work

have you been caught by the pedal-modding-bug?

do you have a Small Clone as well by any chance?

the same simple mod - removing one resistor (or putting it on a switch) - turns that in to a vibrato too!

yeah, I have a small clone too!! (and a spare switch!!)

lol, I might do that too then! :)

yeah, I have the bug....i'm gonna try and do something to my big muff next I think!

• Members

yeah, I have a small clone too!! (and a spare switch!!)

lol, I might do that too then!
:)

yeah, I have the bug....i'm gonna try and do something to my big muff next I think!

just so you know, the Small Clone vibrato mod is to lift the 22k resistor (it's R18 on mine, which is a newish reissue).

Big Muff mods? there's a world of possibilities right there!

• Members

good job!

i've made two attempts at modding my first act delay (csjones posted some mods on TGP before he flamed out over there), but both times i screwed it up and put it away to attempt another day. hopefully, the third time will be a charm...:idk:

Archived