Pitch Shifters/Harmonisers

petejt

• Members

Who here has experience with pitch shifters? I am looking into getting one, either pedal or rackmount (as long as it works fine in the effects loop, but hopefully a pedal), that has delay combined in it.

I mainly want to use it for rich lush slow chorusing. Here is the best example :love: . The effect was created by a Publison DHM Harmoniser & a 50watt Marshall combo amp (YES, Marshall!)

Don't mind the glad rags & crazy hair.. :poke:

[YOUTUBE]7ZYxsUDZQ4Q[/YOUTUBE]

Now, I adore my H2O, and highly reccommend it to everyone. I also have a Roland Jazz Chorus 120, but still I am in search for a pitch-shifter/harmonisor that can get that really lush slight-phased warbly effect.

Publisons are pretty rare these days, and I've read are a bit unreliable and hard to service. Are there any equivalent units (especially pedals) that can create similar effects to the example I presented? Please?

• Members

I love it, an HCFX forumite who isn't afraid to admit a love for 80's chorus effect :thu:

I have two pitch shifters, the HOG and the PS-3. Both can accomplish a non-cyclical chorus, and they sound great. But listening to Time After Time, it sounds more like a thick cyclical chorus/flange to me. I can get that tone with my EHX Deluxe Electric Mistress or my Stereo PolyChorus.

• Members

boss ps-3= shift+delay, no? i would maybe try that out.. i have the ps-5 shifter but it has no delay and i honestly have a hard time finding a good use for it in my band.. others love them though, more love for the earlier ones with delay i believe

Thanks for the advice!

There are plenty of Boss dealers around, so hopefully they have the PS3, so I can try them out.

• Members

I have two pitch shifters, the HOG and the PS-3. Both can accomplish a non-cyclical chorus, and they sound great. But listening to
Time After Time
, it sounds more like a thick cyclical chorus/flange to me. I can get that tone with my EHX Deluxe Electric Mistress or my Stereo PolyChorus.

Yup, that's it, the cyclical nature of the chorus. I think that is what gets me the most. How it swirls. It is a lot more than just a detuning effect.

It is a detuning effect that dips in and out round and round, like a Doppler effect.

• Members

Eventide will do that

TC 1210, or Song Bird Tri-Stereo Chorus and a Lexicon Reverb (PCM70-91) and a DBX 160X or similar compressor will do that

A Rocktron Intellifex Hall Reverb and a Boss CE-2, and an MXR Dyna Comp will get you close too

• Members

It's kinda contradictory though, 'cause although I adore
:love:
that chorus effect, most things from the 1980s (including Cyndi Lauper's fashion sense) makes me puke!!

Yup, that's it, the
cyclical
nature of the chorus. I think that is what gets me the most. How it swirls. It is a lot more than just a detuning effect.

It is a detuning effect that dips in and out round and round, like a Doppler effect.

I'd really like the song better if the bangles ro go-go-s had done it. Bangles- well cuz they're STILL hot and Go-go-s as my guilty please.

• Members

PS-5 can do a little delay on the the slight detune mode. Sounds like exactly what your after.

I reckon that's the ticket for me! :)

I only need that little "cyclic" delay, not longer delays as I can already get that from my other effect pedals.

It'd be nice to have a dedicated rackmount pitchshifter/harmoniser like the Eventide but I just want something smaller. Kosmic Sound stocks Lexicon stuff though....

Thanks everyone for your input! :thu:

• Members

Eventide will do that

TC 1210, or Song Bird Tri-Stereo Chorus and a Lexicon Reverb (PCM70-91) and a DBX 160X or similar compressor will do that

A Rocktron Intellifex Hall Reverb and a Boss CE-2, and an MXR Dyna Comp will get you close too

Would the TC Electronics Gmajor do that as well?

How does the Lexicon PCM70-91 Reverb do the pitch-shifting? Are they readily available?

• Members

How does the Lexicon PCM70-91 Reverb do the pitch-shifting? Are they readily available?

You can find them on e-bay. There are available FX algorhythm cards that you can load on them and they are stellar. You can mess w/ multi tap delays and play w/ the HFO and LFO's and that is how I got the shimmer thing on my clips. They do VERY nice reverbs, delay and chorus but are not so much the everything at once solution, unfortunately.

The TC 1210 chorus will get you that chorus sound, but they tend to go for around $700+ on ebay, when you can find them.

For a less expensive solution the Arion SCH-1 chorus, a compressor (I like the MXR Dyna Comp), and the TC G-Major will get you close.

The toughest part in getting that LA studio sound in a guitar rig, is that you need to run your effects in parallel, and the equipment besides the actual processors adds to the overall cost.

Here is a video of Michael Landau, #1 Studio session guy for the last several years. Listen to his chorus tone. NICE...

[YOUTUBE]DdGmIzbh4rw[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

It does do delay, chorus, reverb, compression, and sounds nice, is a big bang for the buck, but doesn't quite (IMO) get it done for that.

You can find them on e-bay. There are available FX algorhythm cards that you can load on them and they are stellar. You can mess w/ multi tap delays and play w/ the HFO and LFO's and that is how I got the shimmer thing on my clips. They do VERY nice reverbs, delay and chorus but are not so much the everything at once solution, unfortunately.

The TC 1210 chorus will get you that chorus sound, but they tend to go for around $700+ on ebay, when you can find them.

For a less expensive solution the Arion SCH-1 chorus, a compressor (I like the MXR Dyna Comp), and the TC G-Major will get you close

Thanks for your advice Zach :thu: . If I see the Lexicon around then I might get it. It seems pretty cool.

$700 for a TC Electronics 1210? US Dollars or not, that's dirt cheap! The TC Electronics G-Major is being sold for $795 AUD around here and I thought that was cheap!

I see you mentioned using the Arion Chorus with the G-Major. Since I already have a nice chorus pedal, and a delay, and modding my Marshall cab later on too, I guess the G-Major wouldn't be a bad option then, used in a combination like you said. It would be fine if I can't find a TC Electronics 1210 in good quality on eBay.

Thanks again for your advice. :cool:

• Members

Thanks for your advice Zach
:thu:
. If I see the Lexicon around then I might get it. It seems pretty cool.

$700 for a TC Electronics 1210? US Dollars or not, that's dirt cheap! The TC Electronics G-Major is being sold for $795 AUD around here and I thought that was cheap!

I see you mentioned using the Arion Chorus with the G-Major. Since I already have a nice chorus pedal, and a delay, and modding my Marshall cab later on too, I guess the G-Major wouldn't be a bad option then, used in a combination like you said. It would be fine if I can't find a TC Electronics 1210 in good quality on eBay.

Thanks again for your advice.
:cool:

Yes US dollars. You're welcome. Yup I highly recommend experimenting and combining effects to get your results. It will give you a much deeper understanding of how your gear works and an appreciation for how other gear sounds too, and enhance your ear from a producers standpoint.

Best of luck :thu:

IF you'd like to check out the specs and manuals for the Lexicon and the TC 1210, feel free to visit my website at: www.zachpetersen.com the FAQ page has a lot of info and the gear page has the Lexicon and TC 1210 pics etc...

I also have a link to a TC Electronic G-Major Graphical program editor that you can check out there too.

Archived