Greatest Songs of the nEw_WaVe Era?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
  • Members
I didn't even know that 3/4 of those songs come under the umbrella of "New Wave"...
:confused:

Everything was "New Wave" then, most terms like "Post-Punk" and "Goth" were not in wide use for most people.

Yeah, Hall & Oates and Bauhaus - same genre. Good days, the 80s :thu:

• Members
Everything was "New Wave" then, most terms like "Post-Punk" and "Goth" were not in wide use for most people.

Yeah, Hall & Oates and Bauhaus - same genre. Good days, the 80s
:thu:

:lol:

Yeah, Hall & Oates don't really belong in this list, but I love the song, so {censored} it ;)

I'm not certain, but I think New Wave was originally applied to the bands coming out of the CBGB scene, like Talking Heads and Blondie. So the term "New Wave" probably isn't appropriate, but saying late 70s/early 80s sounds boring.

• Members
:lol:

Yeah, Hall & Oates don't really belong in this list, but I love the song, so {censored} it
;)

I'm not certain, but I think New Wave was originally applied to the bands coming out of the CBGB scene, like Talking Heads and Blondie. So the term "New Wave" probably isn't appropriate, but saying late 70s/early 80s sounds boring.

No sacrasm was implied by my post. Not every area of the country was the same. At school (I was born in 1974, and got into music around 1980) it was either Punk or New Wave or just Rock or Pop. Any band not punk enough to be called punk but was too weird for Rock or Pop was New Wave. Although there wasn't a mania for labeling bands as a certain genre back then either, that started in the early 1990s. I actually belonged to one of those Columbia House tape of the month things, the monthly little catalog they sent was called "New Wave" - I think... or it could have been "Modern Rock".

I liked a couple Hall & Oates songs, they were just weird enough to be acceptable back then.

The first time I heard the term "goth" was probably 1986.

• Members

New Order-Blue Monday
[YOUTUBE]ftJZomwDhxQ[/YOUTUBE]

B-52's-Rock Lobster
[YOUTUBE]UXLQSDNDyyM[/YOUTUBE]

Depeche Mode-Just Can't Get Enough
[YOUTUBE]hLA3WA9QOh0[/YOUTUBE]

Pet Shop Boys-West End Girls
[YOUTUBE]uAHfoIfo_7A[/YOUTUBE]

Flying Lizards-Money
[YOUTUBE]3_iQZiVD_zA[/YOUTUBE]

Brian Eno-Baby's On Fire