Greatest Songs of the nEw_WaVe Era?

• Members
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Ahh, the huge reverbs, choruses and synths of the early 80's!

You must have been of about 3 to 5 years old during that time, Tenoken. The sound of huge reverbs, choruses and synths brings back a time when I bought my first electric guitar and amp. Besides, every era has its excesses in production techniques. Contemporary music is no exception. I just happen to love select songs from all eras, but the quantity of select songs seems to have dwindled in the last decade :cry:

• Members
Besides, every era has its excesses in production techniques. Contemporary music is no exception. I just happen to love select songs from all eras, but the quantity of select songs seems to have dwindled in the last decade
:cry:

Spot on both points.

The post-grunge stuff with the gratuitous compression, 'redlining' every passage via mastering whether it's intended to be loud or soft, and the overuse of Sonic Maximizer-type effects seems to have produced chronic ear fatigue in a huge swath of listeners. There are simply no places to 'breathe' in many modern songs/productions.

There are loads of threads that more or less say "I'm sick of the Rectifier sound" but I think the fault more often lies with the production than the amp's tone itself.

Back to the subject at hand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmevO2V2JxA

• Members

88 Lines About 44 Women - The Nails

We never made a video though.

The casting would have been, erm, interesting! Would have probably cost a pretty penny too. That song really didn't need a video - one's imagination ran wild with that one!

Pleasure to see you on here. Have always been a fan. Attended Miami U in Oxford OH home of the late lamented 97X Radio which was THE best college station in the country for many years - they certainly gave the Nails plenty of airtime.

• Members
Spot on both points.

The post-grunge stuff with the gratuitous compression, 'redlining' every passage via mastering whether it's intended to be loud or soft, and the overuse of Sonic Maximizer-type effects seems to have produced chronic ear fatigue in a huge swath of listeners. There are simply no places to 'breathe' in many modern songs/productions.

There are loads of threads that more or less say "I'm sick of the Rectifier sound" but I think the fault more often lies with the production than the amp's tone itself.

Back to the subject at hand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmevO2V2JxA

That's the first time I've heard that song. That definitely is a song I would have listened to between 1979 - 1984. It reminds me a bit of a band called Wire Train :thu: Thanks for sharing.

• Members
That's the first time I've heard that song. That definitely is a song I would have listened to between 1979 - 1984. It reminds me a bit of a band called Wire Train
:thu:
Thanks for sharing.

Wow - surprising as MTV just about wore that video out for a time. The drummer came over from Ulster punk legends Stiff Little Fingers.

I was/am quite a big Wire Train fan. Can recall articles when they were 'the next REM' which of course might have been the kiss of death. Even bought some of their latter-day albums (the one with 'Stone Me' on it).

• Members

I'm glad you posted some DM. I left them off my list because I didn't become a fan until Music For The Masses, which isn't really in the New Wave era anymore. But I like their older stuff more now that I have some distance from it.

i'm definitly more of a fan of the newer stuff, especially the new album, which is goddamn fantastic, but this song's vocal melodies just blow me away...

"I can't understand, what makes a man.... etc"

and...

more cowbell! ...

• Members
i'm definitly more of a fan of the newer stuff, especially the new album, which is goddamn fantastic, but this song's vocal melodies just blow me away...

"I can't understand, what makes a man.... etc"

and...

more cowbell! ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--pSWLEVGhY&feature=related

Another great one, and one that I didn't catch onto until years later. The video cracks me up. Stephen Morris' expression at the beginning is priceless, like he's getting really bored with the drum machine intro. Then Gillian Gilbert moves to turn the knob of the sequencer, and stares at it as if she's about to do something more with it :lol:

Archived