X-station 49 or Korg R3

MaNdU

• Members

Help me out , i don't know what to get. The R3 is already at Sweetwater and don't know wich one to get an X-station 49 or a R3. Can you get me some ref. on those boards. I really whant to learn some on programing my sounds.

• Members

It really comes down to how bad you really want all those X-Station knobs and X-Y pads vs. the different (brighter, more digital and modern) sound and drums of the R3 ... but the Novation has a unique sound and the novelty and usefullness of the X-Y pad cannot by understated, IMO ...

The X-Station comes with an audio interface ... are you planning on using it? If not, the X-Station becomes more expensive for what it is ...

It also has decent effects you can route through it ...

The R3 has those cool knobs and vocoder ... but I haven't noodled with one yet.

To deal with the X-Station's monotimbrality, I have mine MIDIed to an A-Station, which makes it sound much fatter and a little more flexible.

• Members

well i really need a decent audio interface right now too, is it decent enugh to record vocals? I already have a Korg TR and an ECHO Layla 24 that have no use for course i sell my PC to get a laptop with no PCI conections.

Can y play the X-station and at the same time use it as a mixer to play my TR in to the XLR inputs with some effects maybe?

Also the X station has more keys and cost $100.00 less. If there will be a very big difrence in the sound quality between the novation and the r3 i will go for the one with better sound.(i don't need the vocoder either). but havent heard one piece of music using the x-station only, or at least some vast examples of it sounds.

• Members

Frankly, I don't use the audio interface on my X-Station ... you will be able to route the TR and apply effects into the X-Sation ... but that impacts the use of one of the synth's audio channels, I believe ... No matter how you slice the X-Station's numerous abilities, there always seems to be a compromise when trying to perform mutiple functions at once ...

Because I didn't do as much research about it's other features, ultimately it disappointed in those areas ...

however ...

I just use mine as a straight-up VA synth ... And for that I like it ... I think Novations have a unique sound ...

However, unless you're going to go with a leap a faith, you should really check them out yourself (if possible) ...

Like I said, if the knobs aren't important to you and having a hands-on programming interface, you should probably just go for the R3 since its newer, will have fresher sounds, drums (X-Station doesn't), better arp (presumably) ...

However, you may be overdosing on the Korg sound ...

What about a Micron?

• Members

Diametro you also have a Micron, do you think the micron give you more inspiration or sounds creation options, or do you prefer the X-station for Synth stuff.

It's hard to say because I bought the Micron to beef up the X-Station's monotimbral sound but found I didn't like their sound in unison ... so that's why I got the A-Station.

Perosnally, I find the Micron much more useful as a music creation device (better arp, mini sequencer es muy coolio, seriously multimbral and MIDI routable despite its eight voice polyphony ) ... especially paired with my Kaoss Pad 3, which replicates the fun and usefulness of of the X-Station X-Y pad ...

However, the Micron is a bit of a bitch to program (even when using the shortcuts) ... still, it's not impossible if you know what you're doing ...

I think at this price level for VAs, one synth may not satisfy.

Go for something pricey like a virus TI, which arguably doesn't sound THAT much better, but does offer way more features ... massive polyphony, effects and full control surface, it may be the only VA you need...

but you'll still only be working with one sound flavor ... IMO, soundwise, one synth can never do it all ...

But it comes down to a matter of variety, taste and economics.

Happy spending!

• Members

Hello. Do the A-Station and X-Station sound the same? Which one sounds better to you? Do you think the X-Station has good pads compared to the Micron? How would you compare the X-station, A-Station, and Micron?

Is it true the A-Station does not have a power button? Also, how is it to program and does it sound good?

Thanks.

Do I know you? :wave:

Honestly, I don't really like pads ... so I'm not really one to judge ... I'll say Micron is more authentic but Novation sounds a little better.

But then the Micron will surprise you with some stuff ... run it through some cool FX and the Micron is making some weird sounds ...

The X-Station and A-Station sound ALMOST the same ... the A-Station for some reason sounds just a hair more "analog" while the X-Station has a little more slice and fizz to it ...

They all sound good ... and I like them all about the same ... They all add up to a pretty good VA ...

Yes, the A-Station has a power button ... it's called the freakin' power cord .!.!.!.

Thanks! :thu::wave:

Viva ...

viverockmq5.jpgviverockmq5.jpgviverockmq5.jpg

la Rock!

• Members

I had an X-Station 25 for a few days. I liked it initially, but ultimately decided:

A) I needed more keys;

B) The UI wasn't very inviting, I didn't enjoy trying to program it;

C) The sound just wasn't that exciting to me.

And thus I returned it. I cannot comment on the R3, I haven't seen one yet.

• Members

ill think of it tonight but any other synth to think of is acepted, the bad thing is that here in Puerto Rico there are no stores carring VA's, they only bring romplers and digital pianos belive it or not.

• Members

I thought you were speaking about the X-Station, but now I'm not so sure.

I do not think the X-Station has audio inputs.

You also say " To deal with the X-Station's monotimbrality".

I think the X-Station has 8 note poly.

I just wanted to clear this up in my mind. Because you said you thought the pads on the "X-Station" were not that good.

Thanks.

I am speaking about the X-Station.

It has audio inputs. The X-Station is monotimbral with eight voices ... (are you feeling hazy today?)

I wrote that I don't employ the use of pads, so I don't have that much of an opinion ... but I said the X-Station sounds slightly better to my ears ...

OK? :thu:

• Members

Jeez - you guys can be some real jags.

Timbral refers to how many different sounds (timbres) can play at once.

Polyphony refers to how many notes can play at once.

I've been thinking about that a lot lately. ;)

Thanks. :wave:

• Members

Hey ... don't sweat it, J.R. ... People are people ... so it's no surprise ... when other people take a {censored} in someone's eye ... People are people ... so why should it be? ... the X-Station sports mono-tim-bral-i-tee ...

• Members

I am very happy with my X-station 49. It's very[/] easy to program... all the important things have dedicated controls, and more advanced stuff is hardly ever more than 1 menu away.

The audio interface is fine, but I've run into problems when I switch between synth, audio interface and midi control uses on the fly. I'm sure it can be worked out, but weird things can happen. Still, I use it in all three roles, and it works great as long as I think about what I'm doing and use one mode at a time.

Sound-wise, I wouldn't say pads are it's strongest point, though you can stir up some good un's. It's best at stabs, leads, basses, etc imo. I prefer my rompler options for pads.

• Members

Yeah, I took something to help me cope with all the people welcoming me the forum or some {censored} like that. I guess I'm alittle off.

I just wanted to make sure.

"The X-Station is monotimbral with eight voices"

This quote threw me off i guess. Yeah, I went back and saw that it had 2 audio inputes.

Thanks.

Hi Chas!!! Welcome to the Forum!!! :wave:

I hope you are feeling better after whatever it was that you took. Was it trance drugs? Did they make you a happy snail?

magic_roundabout_brian.jpg

Thanks.

• Members

surely the "deciding factor" should lie with the OP

In fact, anyone buying an x-station as a dedicated synth is missing the point--the synth is a bonus on a great controller and audio interface.

The audio inputs, by the way, are just fine but you lose one channel if you're using it in synth mode because the synth uses that channel.

• Members

There are quite a few complaints on the Korg forums about serious quality control issues regarding the R3. Also the overall build quality and keybed seem really cheap, definitely inferior to the X49.

• Members

with the x-station i just want to hook up my TR in stereo and use the X-station synth as a signal router(to my monitors ) and use the x-station synth engine at the same time. IS that posible?

Also Sweetwater told me that they are going to charge me for the x-station shiping like $50.00 while the R3 will ship free:confused: don'tnow why really.

• Members

with the x-station i just want to hook up my TR in stereo and use the X-station synth as a signal router(to my monitors ) and use the x-station synth engine at the same time. IS that posible?

Also Sweetwater told me that they are going to charge me for the x-station shiping like $50.00 while the R3 will ship free:confused: don'tnow why really.

You can only use channel one for input if you're using the internal synth; it uses channel 2. You can, though, run that one channel through the x-station's effects and the output from that will be stereo.

Archived