Is anyone here familiar with the song "Pablo and Andrea" by Yo La Tengo?

• Members

Most likely it is:

Fender Jazzmaster

Fender Vibrolux and / or Fender Super Reverb

Rat distortion

Digitech Echo-Plus

That's what Ira uses on most of their tunes. Trade out a strat or tele for that Jazzmaster on some songs... but yeah, his core tone mostly consists of the above mentioned amps, a rat (I think he's actually using 2 or 3 Rats on his live board right now), and a Fender guitar of some sort.

• Members

Most likely it is:

Fender Jazzmaster

Fender Vibrolux and / or Fender Super Reverb

Rat distortion

Digitech Echo-Plus

That's what Ira uses on most of their tunes. Trade out a strat or tele for that Jazzmaster on some songs... but yeah, his core tone mostly consists of the above mentioned amps, a rat (I think he's actually using 2 or 3 Rats on his live board right now), and a Fender guitar of some sort.

I was thinking RAT, but it just sounded so much more open than the tone I normally associate with a stock RAT. Do you think he gets them modded? :confused:

I'm guessing that track was recorded well before the boutique pedal/pedal modding craze began. :o

• Members

I want to say that they're stock, but I'm not totally sure. IIRC, there are no Keeley or Analogman or any other labels of the like stuck on them. And not to mention that Ira just isn't that much of a gearhead at all... so I doubt that he'd put the time or thought into getting anything modded. Unless his tech had it done for him.

I'll be seeing him/them next month; so if I can remember, I'll try to ask about his Rats.

• Members

I want to say that they're stock, but I'm not totally sure. IIRC, there are no Keeley or Analogman or any other labels of the like stuck on them. And not to mention that Ira just isn't that much of a gearhead at all... so I doubt that he'd put the time or thought into getting anything modded. Unless his tech had it done for him.

I'll be seeing him/them next month; so if I can remember, I'll try to ask about his Rats.

That would be awesome. Thanks so much! :thu:

• Members

Electr-O-pura was recorded in '96. Ira's live rig from '96 is here: http://guitargeek.com/rigview/73/

I don't know if that comports to the studio set up. I've talked to him a lot about his gear - and his new tech - and I would imagine that he simply found a sweet spot with his "standard" assortment. Don't get me wrong, Yo La Tengo's my favorite band and Ira's tone is awesome but he doesn't put the time into it - that is gear wise - that we do.

His new tech on the latest tour has updated Ira's stuff with home-made switching boxes and some mods. Generally, he hasn't had stuff like that before.

• Members

Saw them right when that record came out in a small club. Ira was playing a vintage burst strat into a Rat into about 5 vintage Fender combos of varying models. I'm pretty sure this was his setup for a lot of that record, mostly because it was almost completely recreated exactly tone-wise at that show. Not sure about the leads, but the rythms were precise (think Tom Courtenay).

Archived