stereo amps or extension cabinet for more volume?

Mikoo69

• Members

what would give me more stage volume/fullness?

a) running a deluxe reverb 1x12 (22 watts), with a blues junior 1x12 (15 watts) in stereo (through they are different wattage their perceived volumes are basically identical)

b) getting a 2x12 extension cabinet for the deluxe reverb

• Members

If you go stereo you'll get more volume than an ext. cab. But be warned, I started using a stereo rig a few years ago and I find it really hard to got back to using a single amp, even at a loose jam session. Particularly with time based effects, it gives them so much more dimension.

• Members

That's a tricky one. With a stereo setup you'll struggle to go back to mono like the other guy said, so it will be a lot more hassle setup wise. How's about getting an extention cab and putting it over the other side of the stage? It would do more than you'd expect in terms of spread. Get a special speaker cable though of course.

• Members

^special how?

Speaker cables are a lot thicker than regular instrument cable because they handle very different impedance values. Sorry to be so vague, I've only ever bought speaker cable whole. I do know that running an instrument cable across a stage to power a speaker would be asking for trouble.

Archived