Should I sell my Kelley compressor (2 knob) to buy a Barber Tone Press?

guitarcapo

• Members

I never warmed up to the Keeley. It either sounds like it's not on or all squishy if I turn it up. Am I missing something? I mostly play clean. (who needs compression when playing through a cranked tube amp?)

I hate how it kills attack definition. I know the 4 knob addresses this but like I said...mine's the older 2 knob version.

• Members

I've had the keeley comp for the longest now - 5-6 years I think - and I'll never sell it. I tried the 4 knob but quite honestly - I preferred the 2 knob between the two. Since I bought the Keeley, I have since accumulated several different comps - both boutique and off the shelf - and I find that each of them is unique enough that when coupled with the appropriate chain of pedals - you can make them shine in the way that shows their best side.

Should you sell it for a Barber Tone Press? That's up to you, do you need the money to afford the Tone Press? If so, then yes - sell it. I also own the Tone Press and I don't intend on selling it either. But if you can afford another one and hang on to the Keeley - it's always good for AB'ing with others too. They and their counterparts have been tweaked to the nth degree by now and there's so many great ones available, that you will undoubtedly find several that turn you on. These are great days we're livin in Bros!

Comp On! :wave:

Archived