Wah experts: I built the BYOC and I'm having problems...

dap99

• Members

I think I've exhausted my resources on the BYOC forum. Great peeps, and they know their {censored}, but I'm still having the same problem so I figure I'll put it out to some fresh eyes.

Basically, I bought the PCB and sourced my own parts. I already had a Halo Replica inductor that was in my modded Crybaby and worked fine. Same w/ my Hot Potz II.

The short of it is the wah distorts when I use my bridge pups. I'm not using anything too hot. One guitar has a Seymour Duncan JB/59 combo so the JB's in the bridge. The other guitar has a set of GFS Mean 90s in it. I've gone over all the parts and they're right and the soldering seems good enough. I didn't wire up a battery jack, but I wired up a 9v plug so I could hook up my One Spot w/ an adapter. I'll post a link to my recent thread at the BYOC forum which has a link to my original thread. There's pics there of my board.

There's also a recording there.

I appreciate any help that people can offer. I've had my wah off my pedalboard for over 2 months and I'm getting sick of not being able to figure it out. I'm getting ready to put my modded Crybaby board back on. I can't help but think "if it ain't broke..." But I like the BYOC stuff and wanted a little more versatility. (FYI, Keith is the owner of BYOC, that's why the title of the thread has his name in it)

As always, thanks in advance!

Link

• Members

That is quite possibly the most bizarre wah problem I've ever heard of. It only does that on bridge pups you say? Did you try it on a strat bridge/middle or just a middle? Have you tried perhaps adjusting the pup height?

You might want to try your luck with asking the peeps at diystompboxes.com they have some very good wah experts there.

• Members

Yup, makes no sense to me, but I'm pretty new to the DIY and electronic stuff. Good idea on the DIY forums. I'll try there as well. I guess I could try lowering the pups. I have my JB wired so it can be split. When it's split, the distorted sound happens less, but it's still there. Drives me nuts!!!

• Members

Man, I've messed w/ all the trimmers ad nauseum!!!!! I'm tempted to just by the drop in kit to see if the problem is just me. AFAIK, I have all the right parts. For a while I had the wrong transistors b/c the .pdf istructions tell you to get the BC108s and you're supposed to have the BC109s. Imagine my disappointment when there was no diff w/ the 109s.:mad::mad:

• Members

Just go get a Steve Vai Bad Horsie II contour wah. It is always on, and it out-performs all others I've tried.

Your post, in regards to the subject at hand, is about as intelligent as this looks.

chrisfarleyphotographc1tt3.jpg

I'm really surprised that adjusting the trimmers doesn't do anything to help this. Mine doesn't distort like that, on any pup combo, on a SC guitar or HB guitar.

Hopefully someone at DIYSTBs will be able to help.

Archived