Demonizer - pros and cons?

Kassanova

• Members

I'm thinking of picking one of these babies up and I just wanted to get some feedback from users to help me get an idea of what to expect. I sorta want a "rectifier in a portable box" and I've watched the youtube demo for this and have decided that its definitely worth a consideration. Anybody on here know the ups and downs of having one? Is it worth the money?

• Members
FWIW: I've heard nothing but bad things about them and every clip I've ever heard has been pitifully bad.
:idk:

Please elaborate on what sort of bad things you have heard. Do they break easily?
I listened to the clips and I really like the tone of the Solid Metal pedal but I heard you could get those same types of tones by switching the tubes in the Demonizer to Tung Sol tubes. The clips aren't that bad but not great either. The video sounded better to me.

• Members
FWIW: I've heard nothing but bad things about them and every clip I've ever heard has been pitifully bad.
:idk:

Don't listen to this guy. I have it and I sold nearly all my other distortion-related gear as a result. It's an amazing product, light years ahead of any digital modeller.

What I did though is change the stock EHX tubes (which gave you a Black Sabbath/80s metal sound) to Tung-Sol tubes ($15) and as a result the unit elevated itself into more modern, aggressive metal distortion. Still can do nice clean though if you roll off the gain.

Buy it and you won't look back.

P.S. My setup is the simplest in the world : guitar -> Demonizer -> soundcard -> headphones

Not even a single extra pedal in the chain. Still the best tone I ever got from any other gear.

• Members

I was thinking of using it in conjunction with a Boss GT-8 to replace the pres/distortions already there.
Every product has a con. What's this one's? Its definitely not the sound as it sounds good to me. I doubt that whatever it is will stir me from its pros (the sounds), I just like to be aware of what I'm getting into as to better prepare for it. What kind of power supply does it use? Is it specialty or easily replaceable? Batteries? Yes? No? Do the tubes make it get hot after a period of time? I'm just trying to get an idea as to what to know beforehand.

• Members

I use mine with the GT-8. It jives well with it. It won't take batteries. Comes with a class 2 AC power adaptor. Been using it for months and so far no tube problems.

So far the cons is the output jacks. Guess they're plastic housing jacks that can break easily. I heard it's easy to replace with metal housings. I've bought four pedals from damage control and had to exchange 2 of them for that reason. First thing you should check.

Other than that I'm happy. No problems.

• Members

Don't listen to this guy. I have it and I sold nearly all my other distortion-related gear as a result.

Like, I said: FWIW. I wasn't trying to say that it isn't good. I noted that I've never played one so it's third party hearsay and we all know how great that is... That's why I gave the shrug: :idk:

What I was noting is that I seriously researched them at one point and was considering buying one but was really put off by what I found: I saw a lot of bad reviews on the net that were posted during what should be the honeymoon period for the device and every time I tracked down a clip it sounded like {censored}. Usually, when something new comes out people just fall all over themselves overhyping it and nothing was happening for me clip-wise. Given this brief research, plus the fact that it costs like $300+, I abandoned the idea of tracking one down to demo... I knew I could get a TRULY excellent preamp with a proven track record for the money those things cost: Rockmaster, MP-1, Piranha, etc. So, it seemed unlikely to be in that class based on the data at hand, so I didn't bother rolling the dice on it. (For the curious: I ended up getting a Piranha instead).

I dunno, maybe people have learned how to tweak them and they're getting more love these days. Maybe I just had a bad google day. That's partially why I bumped the thread with my negative input to see if anyone here would post anything contrary, there did seem to be one or two folks crazy about it at the time too, so I'd love to hear more if you guys think this thing is a diamond in the rough. Plus, It still seems like a cool product conceptually so I'm personally still curious about it since I do not know for a fact it sucks, etc.

I have no opportunity to demo one, but if you have clips that sound really excellent, by all means, fire. :evil: It'd be cool if the thing really is decent. No interest in starting a flame war: The world needs more high gain preamps, IMHO. :)

• Members

eh... I kinda suck. Well fwiw

MIM Fender pwrhse strat (hot rails, vintage, lipstick tube pups) --> demonizer --> Glass Nexus --> multitrack

http://www.mediamax.com/peridot2/Hosted/demonizer.mp3

Here's a song I made a few months ago. Demonizer --> GT-8 --> multitrack

Mostly keyboards. Fast forward to halfway for the demonizer.

http://www.mediamax.com/peridot2/Hosted/St%20Francis%20Folly.mp3

Be honest I couldn't get what I felt was metal. The DC solid metal fit that bill nicely.

• Members

The world needs more high gain preamps, IMHO.
:)

Well, here's a thing...calling this a preamp is an understatement. The second tube generates power-amp style distortion and you get an output with cabinet emulation (which is REALLY good)...so what you really have here is a preamp + power amp + cab + mic in a small box, perfect for direct recording.

Maybe used with an actual amp it's not that good (but that's what the Solid Metal is for). But for its main purpose, i.e. all tube direct recording, it is unbeatable.

None of the other tube preamps give you this end-to-end functionality.

P.S. I will say one negative thing about it...the power input is a bit flaky, sometimes the pedal switched off on me, it seems it does not connect perfectly to the AC power supply. The solution supposedly is to take a thin exacto knife and gently pry apart the split shaft so that it connects better and then the problem disappears. Nevertheless, this is a minor gripe.

P.S.S. I like the Demonizer so much I am actually saving up to buy the Womanizer and have a dual-channel (clean/distortion) all tube direct recording setup.

• Members

If I buy one, would changing the tubes to Tung Sol tubes give me that same tone as the Solid Metal pedal? If not, then I might just get a Solid Metal and call it a day. I also like Zvex's Box of Metal but if I'm dropping 3 bills, its gonna be for something like this rather than a glorified dirt box.

if you like multi effects check out the glass nexus...

high end sound with cool stomp box functionality...repaced all my time based effects as good or better than them in most cases....

The Boss GT-8 is perfect for me. Its way too flexible for me to reconstruct my set up.

• Members

The only endorsement that I care about comes from the current lead guitarist of Queensryche. Unfortunately, I think his tone sucks, and so I have never been interested in looking further. I miss Chris Degarmo's lead work (and musical talent... and lyrical genius... but not so much the insistence on tight leather pants all the time, this ain't the 80s anymore buddy)

• Members

eh... I kinda suck. Well fwiw

MIM Fender pwrhse strat (hot rails, vintage, lipstick tube pups) --> demonizer --> Glass Nexus --> multitrack

http://www.mediamax.com/peridot2/Hosted/demonizer.mp3

I like the cab emulation they have going. And really, ironically, the cleans are stellar sounding. The Metal tone there is not bad... better than some of the other clips I've heard but still not "run out and buy it" mind blowing. But that's just personal taste...

Well, here's a thing...calling this a preamp is an understatement. The second tube generates power-amp style distortion and you get an output with cabinet emulation (which is REALLY good)...so what you really have here is a preamp + power amp + cab + mic in a small box, perfect for direct recording.

Maybe used with an actual amp it's not that good (but that's what the Solid Metal is for). But for its main purpose, i.e. all tube direct recording, it is unbeatable.

Yeah, that's sort of the same reason people {censored} all over PODs, too. It's really excellent as a modeler and recording tool out of the box but it requires a lot of jacking around to get working well as a preamp (which it can do for the most part) so a lot of people just go on about how terrible it is because it excels at one thing but not another.

Anyway, ironically, that's why the demonizer got on my radar screen the first time around I thought "Line 6 guys using tubes that should rock!!".

I checked their latest samples on the www site and still am unimpressed with the clips but amazingly enough the video sounds much better to me and the volume knob thing he does is really impressive. Pretty cool. The video also convinced me that with the pre/post EQ scheme it is likely way more versatile than it appears and that could be similar to the POD, too, in the whole, "they give you way more than enough rope to hang yourself with" department. ;)

Interesting discussion! If any other fans or people with contrary experience want to chime in let it rip! Anyone with more clips would be cool, too! ;)

• Members

Well, I cannot say how well it works with an amp...but for direct recording...it's the real thing. I just love how easy it is to get a good sound...once you add a simple EQ pedal you get even more tonal options.

And even with the higher gain Tung-Sol tubes I can go from ultra-clean to face melting metal by just turning up the Drive level, so the range of tones is very wide.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived