MXR 10-band EQ?

TheAtomicJeff

• Members

Who here is using one of these? I haven't bought any gear in several months and I'm thinking I want to reintroduce a pedal EQ back into the mix. I'll probably run it through the FX loop.

Pros and cons? I don't want another Boss GE-7, so I'm hoping the MXR unit will be a good fit. My amp is a Dabeck custom JTM-45 clone.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

• Members

i use one (not very often mind you as i've been a guitar>super duper>amp guy of late)... but it's a 10-band graphic eq.. non-tb if that's an issue to you (bypass sounds fine), 10 bands (the lower freq bands have a lesser effect i've found), solidly built, dual outputs (with the KFK model), and needs to run at 18V.. not particularly noisy unless you're boosting far too much...

it's alright, i suppose. i'm not going to rave about an eq pedal, but it's not a piece of junk either.. i've played a ge-7 which was noisy... and i went for the mxr.

• Members

I run an M-109 6-band eq and like it.
Tried the 10-band and realized I didn't need it, the 6 is plenty.
Runs on 9v too. Trick is to start with all sliders flat, then slightly cut the ones you want. They're VERY sensitive to the slightest adjustments, and I have enough dirt boxes where I don't need the eq as a boost (it can get a little hissy if you pump the sliders too much)
Like I said, use the sliders to cut, not to boost, and it's a great unit.

• Members

I have and like the MXR 10 band. I use it in my effects loop. I have been setting it to the suggested "clean" setting or whatever it's called. Anyway, when I play without distortion, it makes my Traynor amp very fendery sounding bossted in this manner (the instructions gives you several suggestions). It's a great eq for the money.

• Members

I have one and I like it a lot. I live in an apartment and my Mesa Studio .22+ is way too loud to even turn the master volume past 1 most of the time which makes it hard to get good tone, but with this pedal I can get good tone even at a low volume. The red leds are pretty cool. My only complaint is that the sliders only go to +- 12 db. I would like to see 15 or even 18 like other pedals have.

Archived