How do you run your dual amp set-ups?

justintee

• Members

Whether it be stereo, panned, etc...

I'm getting a second amp, a little 5-watter in addition to my 30-watt tube marshall... i've always wanted to run a clean/clean switchable to a clean/dirty rig.. i'd probably use the 5-watter for clean cause it's so much more beaut than the 30-watter (but at 5 watts it's going to be a dirty/dirty likely :D)...

it's going to be tricky for me to set it up clean/dirty; so basically i'll probably run the 2 amps from the outputs of my dd-6 or the dry/wet of my redwitch empress chorus...

hence my curiosity: how do you run your two amplifiers?

• Members

well if your running a 5w amp in with a 30w. the 30w is going to eat the 5w in two seconds.

The 5 watter is going to not be clean after you crank it to compete with the 30w.

I'm currently trying to devise some kind of dual amp rig. I'm currently stuck on.

Marshall JCM800

DRz Maz Jr 2x10 (a loud {censored}ing 18w./ kinda like an ac30 clone for those of you not in the know.)

Basically i want to run them in unison. And use my drive pedals to bring out the best in both beasts. Have the jcm800 on a crunchy clean setting. And the maz more dominant for the clean tones. When the maz is set for that its really loud and punchy. And then when i wanted to massive gain i'd hit my higher gain pushing pedals "Muff / Eternity " to get that creamy crunchy marshall tone.

Its a thought. Hasn't been tested. And it probably wont work. BUT. Its a thought. But there are many bands with this setup that have done it live. Not sure on the way they had their amps going though. They probably did some line switching.

Frank black

Swerve Driver

Thrice.

And i'm sure some others.

• Members

that's why i said it'll probably be a dirty/dirty setup :D

definitely post when you do experiment with it.. i'm wondering about where i should split my signal.. i might have the 5 watter without any pedals in front, and everything (including delay, modulation) going into the jtm30...

• Members

I've used A/B+Y pedals in the past which are obviously more flexible tone-wise, but now I just split the amps with a stereo effect last in my chain. I found that I rarely switched between the amps and instead chose to get the variety by using different dirt boxes.

• Members

I play with two Crate Palamino's and I run stereo out of my Line 6 DL-4 & MM-4. I play w/ both amps on the dirty channel w/ very light gain. Got to use my stereo rig for the first time last night and I was blown away by the big sound and the depth of the stereo effects.

I would suggest getting an amp that closer in wattage to your Marshall, or just picking up another Marshall.

I used to run an A/B/Y setup w/ a Rectifier half stack & a Roland JC120. I could never get them to balance well. But the clean tone on the rec. w/ the JC at the same time was sweet.

• Members

.......but now I just split the amps with a stereo effect last in my chain. I found that I rarely switched between the amps and instead chose to get the variety by using different dirt boxes.

That's pretty much what I do. You'll have to experiment with different combinations. I run the stereo outputs from my Echo Park to my Hot Rod Dlx on the left and my Pignose on the right. I tried using only the dist channel on my HRD for dirt while leaving the other amp clean and it was ok but I now use 2 or 3 pedals for different OD/Dist options and I like this better.

• Members

I run a 100 watt Marshall JMP w/4x12 on one side

a 50 watt Ampeg Superjet 1x12 combo on the other

i use a looper live, so what I do is bypass the looper for the Ampeg, and let the Marshall handle all that signal, but they both amplify whatever i'm playing at the time.

the ampeg is set to glassy clean, with a little of the natural spring reverb on it.

the marshall is set to slightly dirty, no reverb.

i have a line 6 trem/panning pedal that I sometimes use to create some panning swirls, but not much.

stereo rigs are teh secks.

• Members

I run a L/C/R rig when I play at church. AC30 and a Roadking combo. I use a 2x12 extension cab with the Roadking for the center channel and the AC30 and RK combo are panned hard left/right. It's a lot of gear to haul for 5-6 songs but the tone is worth it. It makes me smile every time I play. All my stereo effects are routed through my pedalboard using the effects loops on the amps. I only have delays and tremolo in stereo now, looking for a good stereo reverb to add in.

• Members

I use an ab/y. got a 5w tube amp and a 40w ss one. Still messing about with setting up my pedals in the order that I want, but I'm currently enjoying having just overdrive/distortion/delay into the tube amp, then mainly phase/envelope filter/trem with just one dirt pedal into the ss one, which has its own reverb.

I'm tending to just use them both on at the same time at the moment

• Members

In the metal band, I was using a Mesa Nomad 2x12, and a Peavey Butcher with 2x12 cab with a stereo delay at the end of the chain set to like 15-20ms for just the slightest amount of separation. I was using an ABY for a while but I really loved how {censored}ing enormous a slight delay would make everything sound.

• Members

thanks for the responses. great to hear, pretty interesting rigs around here..

i'll probably set my guitar>super duper>aby and split 1-2 od pedals into the 5 watter, and the rest of my modulation/delay into the 30 watter.. have to get the amp first though and see what everything sounds like individually...

Archived