Which are the quietest foot-switches? I need a quiet switch.

Screenery

• Members

After sending in and receiving back several pedals that underwent modifications, as well as after purchasing a few boutique pedals, I've noticed that that many of them have very loud footswitches, especially compared to the quieter footswitches of cheap pedals like Line 6/Boss/Digitech. I know that some people might say that that they are "high quality" switches (and I'm sure they are) and that noise must be accepted, but since I record with my pedal board about 6 feet away from my amp (I have to, due to room size limitations.), it is important to me to have as quiet of footswitches as possible.

What are the most quiet footswitches available for regular on/off switching?

One example is this "soft touch" momentary switch, but i don't know if it can be used for on/off because it is momentary, but it looks virtually identical to the original switch in my Digitech Whammy pedal, which is very quiet:

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=672

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Categories.bok?category=Switches

This one also "looks" quiet: http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=454

I don't really know much of anything about pedal electronics, nor which of the following switches would be used for a simple on/off function, with an LED or without an LED: SPDT, DPDT, 3PDT, 4PDT. So I apologize in advance for the ignorance that I have in discussing this issue. But knowing which switches to request if I have a pedal modification done or order a custom pedal, or eventually make my own, would be very helpful!

Any links as to which switches are most quiet and useable for simple switching would be nice to see as well.

• Members

After sending in and receiving back several pedals that underwent modifications, as well as after purchasing a few boutique pedals, I've noticed that that many of them have very loud footswitches, especially compared to the quieter footswitches of cheap pedals like Line 6/Boss/Digitech. I know that some people might say that that they are "high quality" switches (and I'm sure they are) and that noise must be accepted, but since I record with my pedal board about 6 feet away from my amp (I have to, due to room size limitations.), it is important to me to have as quiet of footswitches as possible.

What are the most quiet footswitches available for regular on/off switching?

One example is this "soft touch" momentary switch, but i don't know if it can be used for on/off because it is momentary, but it looks virtually identical to the original switch in my Digitech Whammy pedal, which is very quiet:

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=672

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Categories.bok?category=Switches

This one also "looks" quiet:
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=454

I don't really know much of anything about pedal electronics, nor which of the following switches would be used for a simple on/off function, with an LED or without an LED: SPDT, DPDT, 3PDT, 4PDT. So I apologize in advance for the ignorance that I have in discussing this issue. But knowing which switches to request if I have a pedal modification done or order a custom pedal, or eventually make my own, would be very helpful!

Any links as to which switches are most quiet and useable for simple switching would be nice to see as well.

:blah::blah::blah:

The InvisiSwitch Mach IV, tap your foot anywhere, indoors or out. And you can't hear it. Very lightweight. Fits on any pedal board. Wireless. If u could see it, it would be pink.

HTH

THE GREAT ICE HOUSE:evil:

• Members

It's all about what you need a particular switch to do. A Boss/Ibanez/Digitech etc pedal will usually have just a momentary switch that in turn controls an electronic mute system. Most boutique type pedals skip the electronic system, in favour of using the switch to directly control the actual audio signal. That is a completely different approach, which requires a different type of switch - usually a latching switch, either DPDT or 3PDT.

A latching DPDT or 3PDT can not simply be replaced with a momentary SPST, as they work in quite different ways. To use one of those, you'd need to add some way to switch the audio signal (electronic mute system

• Members

What are used then on the Lehle pedals, or the Whirlwind Selector A/B/A+B pedal. Do those use electronic mute systems? I find them both to be quite silent pedals.

For example, if I had my original WH-1 Whammy pedal modded for true bypass, for example, and I find that the footswitch is now way too mechanically loud, what do I do? Is my $400 pedal now forever doomed to remain that way? Or is there a quiet switch that might do the trick?

Which are the quietest DPDT and 3PDT switches?

• Members

I think a good solution here is to either isolate your amplifier, move your board to another room with longer cables, or simply play louder so the amp drowns out the switches.

LOL at the "this switch looks quiet" comment. Go try a Russian Big Muff and come back.

The switches on Lehle pedals are momentary. The part you step on is actually just a big fake button on top.

• Members

What are used then on the Lehle pedals, or the Whirlwind Selector A/B/A+B pedal. Do those use electronic mute systems? I find them both to be quite silent pedals.

For example, if I had my original WH-1 Whammy pedal modded for true bypass, for example, and I find that the footswitch is now way too mechanically loud, what do I do? Is my $400 pedal now forever doomed to remain that way? Or is there a quiet switch that might do the trick?

Which are the quietest DPDT and 3PDT switches?

True Bypass Loop?

• Members

LOL at the "this switch looks quiet" comment. Go try a Russian Big Muff and come back.

Yeah, I was asking for it with that one. Heck, I was asking for it with this whole thread.

Thanks p00n for the TBL suggestion. That's why I'm now considering the Little Lehle. Thx djfu and ned flanders for the info as well.

• Members

Can't pursue the first two options. The only useable room in my house is the 15x12' "home studio" room with over 20 instruments in it (including a glockenspiel, vibraphone, hammer dulcimer, two racks, a desk, 2 MIDI controllers, some analog synths, a celesta, a sitar, 5 guitars, 2 amps). This whole switching issue would one pose a problem for quiet parts. Maybe the only solution is to play louder, but then my room and all the other instruments in it would be more likely to sympathetically vibrate strongly. Since I like to record frequently and sometimes the need to record a part comes up unexpectedly, moving the symp-vibrating instruments out of the room for every recording isn't feasible either.

Taking this comment and combining it with Andreas' confuses me. If I correctly interpreted what Andreas wrote ("directly control the actual audio signal", instead of "controlling an electronic mute system"), you can't have a momentary switch for true bypass, which many Lehle pedals, like the Little Lehle, claim to be.

Yeah, I was asking for it with that one. Heck, I was asking for it with this whole thread.

Thanks p00n for the TBL suggestion. That's why I'm now considering the Little Lehle. Thx djfu and ned flanders for the info as well.

If I had a nickel for every time a company claimed a pedal was true bypass and it wasn't Id have about $9.75.

• Members

Hi Screenery,

the Little Lehle is a real "True Bypass" Switcher, but this Box works not with a momentary switch. Here you can see how the Switching inside the Little Lehle works: http://www.lehle.com/products/LittleLehle/printversion.php?country=us?=en&type=Little%20Lehle

There are two gold-plated 4PDT switches soldered on a double layer PCB. The knob, which is fixed in the top, presses on a little sheet of metal. This actuates the two switches.

The switching mechanism is more quiet than a standard DPDT switch. You have to check if it works for you.

The switching inside the bigger Switchers like the new SGoS-models works totally different. Like NITEFLY182 says there are momentary switches below the buttons. Of course it is not a fake! It is the result of a development from more than on year. The momentary switches are connected to a microcontroler and the switching itself is made with gold-plated relays, controled by the microcontroler. This is the best solution for the tone. You can have the MIDI-access, you can network several Switchers an many things more.

A standard DPDT switch makes about 20,000 switching cycles. My systems is built to last 2,000,000 cycles. This works only with special momentary switches in combination with gold-plated relays.

One last word about "True Bypass":

Standard footswitches contain contact materials originally developed for the routing of larger currents, as this is their main operational area. This becomes audible when after a longer time of use the resonating tone of a guitar suddenly cuts off. Compared to the direct path of lead to instrument to amp, the sound of an instrument routed via a chain of switched off

• Members

Why not just use a standard relay with an electronic momentary switch if you want quiet and true bypass? The reason they are not used in production is probably because they are another mechanical part that can wear out. There are also several electronic switching ICs which have been used in relatively high-end consumer electronics that could be used to provide almost true bypass (1-2 ohm on resistance). Of course they have to remain under power to switch.

• Members

The Alpha DPDTs are louder than the X-wings I think. If you can get info on actuation force, that's basically it, since when it pop's it's like hitting the body with a little hammer. Ther are mini-DPDTs etc., forgot, such as the plastic MXR pedals used, and lots of big weird switches you might find in surplus assorted bags that end in a sheetmetal piece instead of a button and push-on, push and RELEASE for off.

The Boss looper idea actually might have something -- get the pedals in the loop enabled as you will need before pressing record, then use it to bring them in.

• Members

Taking this comment and combining it with Andreas' confuses me. If I correctly interpreted what Andreas wrote ("directly control the actual audio signal", instead of "controlling an electronic mute system"), you can't have a momentary switch for true bypass, which many Lehle pedals, like the Little Lehle, claim to be.

A momentary switch can be used to control a relay, which in turn controls the audio signal. That's how the bigger Lehles are wired.

If you want to have your Whammy modded to TB, and still use a momentary switch, you need someone who can wire the audio part using a relay. The relay itself will (physically) emit a "click" when switching over, but the stomp switch will not make as much noise as a 3PDT would.

That said, by far the easiest way to handle your situation would be to do what nitefly said - add a screen of some sort between the pedalboard and mic/amp.

/Andreas

• Members

A momentary switch can be used to control a relay, which in turn controls the audio signal. That's how the bigger Lehles are wired.

If you want to have your Whammy modded to TB, and still use a momentary switch, you need someone who can wire the audio part using a relay. The relay itself will (physically) emit a "click" when switching over, but the stomp switch will not make as much noise as a 3PDT would.

That said, by far the easiest way to handle your situation would be to do what nitefly said - add a screen of some sort between the pedalboard and mic/amp.

/Andreas

Andreas, thank you for the explanations. When I use the Lehle Dual, which uses those relays, I definitely hear a mechanical click, but it is very quiet. It is either the switch or the relay. Nonetheless, I don't hear any noise in the signal chain.

True, I could definitely try recording with a hypercardiod mic or a baffle like the sE Electronics Instrument Reflexion Filter , but I have a feeling that that will mess with the open-air "breathing" sound of the amp in the room.

Archived