Voodoolab Superfuzz

Fine_Young_Fool

• Members

It's the longest-owned pedal I have. It was my first dirt box years and years ago, and I still have it. Works really well as a cutting, crunchy overdrive with fender amps. That being said, mine's up for sale right now because I have too many pedals and I use a varidrive for OD now.

Does a great bluesy, trashy fuzz sound too. Think Jon Spencer, garage rock kinda sound.

BTW, when you said "digress", I think you meant "disagree" Rev :cop:

• Members

I digress but I dislike all VooDoo Labs products. I vote for you to save your money. Unless you can try one out locally without having to throw any money down - then if YOU like it for your rig - buy it.
:cool:

Really? That surprises me. What in particular do you not like about them? :confused:

I like them a lot and think they're one of the better mass produced pedals out there as far as tone goes...especially for the money...especially if you buy them used. :thu:

• Members

Having compared the VL and the Monsterpiece angry dick side by side, I can tell you that they're vastly different animals. The VL is MUCH tamer and under control, two eq controls, cleans up better.... I mean, the AD2K doesn't even have adjustable gain, it's just balls to the walls all the time.

I'm not saying the AD2k isn't cool, but the VL is a far, far more versatile box.

• Members
Really? That surprises me. What in particular do you not like about them?
:confused:

I like them a lot and think they're one of the better mass produced pedals out there as far as tone goes...especially for the money...especially if you buy them used.
:thu:

Like I told the guy - if he likes it for his rig - buy it. :thu:

I bought three different ones all at once back a few years ago and my impressions was that they sounded somewhat cheesy... I just didn't get all the hype that was on this forum then - and that's why I bought 3 different models and then returned all to Musicians Friend.

This reminds me of the folks who hate the Zinky True Grit overdrive/boost - and I love mine. It's all so... so.... so.... subjective... :cry:

:lol:

• Members
Like I told the guy - if he likes it for his rig - buy it.
:thu:

I bought three different ones all at once back a few years ago and my impressions was that they sounded somewhat
cheesy
... I just didn't get all the hype that was on this forum then - and that's why I bought 3 different models and then returned all to Musicians Friend.

This reminds me of the folks who hate the Zinky True Grit overdrive/boost - and I love mine. It's all so... so.... so....
subjective...
:cry:

:lol:

Just curious...which three did you buy? :)

• Members

it's a Jordan Bosstone clone.

I have the AngryDick 2000 made by Monsterpiece which is also a Bosstone clone, and if the voodoo labs is anything like that you'll LOVE it!

I don't want to brag, but I'm the one responsible for Richard making the AD2000 in the first place. I heard a clip of a Jordan Bosstone and asked him if he'd make me one. He said he would and I got #001. Richard, and some others that I've talked to say the the VL Superfuzz is not even close to the Jordan BT, circuit wise. Having said that the Superfuzz is a great sounding fuzz in it's own rite.

• Members

I have the VL Bosstone, which was the precursor to the Superfuzz, without the EQ. For me the Bosstone tone was great, but the pedals seems to vary greatly and many people had far worse sounding models. I believe some of this has carried over to the SUperfuzz, but have little experience myself.

Muff is a different animal. The Bosstone/Superfuzz though does give a good, thick, raspy fuzz that more in line with the psychedelic '60s sounds (as oppose to the Fuzz Face tones of Jimi).

But all and all, I would vote against buying Voodoo Labs, their quality just hasn't been up to par. The tales of extra noise, inconsistent tone, early death, and bad switches aren't exaggerated; these have been continuous problems for VL, which they have failed to correct. You can get a great VL pedal and you can get a dog, and I just don't roll the dice knowing that there or dozens of other companies putting out a more consistent product.

• Members
I have the VL Bosstone, which was the precursor to the Superfuzz, without the EQ. For me the Bosstone tone was great, but the pedals seems to vary greatly and many people had far worse sounding models. I believe some of this has carried over to the SUperfuzz, but have little experience myself.

Muff is a different animal. The Bosstone/Superfuzz though does give a good, thick, raspy fuzz that more in line with the psychedelic '60s sounds (as oppose to the Fuzz Face tones of Jimi).

But all and all, I would vote against buying Voodoo Labs, their quality just hasn't been up to par. The tales of extra noise, inconsistent tone, early death, and bad switches aren't exaggerated; these have been continuous problems for VL, which they have failed to correct. You can get a great VL pedal and you can get a dog, and I just don't roll the dice knowing that there or dozens of other companies putting out a more consistent product.

Yeah. What he said. :wave::thu:

• Members

I don't want to brag, but I'm the one responsible for Richard making the AD2000 in the first place. I heard a clip of a Jordan Bosstone and asked him if he'd make me one. He said he would and I got #001. Richard, and some others that I've talked to say the the VL Superfuzz is not even close to the Jordan BT, circuit wise. Having said that the Superfuzz is a great sounding fuzz in it's own rite.

I have both the D*ck and the Superfuzz. Soundwise, slightly different pews, but both solidly in the church of Jordan Bosstone.

• Members

It's not the easiest pedal to make work as a do-all dirt unit, but I happen to think it's pretty excellent, unlike the rest of their line. Good for garage-y rhythm work. I really liked it stacked with other light ODs/boosts for sustaining leads that still had some definition to them. Had one on my board for several years and really didn't have any good reason for selling it other than silly desires to try new things (most of which didn't work out as well.)

fun on bass, too.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived